Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2017, 09:09 AM

1,194 posts, read 728,112 times

Advertisements

LA who are you going to call for help now---Rosie O'Donnell

Quote:
officers have lost motivation in the face of increased scrutiny — from the public as well as their supervisors.
Police arrests are plummeting across California, fueling alarm and questions - LA Times

Last edited by fordtrucks; 04-02-2017 at 09:18 AM..

Old 04-02-2017, 02:00 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,997,057 times
As always: "Be careful what you wish for, you just might get it!"

Old 04-02-2017, 02:15 PM

4,851 posts, read 2,291,005 times
From the article:

“A lot of guys will shy away from it because we’ve got the dash cams, we’ve got the body cams.… We don’t want it to come back on us.”

In other words, people are watching our actions now, and we cant do what we used to be able to do with impunity.

Cops have a tough job. We ask a lot of them, and their job is dangerous. But it isnt a secret that in recent years there is a trend in going overboard with regards to dealing with the public they interact with in a heavy handed manner. That has been exposed with the advent of recording all their actions, both with dash and body cams, and with others cell phones.

Officers are responding accordingly.

Last edited by wallflash; 04-02-2017 at 03:07 PM..

Old 04-02-2017, 02:20 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
So, being filmed is having the desired effect of reducing police abuse and criminal behavior?

I was watching a British police show the other day. The cops raved about how great the cameras were. Everything they saw was recorded for evidentiary purposes and it gave an unbiased account of interactions with people. Any good cop should be happy to have a neutral record.

The only ones who don't want it known are the ones who break the rules and the ones who want to cover up for them.

Old 04-02-2017, 02:37 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,099,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
So, being filmed is having the desired effect of reducing police abuse and criminal behavior?
So it would seem. These cops suddenly are "shying away" from making arrests because they know they will be held accountable for their behavior. I don't see this as a bad thing. Aren't we always hearing that if we have nothing to hide, we have nothing to be afraid of?

Old 04-02-2017, 02:42 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,875,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtrucks View Post
LA who are you going to call for help now---Rosie O'Donnell

Police arrests are plummeting across California, fueling alarm and questions - LA Times
Violent crime is also up by 13% since 2015 and robbery is up 17% since 2015.

http://assets.lapdonline.org/assets/pdf/cityprof.pdf

The situation on the ground in Los Angeles where I have been many times is not good at all.

Los Angeles has a pretentious arrogant mindset, that the rough days are over and they don't have to have much of police presence. For a world city, it is stunning how few police I see when ever I am in Los Angeles.

They have so few police, I didn't see them at the Blue Line Stations in Compton and Watts.

I can't blame the police for just going from call to call as the story suggests.

I have heard people who visit New York City say that the police are on almost every block.

LAPD really doesn't have that robust of a police force and it shows. I wonder how many actual patrol officers they have per-capita compared to New York City and other major cities.

Old 04-02-2017, 02:42 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,254,842 times
Meh, California?

Who cares........

Hood rats rule there like Chicago.

Old 04-02-2017, 02:59 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,071,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post

The situation on the ground in Los Angeles where I have been many times is not good at all.

Los Angeles has a pretentious arrogant mindset, that the rough days are over and they don't have to have much of police presence. For a world city, it is stunning how few police I see when ever I am in Los Angeles.

They have so few police, I didn't see them at the Blue Line Stations in Compton and Watts.

I can't blame the police for just going from call to call as the story suggests.

I have heard people who visit New York City say that the police are on almost every block.

LAPD really doesn't have that robust of a police force and it shows. I wonder how many actual patrol officers they have per-capita compared to New York City and other major cities.
Yes 2015 saw an increase in crime but over all crime has been decreasing for years.

Relax.......we are all fine. Oye --

Fear mongering -- OMG police aren't doing their job -- we are being over run by refugees and the govt. is making us get vaccinated.

Old 04-02-2017, 06:14 PM

7,687 posts, read 5,134,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post

I think new york city has the most cops. 8.4 million with about 40k cops I think is 1 per 210 people.

Old 04-02-2017, 06:30 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,875,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastforme View Post
I think new york city has the most cops. 8.4 million with about 40k cops I think is 1 per 210 people.
Looks like Los Angeles has 9,800 sworn officers, but I wonder how many are patrol officers.

Supposedly, Chicago has 1.3 million less people has 13,000 sworn officers.

Los Angeles has about 1/4 of the homicide rate of Chicago but it's still double the rate of NYC.

Los Angeles seems to have about 1/3 less violent crime then Chicago but still much higher then NYC.

https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s...oyee-data/main
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies