Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2017, 07:41 PM

51,656 posts, read 25,878,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordwillin02 View Post

It's a shame that all of history has been rewritten to paint regular people as evil, slaveholding villains. Yes, some of them were horrific but the majority of Confederates were doing what almost all of us would have done at the time: fight to defend you home.
Fight to defend their homes?

They weren't under attack. Confederates were the ones who attacked Fort Sumter, not the other way around.

Old 04-24-2017, 07:44 PM

I'm starting to wonder if southerners have different history books than the rest of the country.

Also wonder if these statues, memorials, and flags don't perpetuate a myth of nobility and righteousness that undermines our nation to this very day.

Old 04-24-2017, 07:48 PM

234 posts, read 122,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
What are you talking about? His country was not invaded by a foreign army. Confederate traitors attacked one of their own country's forts, and the fight was on.
Cool story bro. You enjoy making up stories? That one was good.

Old 04-24-2017, 07:52 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,379,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'.

Apparently , this is what the powers that be want.
PUT the relics of PAST history into some museum so as you say.. THOSE that cannot remember will LEARN about the Horrid past history. It simply called the past.

BUT it shouldn't be daily in the face of today's peoples ( thus removed from public area's) .. It's History.. It certainly isn't how life SHOULD/is today. ( Mind you there will always be some who worship the past midst of back then!) Museums have their use and input to education.

By removing quietly simply avoids violent reaction by those few who still hold onto those feeling of PAST hate and Nationalist Views.

Old 04-24-2017, 08:27 PM

626 posts, read 381,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Fight to defend their homes?

They weren't under attack. Confederates were the ones who attacked Fort Sumter, not the other way around.
There's a reason people call it the war of Northern Aggression. You fight when your culture and lifestyle are under attack, which was occurring well before Fort Sumter.

Also, Virginia and North Carolina, the two states who contributed most to the cause, did not secede until after Fort Sumter when Lincoln ordered them to send their own troops to South Carolina.

Old 04-24-2017, 10:24 PM

4,750 posts, read 3,572,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordwillin02 View Post
There's a reason people call it the war of Northern Aggression. You fight when your culture and lifestyle are under attack, which was occurring well before Fort Sumter.

Also, Virginia and North Carolina, the two states who contributed most to the cause, did not secede until after Fort Sumter when Lincoln ordered them to send their own troops to South Carolina.
When your culture and lifestyle is slavery you deserve to be attacked and have your "heroes" pulled out of the town square.

Old 04-25-2017, 12:11 AM

983 posts, read 739,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
They were considered traitors IN BRITAIN. They probably don't have many statues of them over there. Why would they?
Actually...
https://www.londonremembers.com/memo...rge-washington

Old 04-25-2017, 12:26 AM

14,704 posts, read 14,677,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristramShandy View Post
When your culture and lifestyle is slavery you deserve to be attacked and have your "heroes" pulled out of the town square.
Exactly. They want to pretend the Confederacy was not about slavery, but the only reason those states attempted to secede and form their own country was the election of Lincoln and his anti-slavery stance. The Confederacy and its flag represented and still represent nothing more than the idea blacks should remain slaves in the South.

Old 04-25-2017, 01:58 AM

3,615 posts, read 2,335,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Exactly. They want to pretend the Confederacy was not about slavery, but the only reason those states attempted to secede and form their own country was the election of Lincoln and his anti-slavery stance. The Confederacy and its flag represented and still represent nothing more than the idea blacks should remain slaves in the South.
That is a lie, Lincolns "anti slavery stance" was about political power and unionism and the west. Lincoln was a virulent racist.

"Lincoln was, indeed, a white supremacist. In his 1858 debate with Sen. Steven Douglas, Lincoln maintained, “And inasmuch as they cannot so live, while they do remain together there must be the position of superior and inferior, and I as much as any other man am in favor of having the superior position assigned to the white race.”

” Lincoln was an upholder of this institution. In 1858, he said,“…I will say in addition to this that there is a physical difference between the white and black races which I believe will forever forbid the two races living together on terms of social and political equality.”

"Lincoln was no supporter of racial equality. In fact, while debating Douglas in 1858, Lincoln declared the following: “I will say then that I am not, nor ever have been in favor of bringing about in any way the social and political equality of the white and black races.”

” Lincoln was an upholder of this institution. In 1858, he said,“…I will say in addition to this that there is a physical difference between the white and black races which I believe will forever forbid the two races living together on terms of social and political equality.”

"Being that Lincoln was a not concerned with racial equality or the well-being of Black slaves in the South, it should come as no surprise that he did not support the marital union of whites and Blacks. He, in 1858, remarked, “I have never had the least apprehension that I or my friends would marry negroes if there was no law to keep them from it, but as Judge Douglas and his friends seem to be in great apprehension that they might, if there were no law to keep them from it, I give him the most solemn pledge that I will to the very last stand by the law of this State, which forbids the marrying of white people with negroes.”

Even today, is the north or midwest or west today any better at race relations any less segregated than the south?

Old 04-25-2017, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookSearcher View Post
Cool story bro. You enjoy making up stories? That one was good.
Not only a cool story, but a true one.

Look up Fort Sumter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies