Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2017, 07:14 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,712,881 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokinouta View Post
I'm disappointed that it's such silent support. I'm sure they are against it, and I do appreciate all the foundations trying to help but, Underground in America: Female Genital Mutilation #UndergroundFGM - ABC News
It's silenced, and we just don't ask. Our climate is a strange one right now. They marched for money and healthcare, both of which they have plenty of. They marched against Trump because a female didn't win. I get that, whatever. It didn't help anyone though.

During those marches women cared much more about bans and their Muslim sista's then about addressing real issues like FGM, sex slavery. They tip toed through this march not wanting to offend anyone but Trump supporters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_JpvwlNI1M
But, hopefully we will spread awareness despite our fear of irritating Muslims in this fragile climate.

Now, it's not like we don't have our own genital mutilation based on an ancient religious practice done to boys here in America. Those women marching probably have allowed their sons to have the same mutilation done. How can they really address it? We let it happen here daily. Not really that different. I'm sure I'm starting a fire storm here but I really believe it isn't different. I'm not religious, and think physical alteration because of an old religious custom is sad.
The march you're talking about was in direct response to Trump being elected. I agree that more should be done to stop FGM, but I'm not sure a march is the answer. In any case, it's not an either/or situation. Feminists, organized and otherwise, have probably done more to fight FGM than any other demographic in America.

Are you equating circumcision with FGM? Whether you think circumcision is a good idea or not, the two procedures have vastly different consequences.

And are you saying a woman is a hypocrite if she opposes FGM but had her son circumcised?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2017, 07:15 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,712,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theluckygal View Post
The feminists often have to choose between religious freedom & sexism so they take the easy way out & keep quiet. If they fight for religious freedom then they are promoting segregation & covering up of women. It is a very confusing time for feminists.
I'm a feminist and I'm not confused at all.

Old 04-21-2017, 07:19 PM

5,175 posts, read 4,947,721 times
Quote:
.... Those women marching probably have allowed their sons to have the same mutilation done. How can they really address it? We let it happen here daily. Not really that different. I'm sure I'm starting a fire storm here but I really believe it isn't different. I'm not religious, and think physical alteration because of an old religious custom is sad.
Glad to see that I'm not the only one that sees it that way.

Old 04-21-2017, 07:27 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,754,224 times
Quote:
I'm disappointed that it's such silent support. I'm sure they are against it, and I do appreciate all the foundations trying to help but, Underground in America: Female Genital Mutilation #UndergroundFGM - ABC News
It's silenced, and we just don't ask. Our climate is a strange one right now. They marched for money and healthcare, both of which they have plenty of. They marched against Trump because a female didn't win. I get that, whatever. It didn't help anyone though.

During those marches women cared much more about bans and their Muslim sista's then about addressing real issues like FGM, sex slavery. They tip toed through this march not wanting to offend anyone but Trump supporters.

But, hopefully we will spread awareness despite our fear of irritating Muslims in this fragile climate.

Now, it's not like we don't have our own genital mutilation based on an ancient religious practice done to boys here in America. Those women marching probably have allowed their sons to have the same mutilation done. How can they really address it? We let it happen here daily. Not really that different. I'm sure I'm starting a fire storm here but I really believe it isn't different. I'm not religious, and think physical alteration because of an old religious custom is sad.
This feminist never had a son, but if I had, I would not have had him circumcised, unless he had an abnormal foreskin.

The uncircumcised men I've known have been glad about their uncut state, FWIW.

But a great deal of pressure is applied to new parents. I actually think that if more men spoke up about it, circumcision rates would go down faster than they have been.

Old 04-21-2017, 07:28 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,199,641 times
Quote:
It is comparable. The females is worse because of the amount of tissue removed but it's still comparable in idea. The idea that either should be done is stupid. It's amazing that we allow one and condemn the other. Still, both happen at an alarming rate.

Instead our women's movement is fighting for equal pay which they have, and healthcare clinics in a time when we have healthcare for those who can't afford it already, and that includes female related care, and gynos. they could be addressing these silent issues that would make a real difference in a women's life.

In the video I linked the girl who was mutilated said she was afraid to come out in fear of being called a racist. So, this climate is helping to silence those women who need the most help. It's a shame.
No one would ever allow anyone the cutting off of a man's penis to be a common practice, that is the only procedure that anyone could accurately use to compare to what is done to these girls. Unless you are intentionally trolling please do not compare removing the foreskin to the cutting off a females gentalia. Many girls die from the procedure.

If they are lucky enough to survive they have lifelong difficulties and pain with urination, menstruation and for many sexual intercourse can be excruciating painful. Circumcized males suffer none of this. They may both be religious cultural issue but the procedures are so vastly different, comparisons are utterly absurd! Many men even chose to become to cicumsized later in life due to problems with their foreskin. I persoanlly would not circumsize a son but it isn't the same thing.

I respect those who are against circumsizing boys and would gladly support that issue but this is not the place. Comparing the two is incredibly disrespectful to what these poor girls go through, having had most of their gentalia cut off.

Last edited by detshen; 04-21-2017 at 07:41 PM..

Old 04-21-2017, 07:36 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,754,224 times
I think that deliberately deforming an infant for social/cultural reasons is reprehensible. Binding feet, shaping the head, elongating the neck, stretching earlobes, etc, are all on that same list. However, it's clear that some of these procedures are more crippling than others, and I think FGM is on the same level as footbinding - it is criminal.

I wouldn't have a child's ears pierced, and I have double-pierced ears myself.

Old 04-21-2017, 07:46 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,199,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
I think that deliberately deforming an infant for social/cultural reasons is reprehensible. Binding feet, shaping the head, elongating the neck, stretching earlobes, etc, are all on that same list. However, it's clear that some of these procedures are more crippling than others, and I think FGM is on the same level as footbinding - it is criminal.

I wouldn't have a child's ears pierced, and I have double-pierced ears myself.
Female genital mutilation is a crime in the US and it's also crime for anyone in the US to send girls out of coutry to have it done. Unfortunately, there is so much stigma and danger to speaking out so it stays hidden and keeps happening. I'm glad these "doctors" are being caught and hopefully will be prosecuted to the fullest extend of the law.

Old 04-21-2017, 07:53 PM

21,480 posts, read 10,579,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
I would never circumsize a son but it is VERY DIFFERENT! The equivelent to female genital mutilation would be cut off the top half or all of a boy's penis. Removing the foreskin is absolutely not comparable to female genital MUTILATION.
^^^right on! I'm so tired of the comparisons in every freaking thread about FGM! My son was circumcised as a baby. It was no big deal. This is horrific torture designed to make these girls never enjoy sex. They sew their vagina too and then unsew it a fraction when they get married. One girl in England said she and the doctors thought she had a cyst on her ovaries but finally determined that she had started her period and the blood couldn't come out so it was collecting inside of her and making her sick.

This is why I get so angry that people on college campuses boycott Ayaan Hirsi Ali's speeches. She is a major advocate for these girls, and her group has been lobbying state legislatures to make this practice illegal on the state level. It needs to be done at the state level so local law enforcement can do something about it. So far only 26 states have laws against it.

Old 04-21-2017, 07:58 PM

21,480 posts, read 10,579,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikMal View Post
Glad to see that I'm not the only one that sees it that way.
It isn't at all comparable!! Please stop with this nonsense.

Old 04-21-2017, 08:09 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,278,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
FGM predates Islam and seems to have originated in Africa.

Old and New Testiment as well as the Quran are silent on the topic.
Great, but why do I have to hear about this on Tucker Carlson? Where is Rachel Maddow? Why are they running away from this story if it has nothing to do with Islam?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies