Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2017, 01:02 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
What is she suing for? Five minutes of annoyance? Does she think that only happens to black folks? It doesn't.

I think I'll start suing every time someone assumes something about me. I'll see a lot of you in court.
I said it in my head twice and got about 13 seconds which include awkward pauses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2017, 01:04 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I think it was a form of discrimination because I doubt this clerk would have assumed the same about a white customer.
I'm still wondering if that is discriminating or simply a demeaning attitude.

Quote:
I don't know if you can win a lawsuit for this type of occurrence but I applaud Harris for highlighting a seemingly small indignity. As another poster said, some people deal with these "little" displays of racism every single day.
Sounds like she has a lot.........I understand her finally going off. I'm just not sure she can win a lawsuit.

Old 04-14-2017, 01:08 PM

2,544 posts, read 2,737,804 times
Hope the court throws it in the trash where it belongs.

Old 04-14-2017, 01:12 PM

19,844 posts, read 12,106,658 times
This idiocy will follow her forever. Future potential employers will see this.

Old 04-14-2017, 01:25 PM

6,418 posts, read 7,251,584 times
The problem with this is that it means that people think being on food stamps is something to be ashamed of, and that's a very sad thing. All the people that rant about welfare leeches etc. are to blame. Completely ridiculous lawsuit if it wasn't for that association attached to food stamps.

Old 04-14-2017, 01:31 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,448,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
How was it rude?

The clerk was trying to be helpful as well as efficient.

Assuming someone is on EBT is rude. It's like how you don't ask somebody "when is your due date?" unless you're 100% sure that they are pregnant.

I was a cashier in high school, and I wouldn't have asked somebody that.

Old 04-14-2017, 01:32 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,706,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
From what I read, the cashier did not assume Ms. Harris was on food stamps. She asked Harris if she wanted to use her EBT card. (Just like when I go to XYZ department store, I am asked if I would like to put my purchase on my XYZ credit card. I don't feel that the clerk is assuming I have that store's credit card, but is just asking if I do.) If the cashier had assumed Harris was on food stamps, she would have just asked for her EBT card and not put it in the form of a question.

In my opinion, this is just another case of someone using her race for profit. (And to be clear, I think some whites are just as guilty of this as some blacks are.)

Honestly, I truly do feel sorry for cashiers and anyone who serves the public today. They must constantly feel like they are walking on eggshells every time they open their mouths!
Why would the clerk ask that instead of asking if she wanted to use her credit or debit card or cash?

The fact that the clerk asked about EBT at all pretty much makes the woman's case.

Old 04-14-2017, 01:34 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
I've read the article 3 times and I've not read where, 1., the clerk assumed because she was black that she was paying with food stamps and 2., where the store said the clerk was wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
She spoke with three different supervisors/managers including the regional manager. She was told by the managers " that the clerk had done nothing wrong and was simply trying to give her free bags, because those using food stamps don't have to pay for reusable plastic bags. "

" A follow up letter sent by a Safeway claims examiner to Harris on March 24, the same day she talked to Foss, states: " please be advised that we've completed our investigation and determined there's no liability on the store. I acknowledge your allegation of emotional distress and would be willing to offer a customer service gesture of $500. ... Failing to accept the customer service gesture will be construed as a rejection and will result in a formal denial of this claim as there has been no evidence of discrimination or racial profiling."

Old 04-14-2017, 01:36 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Who said anything about dirty looks?
The clerk asked her if she was using EBT, the managements said because EBT users get free bags.
How is asking someone their payment method racial discrimination?
The OP did:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
An African-American woman filed a civil rights lawsuit Monday, April 10, against Albertsons and its parent company, Safeway, alleging that its managers took no steps to correct or apologize for the actions of a checkout clerk at an Irvine store who incorrectly assumed the woman was on food stamps.

California woman sues Albertsons after clerk wrongly assumes she

Deirdre Harris: I hope you LOSE this case! I'm a white dude who's on food stamps and, I sometime get a dirty look from a checker at the stores where I live.
She didn't ask what her payment method was. She assumed she was using food stamps. There's a difference.

Old 04-14-2017, 01:42 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,467,310 times
I'm highly offended when stores/cinemas ask if I want the senior's discount. How insulting! How DARE they make assumptions! I should sue! Bigly! ...Or ask/don't ask if I'm a vet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies