Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2017, 04:39 AM

19,721 posts, read 10,124,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
That part seems to be working.
I guess congress isn't the only stupid ones.

Old 04-16-2017, 04:39 AM

2,366 posts, read 1,647,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staphangel View Post
I never liked it. It feels like too much. I've never one that felt much love for an institution though, whether it's country, high school, home state etc.

I cordially detest all forms of patriotism.

The sooner countries and the need to even have a passport to travel goes the better - religion too TBH.

Not going to see it in my lifetime but it has to happen for the longevity of our species. Why did a group of private citizens feel the need or even desire to publicly affirm this national dogma. Time-wasting nationalism, diet McCarthyism. Are there many other non-totalitarian countries that do that? That level of indoctrination with "patriotism" is pretty gross.
And there you have it folks, liberal trolling at its finest, courtesy of the extreme left and the MSM.

Old 04-16-2017, 04:47 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,377,015 times
How many ardent supporters of the oath really do believe in liberty and justice for ALL?

Old 04-16-2017, 04:51 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,208,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
The Pledge is one of those things that appeal to Nazi-types (hail the Fatherland) and religious types (who desperately want to grovel in front of something): a pledge of fealty, reflecting the ancient belief that the king rules by divine right, and therefore everyone in the kingdom must do whatever he decrees.
Why should anyone obey their government?

The legitimacy of government can only be established in one of three ways.

1) By the threat of violence. Masters over slaves. Conquerors over the conquered.

2) By god. The King was placed there by god, to do god's work on Earth, and if you disobey the King, you disobey god(sometimes Kings even claimed to themselves be gods).

3) By the consent of the governed. If you disobey a democratic government, you are going against the "will of the people".

It is obvious to most people that the first two types of government aren't legitimate at all, and were never legitimate. What isn't obvious to most people, is that the third type is just as illegitimate.

Our government is not actually by consent, and it was never by consent(when the Constitution was ratified, the vast-majority of the people weren't even allowed to vote). Nor is our government an honest expression of the will of the people. Nor should the 51% have the right to rule the other 49%. Just as America doesn't have a right to rule other nations.

You do not have the right to rule me, and getting your friends together doesn't suddenly grant you that right either. It is a delusion. But it is a delusion on which most of the world's governments claim their legitimacy.

"The only idea they have ever manifested as to what is a government of consent, is this – that it is one to which everybody must consent, or be shot." - Lysander Spooner

The pledge of allegiance was created after the Civil War, to make sure all the people of this country would never disobey their government again. Because what is the alternative? Secession? Dissolution? Anarchy?

What will remain?

Old 04-16-2017, 05:44 AM

1,294 posts, read 1,121,139 times
Quote:
I never liked it. It feels like too much. I've never one that felt much love for an institution though, whether it's country, high school, home state etc.

The sooner countries and the need to even have a passport to travel goes the better - religion too TBH.

Not going to see it in my lifetime but it has to happen for the longevity of our species. Why did a group of private citizens feel the need or even desire to publicly affirm this national dogma. Time-wasting nationalism, diet McCarthyism. Are there many other non-totalitarian countries that do that? That level of indoctrination with "patriotism" is pretty gross.

When you find your Shangri-La please move there. We don't need you.

Old 04-16-2017, 05:46 AM

59,056 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:

And some wonder why the dems have lost so many political seats!

Old 04-16-2017, 06:54 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,528,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
A person that probably does not like much of anything.

Probably does not like logos of any kind.

Doesn't like sports. Never roots for any team nor has any team hats or jerseys.

Doesn't have anything that says Harley, or Jeep of any other brand.

They say no man is an island. This one is.
So, your identity is based on your affiliation or preference for a team or company?

Old 04-16-2017, 07:00 AM

25,849 posts, read 16,528,639 times
The world needs goofballs too. Believe what you want.

Old 04-16-2017, 07:01 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,628,813 times
I support the OP 100%.

Old 04-16-2017, 07:44 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,727,332 times
Quote:

You know I agree with you on this one! That way we can roam around finding jackwagons that make inane comments and eradicate them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies