Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2017, 04:46 AM

1,194 posts, read 726,856 times

Advertisements

Try swallowing that Californians---buon appetito!!!

https://www.yahoo.com/news/californi...-business.html

Old 04-30-2017, 04:48 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,230,847 times
Interesting. The current fuel excise taxes are for roads and bridges.

What have they been doing with the money?

Old 04-30-2017, 05:04 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,968,600 times
Some of us think we should pay for services. Radical, I know.

Old 04-30-2017, 05:06 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,850,938 times
Have any of you lived in California ? I have. First of all, Californians' live in their cars. Where we might commute 5 miles to work, they go a lot further. My commute was 50 miles each way every day. That takes roads that are in good condition, and it also takes it's toll on highways......they need constant repair. Californians love their cars and love driving them.

Secondly, Californians are accustomed to paying more for everything than most of us, homes, etc. But they also earn a lot more than other parts of the country. I was making three times in California what I was able to earn in other States.

So it is all relative.

Old 04-30-2017, 05:41 AM

30,379 posts, read 19,177,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Have any of you lived in California ? I have. First of all, Californians' live in their cars. Where we might commute 5 miles to work, they go a lot further. My commute was 50 miles each way every day. That takes roads that are in good condition, and it also takes it's toll on highways......they need constant repair. Californians love their cars and love driving them.

Secondly, Californians are accustomed to paying more for everything than most of us, homes, etc. But they also earn a lot more than other parts of the country. I was making three times in California what I was able to earn in other States.

So it is all relative.
After factoring in cost of living, the purchasing power of Californians would rank 43rd of US states.

I don't think this tax will be enough for the future pensions they will have to deal with...I say triple it.

Old 04-30-2017, 05:41 AM

13,711 posts, read 9,237,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtrucks View Post
Try swallowing that Californians---buon appetito!!!

https://www.yahoo.com/news/californi...-business.html

Yep, the Democrats should copy the Republican playbook and just kick the can down the road while giving the rich a tax cut (and make the middle class cover for the short fall).

Senate GOP Blocks Obama's $60 Billion Infrastructure Plan | Fox News

Right-wingers are astounded that roads and bridges have to be paid for.

Old 04-30-2017, 05:47 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,850,938 times
Yep, they complain about welfare moms mooching off of society, then they think this California increase is somehow unfair. Roads, bridges, and all other public services come at a cost. None of us like it, but there is no free lunch.

Here in Florida, we have some of the lowest taxes around, and our roads suck. I never see a crew out repairing them, but, when I lived in California, they had a crew out all night, maintaining the highways. Can't have it both ways.

Old 04-30-2017, 05:57 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,024,933 times
Here in South Carolina we are hoping our state legislators will implement a fuel tax for the roads.

So far hard lined Republicans are refusing and our infrastructures are crumbling. These guys would rather have us all on gravel roads dodging sink holes rather than raise funds to fix the roads. I don't know where they think the money is going to come from. Maybe they think Daddy Donald will fork up some big bucks for infrastructure repairs. So far we have seen little promise of this

Old 04-30-2017, 06:01 AM

9,511 posts, read 9,092,438 times
Question Why do Californians use so much gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post

So it is all relative.
Aren't cars and vehicles the main reason we have global warming. Shouldn't California be more careful and force each family to own just one vehicle and encourage riding bikes more? The weather is nice = bike more. Stay off the roads.

Old 04-30-2017, 06:24 AM

13,694 posts, read 9,014,113 times
Note that the new taxes will not be raising 52 billion per year, but over the next decade. This article from the Sacramento Bee explains it well:

California gas tax increase - what it costs and what it does | The Sacramento Bee
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies