Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2017, 04:07 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,143,346 times

Advertisements

Canada Welcomes Tech Companies That Are Spooked by Trump
Time, Philip Elliott

It is a cruel irony for Trump, who has focused his presidency on keeping jobs in the U.S. But his policies do threaten to drive jobs north.

Canada Welcomes Tech Companies That Are Spooked by Trump | Time.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2017, 04:13 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,638,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
Time, Philip Elliott

It is a cruel irony for Trump, who has focused his presidency on keeping jobs in the U.S. But his policies do threaten to drive jobs north.

as i just posted in another thread, since taking power Trump has LOST the US jobs, compared to last year.

Obama did better in Feb march one more loss and Trump has created a downward trend, lets see him spin that.

Also worth noting, Tech companies absolutely HATE the way their staff are being treated by immigration. Many are reporting snide remarks, purposefully impeding people, stupid racist questions etc. And we are talking about folks who drive these industries not out source nonsense. If this goes on every long you will see US based companies expanding outside the US, and hosting major events outside the USA.

Old 04-15-2017, 04:17 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,716,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
as i just posted in another thread, since taking power Trump has LOST the US jobs, compared to last year.

Obama did better in Feb march one more loss and Trump has created a downward trend, lets see him spin that.
Not surprising considering Trump is chasing coal.

Old 04-15-2017, 04:18 PM

5,701 posts, read 3,223,098 times
Vancouver, yeah right. Cool city, but too expensive. Will never draw in young workers from USA.

Old 04-15-2017, 04:22 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,375,883 times
I'm losing some of my best minions. The immigration stuff is scaring them. Not to Canada, but to Scotland. Losing this sort of talent will hurt us long term in some ways. Probably good for my income, but bad for us as a country.

Old 04-15-2017, 04:26 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,116,607 times
Good move Vancouver!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Not surprising considering Trump is chasing coal.
I read it's where the future is..... lol

Old 04-15-2017, 04:29 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,638,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
I'm losing some of my best minions. The immigration stuff is scaring them. Not to Canada, but to Scotland. Losing this sort of talent will hurt us long term in some ways. Probably good for my income, but bad for us as a country.
this is what so many don't grasp. It is not as if the USA is the only place the tech industry is thriving. from Ireland to India there are masses of tech workers and the work they do is moving up the food chain all the time.
Ireland has almost every big company you can think of. All the top tech names and many lower down. Plus they are inventing new IP over there too.

Trump does not grasp that highly sought after skill tech workers don't go to the USA because they have to, they come because they want to. Make them feel unwelcome and they may well decide to try elsewhere instead.

Old 04-18-2017, 04:44 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,143,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
this is what so many don't grasp. It is not as if the USA is the only place the tech industry is thriving. from Ireland to India there are masses of tech workers and the work they do is moving up the food chain all the time. Ireland has almost every big company you can think of. All the top tech names and many lower down. Plus they are inventing new IP over there too.

Trump does not grasp that highly sought after skill tech workers don't go to the USA because they have to, they come because they want to. Make them feel unwelcome and they may well decide to try elsewhere instead.
I suppose that, considering that Trump has never in his life held a "normal" job - the kind of job that almost everyone else has had, where you have a boss, where you're held accountable, where you can be fired or the equivalent - he has no idea how workers think.

Old 04-18-2017, 05:20 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times
Immigration laws have not changed under Trump, so I do not understand what the issue is.

The US has one some of the most immigration friendly policies in the world. The US has a long way to go it restricting their immigration to the level the EU, Canada, etc have.

Old 04-18-2017, 05:33 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,906,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
Time, Philip Elliott

That's a bad thing? Canada ain't exactly full of people.

Too; IF wanting to go to a cheaper country, why Canada? I'm guessing Mexico ain't good enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies