Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 03:16 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,371,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
Trump voters would be category #1, the far right
LOL. I wish. Lots of more center right people voted for him as well, this is a unfair characterization. Lot of people voted for him because they thought Hillary would get us into a war for example.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2017, 03:26 PM

8,447 posts, read 4,752,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
America has three main political factions:

1) The far-right, which wants to turn back the clock to 1890. It's an odd coalition of libertarians (who seem unaware that the Gilded Age ever happened), the Religious Right, and Alt-Right nut-jobs. This faction is the "grass roots" or "base" of the Republican Party.

2) The rational-right, which is mainly made up of Big Business interests who want neoliberal economic policy and open borders.
I'm sorry OP but I stopped reading as soon as you put rational and open borders in the same sentence.

Old 04-25-2017, 03:28 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,276,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
Wait until your conservative Supreme Court decides we all need to supplement religious institutions. It's coming...
^ Absurd scare-mongering.

Old 04-25-2017, 03:43 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
LOL. I wish. Lots of more center right people voted for him as well, this is a unfair characterization. Lot of people voted for him because they thought Hillary would get us into a war for example.
No, those people are far right.

Old 04-25-2017, 03:55 PM

Quote:
No, those people are far right.
So far right is the desire to not be in any wars? Since when?

Old 04-25-2017, 03:55 PM

2,122 posts, read 3,686,986 times
Quote:
Slavery was a direct result of libertarian politics, which allows power and money to do whatever it wants to whomever it wants.

It took Big Evil Government(tm) to put an end to slavery in the South and de-facto slavery in the mines and mills of the North.
Classic regurgitated progressive talking point. Slavery existed in the Americas before the United States, so I suppose that you think 18th century Britain was libertarian also?

A libertarian society completely rejects involuntary servitude, so no it did not come from "libertarian politics".

You had a rational left candidate in Jim Webb, but nobody in the Democrat party would listen to him. The DNC just had to have Hillary Clinton because they are a bunch of corporatists. (As you implied in the opening post) as is the Republican party.

Last edited by GunnerTHB; 04-25-2017 at 04:18 PM..

Old 04-25-2017, 04:34 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
So far right is the desire to not be in any wars? Since when?
you said "Lots of more center right people voted for him as well"

i said "Those people were far right"

Old 04-25-2017, 04:47 PM

Quote:
you said "Lots of more center right people voted for him as well"

i said "Those people were far right"
Ah, thought you were referring to my other sentence.

Shrug. Its all relative. In most of the world Clinton was center right, and Sanders wasnt far left.

Old 04-25-2017, 05:26 PM

5,302 posts, read 2,355,152 times
Quote:
America has three main political factions:

1) The far-right, which wants to turn back the clock to 1890. It's an odd coalition of libertarians (who seem unaware that the Gilded Age ever happened), the Religious Right, and Alt-Right nut-jobs. This faction is the "grass roots" or "base" of the Republican Party.

2) The rational-right, which is mainly made up of Big Business interests who want neoliberal economic policy and open borders. This faction is represented by the establishment of both the Republican and Democratic Parties.

3) The far-left, which is made up of anti-vaxxers, New Age quacks, career academics, urban hipsters, angry feminists, over-zealous environmentalists, anti-nuclear people, etc. This faction is is the "grass roots" or "base" of the Democratic Party.

What we really don't have in this country is a "rational left" that focuses on economic issues. We don't have a significant faction that cares about the following: the growing gap between the rich and everyone else, job losses due to neoliberalism and automation, employee rights, working conditions, vacation time, corruption of politics by corporate interests, etc.

In my opinion, we desperately need a Rational Left that focuses on the economic issues facing the bottom 99%, regardless of race, religion, gender, sexual preferences, etc. We need a new FDR and a "New" New Deal. Enough with the identity politics that divides the 99%!
So...just more typical Marxist stuff?

Old 04-25-2017, 05:48 PM

34,056 posts, read 17,071,203 times
Quote:
[b]What we really don't have in this country is a "rational left"
That is an oxymoron.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies