Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2017, 09:51 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,750,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Please document that not smoking increases the rate of clearance. Please document the drama, too.

This oral contraceptive thing is a real red herring. OCs have been around for a little more than 50 years. Cervical cancer has been around much longer, the death rate was much higher in the pre-OC days. I believe we've had this conversation before, BTW, in this thread: //www.city-data.com/forum/curre...al-cancer.html

"As recently as the 1940s, cervical cancer was a major cause of death among women of childbearing age in the United States."

https://report.nih.gov/nihfactsheets...t.aspx?csid=76

This was well before the first OCs in the early 60s. The literature I have read about OCs talks about long-term use (although that is not defined) being a contributing factor. The causative agent is HPV.
I've given you plenty of documentation not only in this thread but in other threads, including the thread you linked above. It's amazing that you still won't acknowledge it. Please don't ask me to keep sharing information if you refuse to even read it and if you refuse to educate yourself on this matter.

Here's a few more sources for you.

HPV Infection plus Cigarette Smoking-A Deadly Combination
Quote:
Women who smoke while concurrently being infected with high levels of the human papillomavirus (HPV) increase their risk for cervical cancer by as much as 27-fold, show results of a new study (Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2006
https://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/...-fact-sheet#q6
Quote:
Long-term use of oral contraceptives (5 or more years) is associated with an increased risk of cervical cancer (12). An analysis of 24 epidemiologic studies found that the longer a woman used oral contraceptives, the higher her risk of cervical cancer. However, among women who stopped taking oral contraceptives, the risk tended to decline over time, regardless of how long they had used oral contraceptives before stopping (13).
The death rate was higher for cervical cancer in the 1940's because the 1940's was prior to the introduction of the pap smear which when it's use became more widespread (approximately 60% of women get regular paps) reduced the death rate by more then 60%. The pap smear is the reason why the death rate from cervical cancer dropped so dramatically.

https://www.report.nih.gov/nihfactsh...t.aspx?csid=76
Quote:
As recently as the 1940s, cervical cancer was a major cause of death among women of childbearing age in the United States. However, with the introduction in the 1950s of the Papanicolaou (Pap) smear – a simple test in which a sample of cervical cells is examined under a microscope to detect cellular abnormalities – the incidence of invasive cervical cancer declined dramatically. Between 1955 and 1992, U.S. cervical cancer incidence and death rates declined by more than 60%.

Old 04-07-2017, 10:07 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
I've given you plenty of documentation not only in this thread but in other threads, including the thread you linked above. It's amazing that you still won't acknowledge it. Please don't ask me to keep sharing information if you refuse to even read it and if you refuse to educate yourself on this matter.

Here's a few more sources for you.

HPV Infection plus Cigarette Smoking-A Deadly Combination

https://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/...-fact-sheet#q6

The death rate was higher for cervical cancer in the 1940's because the 1940's was prior to the introduction of the pap smear which when it's use became more widespread (approximately 60% of women get regular paps) reduced the death rate by more then 60%. The pap smear is the reason why the death rate from cervical cancer dropped so dramatically.

https://www.report.nih.gov/nihfactsh...t.aspx?csid=76
The first article, from 2009 says 27-fold, when the actual rate of increase is double.
Cervical Cancer: Risk Factors | Cancer.Net

Look at this "how to lie with statistics" statement in that link: "Women who smoked and had a high HPV-16 load at their first Pap smear had a 27-fold increased risk of cervical cancer in later years compared with smokers who were not infected with HPV"- See more at: HPV Infection plus Cigarette Smoking-A Deadly Combination
Well, no duh. Almost 100% of cervical cancer is caused by. . . . . H. . . P. . . V!

And lookit this: "The study, which may also help explain why some women may not get cervical cancer despite smoking or being HPV-positive, did not include enough women with high viral loads to determine whether smoking and HPV, by themselves, caused the disease."
We now know that virutally ALL cervical cancer is caused by. . . . H. . . P. . . V!

2nd link:
Long term use of OCs, yes, just as I said. Your data, from 2002, a mere 15 years ago now, says "Virtually all cervical cancers are caused by persistent infection with high-risk, or oncogenic, types of HPV, and the association of cervical cancer with oral contraceptive use is likely to be indirect. The hormones in oral contraceptives may change the susceptibility of cervical cells to HPV infection, affect their ability to clear the infection, or make it easier for HPV infection to cause changes that progress to cervical cancer. Questions about how oral contraceptives may increase the risk of cervical cancer will be addressed through ongoing research."

What has the research found in the last 15 years?

Re: #3. Yes. My point was there were no OC's then. Why was the rate so high then if OCs are a big cause? Note the female smoking rates in the 20-30 years leading up to 1940 as well (Cervical cancer takes many years to develop.) https://www.google.com/search?q=smok...FEYerXeMJ90aM:

Old 04-07-2017, 10:18 AM

Quote:
The first article, from 2009 says 27-fold, when the actual rate of increase is double.
Cervical Cancer: Risk Factors | Cancer.Net

Look at this "how to lie with statistics" statement in that link: "Women who smoked and had a high HPV-16 load at their first Pap smear had a 27-fold increased risk of cervical cancer in later years compared with smokers who were not infected with HPV"- See more at: HPV Infection plus Cigarette Smoking-A Deadly Combination
Well, no duh. Almost 100% of cervical cancer is caused by. . . . . H. . . P. . . V!

And lookit this: "The study, which may also help explain why some women may not get cervical cancer despite smoking or being HPV-positive, did not include enough women with high viral loads to determine whether smoking and HPV, by themselves, caused the disease."
We now know that virutally ALL cervical cancer is caused by. . . . H. . . P. . . V!

2nd link:
Long term use of OCs, yes, just as I said. Your data, from 2002, a mere 15 years ago now, says "Virtually all cervical cancers are caused by persistent infection with high-risk, or oncogenic, types of HPV, and the association of cervical cancer with oral contraceptive use is likely to be indirect. The hormones in oral contraceptives may change the susceptibility of cervical cells to HPV infection, affect their ability to clear the infection, or make it easier for HPV infection to cause changes that progress to cervical cancer. Questions about how oral contraceptives may increase the risk of cervical cancer will be addressed through ongoing research."

What has the research found in the last 15 years?

Re: #3. Yes. My point was there were no OC's then. Why was the rate so high then if OCs are a big cause? Note the female smoking rates in the 20-30 years leading up to 1940 as well (Cervical cancer takes many years to develop.) https://www.google.com/search?q=smok...FEYerXeMJ90aM:
Honestly, I have given you so much information from so many reputable sources (NIH, CDC, Cancer Society, etc.) both in this thread and in the thread you linked plus additional studies on the matter regarding smoking, oral contraceptives, pap smears. You are either willfully ignoring the information or you do not understand the information. I don't know which. I'm done trying. Believe whatever you want, even if it's not true.

Regarding #3. Cervical cancer was high in the 1940's because that was prior to the introduction and widespread use of the pap smear. The widespread use of the pap smear is the sole reason why cervical cancer rates dropped so dramatically. Pap smears prevent cervical cancer. Pap smears are the reason why the rate of cervical cancer dropped so dramatically. That doesn't mean that smoking and the long term use of certain oral contraceptives do not impact cervical cancer, it just means that cervical cancer rates were higher prior to the widespread use of the pap smear? If you don't understand this then I have no idea how to get through to you so I will give up and you can believe whatever you want about cervical cancer.

Old 04-07-2017, 10:31 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Honestly, I have given you so much information from so many reputable sources (NIH, CDC, Cancer Society, etc.) both in this thread and in the thread you linked plus additional studies on the matter regarding smoking, oral contraceptives, pap smears. You are either willfully ignoring the information or you do not understand the information. I don't know which. I'm done trying. Believe whatever you want, even if it's not true.

Regarding #3. Cervical cancer was high in the 1940's because that was prior to the introduction and widespread use of the pap smear. The widespread use of the pap smear is the sole reason why cervical cancer rates dropped so dramatically. Pap smears prevent cervical cancer. And pap smears are the reason why the rate of cervical cancer dropped so dramatically.
Thanks for giving me a good laugh! You're giving me information! You post a 7 year old article that concludes "The study, which may also help explain why some women may not get cervical cancer despite smoking or being HPV-positive, did not include enough women with high viral loads to determine whether smoking and HPV, by themselves, caused the disease." The study showed nothing!

Pap smears DO NOT prevent cancer. You've been told this many times. You could go get your cervix scraped daily and it still wouldn't prevent you from getting cancer. (It might cause a great deal of irritation though, if you did it that often.) Paps are a screening test, something you seem not able to understand. Sort of like getting an X-ray doesn't prevent a broken bone, only says if you have it or not. A pap will tell you if you have cancer or not; it won't prevent cancer. If caught before it spreads, cervical cancer can usually be treated successfully. THAT is the purpose of a pap, not prevention.

Old 04-07-2017, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Thanks for giving me a good laugh! You're giving me information! You post a 7 year old article that concludes "The study, which may also help explain why some women may not get cervical cancer despite smoking or being HPV-positive, did not include enough women with high viral loads to determine whether smoking and HPV, by themselves, caused the disease." The study showed nothing!

Pap smears DO NOT prevent cancer. You've been told this many times. You could go get your cervix scraped daily and it still wouldn't prevent you from getting cancer. (It might cause a great deal of irritation though, if you did it that often.) Paps are a screening test, something you seem not able to understand. Sort of like getting an X-ray doesn't prevent a broken bone, only says if you have it or not. A pap will tell you if you have cancer or not; it won't prevent cancer. If caught before it spreads, cervical cancer can usually be treated successfully. THAT is the purpose of a pap, not prevention.
Unbelievable!

Good luck.

Old 04-07-2017, 11:30 AM

10,236 posts, read 6,322,066 times
Regarding CDC's statistics that almost 50% of adults 19-59 have HPV, just WHO are they trying to push vaccination to? Parents to get their kids vaccinated? Does this mean parents, who given the statistics, HAVE HPV themselves? Why aren't they terrified already for themselves? If in majority of cases, it clears up on it's own, why would parents be concerned if they themselves were in that situation?

Young adults without kids who are 19-26 to get their own shots? More of the CCD's crying Wolf, again. It's an HPV EPIDEMIC! You need better marketing, CDC, than this.

Old 04-07-2017, 11:38 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,994,090 times
It's always the same people arguing over vaccines. Don't you guys get bored?

Old 04-07-2017, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Regarding CDC's statistics that almost 50% of adults 19-59 have HPV, just WHO are they trying to push vaccination to? Parents to get their kids vaccinated? Does this mean parents, who given the statistics, HAVE HPV themselves? Why aren't they terrified already for themselves? If in majority of cases, it clears up on it's own, why would parents be concerned if they themselves were in that situation?

Young adults without kids who are 19-26 to get their own shots? More of the CCD's crying Wolf, again. It's an HPV EPIDEMIC! You need better marketing, CDC, than this.

They want for girls ages 11 and 12 to get it. They also want girls up to the age of 26 to get it. I've noticed commercials on TV trying to play on parental guilt in an effort to get more parents on board with the HPV vaccine. This is one vaccine that even the most pro-vaccine parents tend to question.

Most adult women are not terrified of HPV or cervical cancer because they know that most HPV clears on it's own and that routine pap smears (obviously if it's abnormal one would get follow up treatment, duh!) will prevent cervical cancer. This is a hard one to scare parents into getting (chicken pox was another hard one especially for parents who remembered having it) but they are trying and they will keep trying until everyone is on board.

Old 04-07-2017, 11:51 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,488,320 times
Quote:
They want for girls ages 11 and 12 to get it. They also want girls up to the age of 26 to get it. I've noticed commercials on TV trying to play on parental guilt in an effort to get more parents on board with the HPV vaccine. This is one vaccine that even the most pro-vaccine parents tend to question.

Most adult women are not terrified of HPV or cervical cancer because they know that most HPV clears on it's own and that routine pap smears (obviously if it's abnormal one would get follow up treatment, duh!) will prevent cervical cancer. This is a hard one to scare parents into getting (chicken pox was another hard one especially for parents who remembered having it) but they are trying and they will keep trying until everyone is on board.
pap smears don't prevent cancer... they IDENTIFY if you have something abnormal going on down there, and give you and the doctor(OBJYN) a chance to do something about it before it spreads

pap smears are a way to INDENTIFY, so that action can be taken, they do NOT prevent or even repair.. a PAP is a diagnosing tool, not a fixing or preventing tool

Old 04-07-2017, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
pap smears don't prevent cancer... they IDENTIFY if you have something abnormal going on down there, and give you and the doctor(OBJYN) a chance to do something about it before it spreads

pap smears are a way to INDENTIFY, so that action can be taken, they do NOT prevent or even repair.. a PAP is a diagnosing tool, not a fixing or preventing tool
You can't identify the changes to the cervical cells and treat those changes without a pap smear. Routine pap smears are a huge way to prevent cervical cancer. Obviously if you have an abnormal pap then you should follow it up with treatment while the cells are still in the precancerous stage so that they don't progress to cervical cancer. Without paps, there would be no way to detect those changes and no way to treat them. Thus the reason why health authorities say that routine pap smears prevent cervical cancer.

Quote:
Two tests can help prevent cervical cancer
The Pap test (or Pap smear) looks for precancers, cell changes on the cervix that may become cervical cancer if they are not treated appropriately. You should start getting Pap tests at age 21.
The human papillomavirus (HPV) test looks for the virus that can cause these cell changes.

The most important thing you can do to help prevent cervical cancer is to have regular screening tests starting at age 21.
https://www.cdc.gov/cancer/cervical/...prevention.htm

This is from the CDC. As you can see they talk about the pap as a prevention tool, because that is what it is.

Of course they also recommend the HPV vaccine but note:
Quote:
It is important to note that even women who are vaccinated against HPV need to have regular Pap tests to screen for cervical cancer.

Last edited by MissTerri; 04-07-2017 at 12:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies