Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2017, 11:23 AM

4,996 posts, read 2,445,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
Please stop trying to justify this PC nonsense. At best, you are misguided.

OK..what does this thread have to do with 'PC'?

Employers in my area hire who they think can do the job..with the less hassle..Political Correctness has noting to do with it--if anything, where I live..the pressure is against the immigrant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2017, 11:28 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
Funny how all of a sudden liberals are pretending they never smoke weed.
I've never smoked it.

Old 03-31-2017, 11:35 AM

19,637 posts, read 12,231,401 times
Random drug testing is stupid. If employees are doing a good job, let them be.

Old 03-31-2017, 11:53 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,112,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilEyeFleegle View Post
OK..what does this thread have to do with 'PC'?

Employers in my area hire who they think can do the job..with the less hassle..Political Correctness has noting to do with it--if anything, where I live..the pressure is against the immigrant.
Encouraging illegals is PC.

Old 03-31-2017, 11:54 AM

2,003 posts, read 1,168,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Until they come in high, injure themselves or others then the employer is on the hook. There are some jobs where being high isn't an issue. It matters with , manufacturing/skilled labor/factory jobs.

Old 03-31-2017, 11:55 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,211,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Random drug testing is used to curb drug use. If you knew that you were likely to get tested and if you got a positive result you would lose your job, many would not use drugs.
Companies lose money due to drug use. Accidents cost money in lawsuits, shoddy workmanship can cost in lost sales, heck the German BMW line was shut down due to factory workers drug use and that cost them a million dollars.
Stoned Assembly Line Workers Cost BMW $1 Million in One Day, Report Claims - The Drive

Prevention is cheaper than fixing the screw up and retraining for the position.

Old 03-31-2017, 11:56 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,754,224 times
Quote:
This thread is about refugees, not illegals. Says so right in the title. Although I'm sure that many of the statements about refugees also apply to illegals.

Old 03-31-2017, 12:56 PM

4,996 posts, read 2,445,794 times
Quote:
How does anything here 'encourage' illegals? I'm talking about legal immigrants..otherwise they couldn't work anyway..not in our factories.

Old 03-31-2017, 02:54 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,940,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
Well, they drug-test the refugees as well, and the ones they've hired were clean.

I could care less if people smoke pot. I think it should be legal everywhere. But for now, companies have the right to drug test and many of them do. If you need a job, you need to put down the weed. Or work on changing the laws.

It's what they tell us......

The problem is they have no idea if the person smoked pot 5 mins before the test or 3 weeks ago at some party and hadn't smoked since. This is why I think testing for pot is a scam.

Old 03-31-2017, 03:12 PM

7,150 posts, read 4,906,179 times
Overall, refugees, newly arrived immigrants and first generation immigrants work HARDER than the average American. They are THANKFUL for their job and they are HAPPIER at work, more cooperative. They do not **** and moan all day long. They WANT to get ahead, they realize that an ENTRY level job is a stepping stone. They VALUE their job and look at it as a means to give their kids a better EDUCATION.

I say the above based on 31+ years in the workforce, the last 22 of them as a department head with a staff of 30 in DC-Metro.

After the fall of Saigon, DC-Metro was the place many Vietnamese refugees came to; many of them had worked for the US Government in South Vietnam and were accorded expedited refugee status since their lives and families lives were in jeopardy once the North Vietnamese won that war.

I had the pleasure of hiring many of these refugees as auditors. Numbers is not a language barrier! Also, I hired a number of support staff as typists (this was before word processing was standard). Again, a strong command of English wasn't needed....they typed what was written in longhand by other staff.

At any given time, the number of refugees I had on staff was about 35%. This 35% caused me zero personnel issues...I don't recall any of them ever being late for work! No whining if overtime was needed....they welcomed the extra pay at time and 1/2. No calling in sick every Monday or Friday, like some of the non-immigrant workers.

Over the years I also hired other immigrants; Filipino and Mexican mostly. And they had the same work ethic as the Vietnamese.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies