Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2020, 02:21 AM

9,981 posts, read 5,684,706 times

Advertisements

Sometimes we forget to follow up on these cases to see how they are resolved.

In this case the defendant was sentenced to 32 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2020, 03:27 AM

11,122 posts, read 5,593,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Am I the only one that thinks its dumb to charge her with that? There are tons of things you can charge her with but we are diluting the meaning of 1st degree murder. Why not just call everything 1st degree murder.

I've never liked the concept of this sort of charge. An accomplice is killed during a crime and the survivor is charged with their murder. If anyone is killed on the perpetrators side, than all the perps may be charged with their murder. It's a ridiculous stretch of the circumstances. But of course, the cops and prosecutors love it. More scalps to hang on their walls. The mistake should not be made, to think that those enforcers are on your or the public's side. They are on their own side, looking to promote their careers.

Old 01-05-2020, 08:45 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,253,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
I've never liked the concept of this sort of charge. An accomplice is killed during a crime and the survivor is charged with their murder. If anyone is killed on the perpetrators side, than all the perps may be charged with their murder. It's a ridiculous stretch of the circumstances. But of course, the cops and prosecutors love it. More scalps to hang on their walls. The mistake should not be made, to think that those enforcers are on your or the public's side. They are on their own side, looking to promote their careers.
I disagree. I believe we have too many legal restrictions on free people, because of the acts of criminals. That if you make the punishment for criminal activity more harsh than it currently is, that deterrent, will allow law abiding people to have more freedom.

For example, there is no reason that a law abiding person shouldn’t be allowed to walk down the streets of NYC with a concealed handgun. But because of the things criminals do, law abiding people are not allowed to protect themselves.

The answer to this, is to let anyone carry a gun, but make the punishment for crimes, double or triple what they already are, when a gun is involved in the crime.

And I am not even a gun advocate. I have shot at firing ranges maybe 4 or 5 times in my life, but I have never owned a gun. My point is just that, in the name of freedom for non criminals, we need to be more harsh on criminals, not less, as you are advocating.

Old 01-05-2020, 09:03 AM

24,415 posts, read 23,070,474 times
He can still salvage some of his life if he turns himself around in prison and gets paroled after whatever time they feel is justified. They could have thrown the book at him but were pretty lenient given the circumstances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies