Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2017, 04:02 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,677,065 times

Advertisements

Well, 20 may be a little much, but I'm fine with 10. This usually shows a very dangerous combination of lack of empathy and vindictiveness, and it can also result in disaster, including death.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2017, 04:31 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,544,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debnor View Post
Many times even when caught it turns out the person that did it was a young teen. My question is, do you think something like that deserves decades in jail? Whether they be 14, 24, 34, or 44, if someone SWATs someone do you think they deserve a VERY long prison sentence? I think so. These people need to be made examples of regardless of age. This is sick and disgusting.
A 10 years sentence sounds about right.

Old 04-18-2017, 04:42 PM

50,294 posts, read 47,056,299 times
This swatting thing is pretty much setting up someone to possibly be killed whether a SWAT officer or a civilian. It should carry a heavy sentence. If someone was bashing down my front door I'd be breaking out the big stuff.

Old 04-18-2017, 05:13 PM

21,430 posts, read 7,456,856 times
This is a very serious offense. I will leave it at that.

Old 04-18-2017, 07:27 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,768,189 times
Jail and prisons are such a waste of money though.

These people obviously have too much free time in their hands.

They should live in places similar to Joe Arpaio's tent city and they should form daily cleaning crews and pick up trash along highways and paint over graffiti for 5 years. They should be put to work hard under harsh conditions for a long time and WITHOUT ACCESS to technology.

If their actions result in death, they should be tried for premeditated murder and sentenced according to state law.

Old 04-19-2017, 01:42 AM

218 posts, read 172,188 times
Thing is are all SWAT agencies told about this? That when a call is made it has a chance of being a stupid mean prank? One would think SWAT would first and foremost confirm that situation is legit before banging on someone's door.

Old 04-19-2017, 03:49 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,587,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
If they are 13 or 14, they should at least have to stay in prison until they are 18. If they are older, like late teens or college age, then 20 years is justifiable. This is serious and is not something that should be tolerated. It endangers the victim and wastes the SWAT teams' valuable time that could be spent going after real crime.
Oh, I'm not defending it, by any means. I just think the maturity of the individual needs to be taken into account. Young kids are capable of doing incredibly stupid and dangerous things, without realizing the seriousness of their actions. If it's a 13-year-old, for example, I think there needs to be some consideration of intent. I can easily imagine a child that age thinking this kind of thing is just a prank. There still needs to be punishment, and it needs to be strong, but for a kid that young, there needs to be education and rehabilitation, too. Throwing them in an adult prison is likely to ruin them forever.

Old 04-19-2017, 04:07 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 3 days ago)

27,180 posts, read 13,461,836 times
Quote:
Thing is are all SWAT agencies told about this? That when a call is made it has a chance of being a stupid mean prank? One would think SWAT would first and foremost confirm that situation is legit before banging on someone's door.
There was one incident in the UK involving Mumsnet founder Justine Roberts, however such incidents are rare in the UK and the way the police assess and deal with such incidents is a lot more low key than in the US where force is often used first and questions asked only later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBC

"Police were called at approximately 00:15 on Tuesday 11 August to a residential address... following a report that a man had murdered a woman at the address," he said.

"This was followed by a second call during which the caller stated he had members of his family held in a room. This call was assessed as requiring a firearms response.

"Local officers and firearms officers attended the address and carried out an assessment. Two people resident at the address were spoken to. The incident was treated as a hoax and the police response explained to those at the address.

"No suspects have been identified at this time, however enquiries continue."

Mumsnet's co-founder suffers 'swatting attack' - BBC News

Last edited by Brave New World; 04-19-2017 at 04:15 AM..

Old 06-25-2017, 01:46 PM

2,309 posts, read 901,962 times
Quote:
For those that don't know, SWATTING is when someone that doesn't like someone else for whatever reasons -usually a Twitch streamer or youtuber, hacks and gets their information such as name, number and address, then calls the aforementioned persons local police dept. saying something like "I have my family hostage and I'm going to kill them all" or "I have a bomb and going to blow my family up" etc. etc. usually they do this by using a cheap burner phone that they can use just for this purpose and throw away right after.

This results in, as the name implies SWAT being called in. Normally just scaring the living daylights out of the person as well as others inside the home at best, and involving them all getting handcuffed and their home being destroyed at worst. Here are some good examples:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJZCvjYfDnc&t=438s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gedVHbgIt7c&t=322s

Many times even when caught it turns out the person that did it was a young teen. My question is, do you think something like that deserves decades in jail? Whether they be 14, 24, 34, or 44, if someone SWATs someone do you think they deserve a VERY long prison sentence? I think so. These people need to be made examples of regardless of age. This is sick and disgusting.
Yes. you endangered an innocent life unnecessarily and wasted emergency resources.

Old 06-25-2017, 03:28 PM

2,359 posts, read 1,035,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart

Will you guys ever figure this out, or is cheap low rent vengage the primary motivator here?
Mr. President? Is that you?

How's your covfefe hangin', Chief?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies