Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2017, 04:27 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,368,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
I agree, the parents were careless and should be held responsible for their actions, not the restaurant.

A child sitting at the table with two parents should have no opportunity to suddenly vanish. This wasn't Chuck E Cheese where it is kind of a mad house atmosphere. This was a nearly empty quiet upscale restaurant. There is no excuse for a child slipping away for long enough to get across the aisle and behind a booth. Either the parents were oblivious, or the were allowing the child to roam.
Which is entirely reasonable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2017, 06:03 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,344,025 times
And in the end the restaurant and whoever did the design of those booths will pay. Multiple millions and if it is a court that provides for relative liability the parents will get 0 to 5% while the restaurant and their co defendants will pay 95 to 100%.

Simple as that. The mistake is actually inexcusable.

And even if testimony comes forth that the parents were irrationally careless in supervising the kid the responsibility will still go to the restaurant and friends.

Old 11-19-2017, 05:13 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,344,025 times
Default Well as projected the parents have filed suit.

Atlanta Sun Dial death: Family of boy crushed in rotating restaurant sues - CNN

I would also note they deny the kid was ever away from them. They were right there and immediately grabbed the kid but could not free him.

How many millions?

Old 11-19-2017, 05:30 PM

5,129 posts, read 2,596,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=agn8elUY8FI

Sad, it's not like it's a fast spinning restaurant. Can't blame the parents, how many times has such an incident happened like this? I expect a lawsuit for sure.

Just a tragic freak accident. And as such, improved safety measures will be put in place.
Society should be able to sue bad parenting. You cant control your children then you shouldn't be blessed with children.

Old 11-20-2017, 07:35 AM

51,650 posts, read 25,807,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post

I would also note they deny the kid was ever away from them. They were right there and immediately grabbed the kid but could not free him.

How many millions?
Strange.

I thought the earlier story was that they were at a window table and the child was behind the tables opposite the aisle. I believe he "slipped through" a gap between the banquette tables that lined the turning mechanism on the interior of the restaurant.

Also, as I recall, it was other patrons who tried to free the child, not the parents. Seems this info has changed as well.

Old 11-20-2017, 07:38 AM

"The suit says the family was leaving the restaurant together, after paying for their meal, and the child was a few steps in front of his parents when he became trapped. "Charlie's parents were only a few feet behind him and immediately went to help him," the suit says."

So how does a child "a few steps in front" get trapped behind a table?

Old 11-20-2017, 07:46 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 15 hours ago)

27,162 posts, read 13,449,232 times
The restaurant is being sued due to a lack of safety and no protection to prevent this kind of tragedy. So any case hinges on whether the restaurant had the correct safety precautions in place.

Old 11-20-2017, 11:11 AM

As I recall, the place was renovated several years ago. The contention is that this remodeling opened up a space between banquettes large enough for this boy to crawl into.

Parents sue after boy’s skull is fatally crushed in rotating Atlanta restaurant – The Denver Post

Look at the photo.

How would a child get back between two curved banquettes and get caught in the pinch point in the back, against the stationary wall with his parents walking and watching from a few feet behind?

This does not make sense.

Old 11-20-2017, 11:18 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 15 hours ago)

27,162 posts, read 13,449,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
As I recall, the place was renovated several years ago. The contention is that this remodeling opened up a space between banquettes large enough for this boy to crawl into.

Parents sue after boy’s skull is fatally crushed in rotating Atlanta restaurant – The Denver Post

Look at the photo.

How would a child get back between two curved banquettes and get caught in the pinch point in the back, against the stationary wall with his parents walking and watching from a few feet behind?

This does not make sense.
The case is going to rely on expert witnesses and reports.

Old 11-20-2017, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
The case is going to rely on expert witnesses and reports.
I suspect so.

I'm looking forward to reading how it is that the parents were supervising him from a few feet behind when this happened. Seems a stretch to me.

Last edited by GotHereQuickAsICould; 11-20-2017 at 11:32 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies