Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2017, 09:25 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,400,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallowsCalibrator View Post
Ugh. These lawmakers are dumb.
Or just well funded by special interests.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2017, 09:26 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,525,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peequi View Post
Did main stream media cover this at all?

I like most of you, am involved with politics more than the average American, and this one seems to be moving along quietly.

When I asked, was it covered? I mean giving a meaningful amount of time and energy. I can almost find any story if I search it in CNN, but that is not what I mean by cover. I think you know what I mean.
Yes it was on CBS Evening News last night but it was buried in middle of broadcast and little explanation with story.

Old 03-29-2017, 09:28 AM

12,601 posts, read 7,229,051 times
House Rep. Pushing To Set Back Online Privacy Rakes In Industry Funds - Vocativ

Quote:
The campaign contributions started small, with a handful of donations of a few thousand dollars each. In recent elections, however, it’s ballooned, with AT&T, Comcast, and Verizon each giving one of their favorite politicians in Congress between $15,000 and $20,000 every two years. All told, Rep. Marsha Blackburn (R-TN), author of a controversial resolution to let internet providers sell customers’ search histories to advertisers without notice or permission, has racked up well over half a million dollars in campaign donations from that industry over the course of her career.

Privacy advocates are resoundingly against the resolution, designed to undo rules created by President Obama’s Federal Communications Commission in the waning days of his administration. The rules mandated internet providers like Comcast and Verizon get customers’ permission before offering sensitive search histories, like financial and health information, to marketers.

But an extended look at her history of industry campaign donations to her, comprised of both individuals in the industry and their associated political action committees, shows that the industry has substantially financed her election campaigns over the course of her 14-year congressional career, totaling at least $693,000.
Bought and paid for.

Old 03-29-2017, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Yes it was on CBS Evening News last night but it was buried in middle of broadcast and little explanation with story.

I think I'm gonna suggest to my Congress people that since they apparently think this information should be readily available that they should post links to their personal browsing histories on their Congressional web sites as well as links to the browsing histories of any computers used by their staff people that are publicly funded. I encourage everyone who disagrees with their votes to do the same.

Old 03-29-2017, 09:38 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,265,578 times
Whatever possessed them to do pass this idiotic bill? The Dems should make a large public outcry about it. Cannot believe there is anyone using the internet who would be in favor of this. This is disgusting.

Why didn't Rand Paul vote? I thought he was for total privacy. Here is the roll call vote:

https://www.senate.gov/legislative/L...n=1&vote=00094

https://www.govtrack.us/congress/votes/115-2017/s94

Old 03-29-2017, 09:44 AM

1,187 posts, read 1,023,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peequi View Post
Did main stream media cover this at all?

I like most of you, am involved with politics more than the average American, and this one seems to be moving along quietly.

When I asked, was it covered? I mean giving a meaningful amount of time and energy. I can almost find any story if I search it in CNN, but that is not what I mean by cover. I think you know what I mean.
All democrats are with No vote. At least they are with people. They should make lot of noise on this. CNN and all media is owned by same corporations. It is all down to small contributors on the net to fight for common man. There is a reason for putting lot of pressure on blogs in the name of fake news by big media.

Old 03-29-2017, 09:51 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,171,483 times
On the plus side, Misha Collins started a GoFundMe to specifically buy the internet data of Congressional reps who voted in favor.

Old 03-29-2017, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallowsCalibrator View Post
On the plus side, Misha Collins started a GoFundMe to specifically buy the internet data of Congressional reps who voted in favor.

GREAT Idea! Although I think Congressional people, at lesat those who voted Aye, should be required to supply that info for free along with the histories of any computer used by their office that's publicly funded.

Old 03-29-2017, 09:56 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,265,578 times
This appears to be about an agency turf war, in which the consumers lose. Jeff Flake wrote an op-ed claiming it would protect privacy. Rand Paul co-sponsored the Senate bill allowing the House to pass the privacy repeals. I don't get it.

S.J. Res. 34 co-sponsors include: U.S. Sens. John Barrasso (R-Wyo.), Roy Blunt (R-Mo.), John Boozman (R-Ark.), Shelly Moore Capito (R-W.Va.), Thad Cochran (R-Miss.), John Cornyn (R-Texas), Tom Cotton (R-Ark.), Ted Cruz (R-Texas), Deb Fischer (R-Neb.), Orrin Hatch (R-Utah), Dean Heller (R-Nev.), James Inhofe (R-Okla.), Ron Johnson (R-Wisc.), Mike Lee (R-Utah), Rand Paul (R-Ky.), Pat Roberts (R-Kan.), Marco Rubio (R-Fla.), Richard Shelby (R-Ala.), Dan Sullivan (R-Ark.), John Thune (R-S.D.), Roger Wicker (R-Miss.), Ron Johnson (R-Wisc.), and Jerry Moran (R-Kan.).

https://www.flake.senate.gov/public/...net-regulation

Old 03-29-2017, 09:58 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,081,779 times
Wait till the Donalds or the hussies health details are splashed all over the internet because his ISP released the data. We'll learn what sort of cosmetic eye surgery or breast augmentation Melania had, or what they did to Donald's hair to get it to look like a disheveled birds nest.

And he will be pizzed.

Sorry Donald. I know it is hard for you, but should have thought before you leapt at helping your corporate buddies to make more $$$. And just wait til the evil press gets ahold of your private stuff......wheeee......if you were angry before, wait til your personal stuff all becomes public fodder because YOU allowed it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies