Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2017, 07:30 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,820,009 times

Advertisements

I've mailed hundreds of packages (business related) over the past 7-8 years and have had very few problems. A couple were returned because of bad address (given to me), one (of very small value) was stolen. And thats it as far as problems go.

Everything is sent insured and is always delivered promptly. And at a far cheaper price than FEDEX or UPS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2017, 07:30 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,233,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
For only $0.49 I get next day delivery in my city.
Fedex and UPS can't do that.
I can do same day delivery for free.

Old 04-30-2017, 07:34 PM

4,019 posts, read 3,954,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTransplant View Post
If you're recommending they be left to die, I suggest you consider just letting them privatize.

At least US Postal Service creates millions of good paying jobs. A US postal worker makes 20 to 30 dollars an hour with great benefits including a retirement plan. A UPS or Fedex driver makes half of that with little or no benefits, even though a UPS driver has to work much harder lifting heavy boxes all day while US postal workers handles mostly lightweight mail and letters.

Old 04-30-2017, 07:34 PM

6,393 posts, read 4,117,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
I've mailed hundreds of packages (business related) over the past 7-8 years and have had very few problems. A couple were returned because of bad address (given to me), one (of very small value) was stolen. And thats it as far as problems go.

Everything is sent insured and is always delivered promptly. And at a far cheaper price than FEDEX or UPS.
Good, then there shouldn't be any problem removing life support from it.

Old 04-30-2017, 07:36 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,722,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
For only $0.49 I get next day delivery in my city.
Fedex and UPS can't do that.
Exactly. The USPS is in the Constitution.

Old 04-30-2017, 07:39 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,495,737 times
UPS and Fedex rely on the USPS to deliver nearly half of their packages. That "last mile" is expensive and the Post Office can do it far cheaper.

Old 04-30-2017, 07:48 PM

11,269 posts, read 11,035,002 times
I've never had a problem with USPS. Ordered a piece of computer equipment just before Christmas and got it several days earlier than expected.

Can't say the same for UPS or FedEx. My Swiss Colony shipment this Christmas sat at some FE terminal for three weeks in limbo. A previous Christmas I got a package with half the goods broken and the box was thrashed when delivered by UPS.

Old 04-30-2017, 07:52 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,375,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
Am I the only one that has noticed USPS consistently delivering packages late? UPS and FedEx seem to be getting it right.

What if we just let USPS die of natural causes? I'm talking about not keep putting it on life support. If they can't deliver mail and packages on time, what's the point of keeping it around?
You do realize that the USPS was actually forced to pay in advance ALL Pension payments to the Government (Federally) in ADVANCE.. then basically defunded and allowed free market couriers of mail ala Fed-EX and many other entities. Course, USPS has been funding itself with stamps and charges/fees just like any other Carriers. They have had to reconstruct their structure in order to compete.

USPS is no longer what many may believe. A little history here!!
https://www.thoughtco.com/about-the-...ervice-3321146

Quote:
THE MODERN POSTAL SERVICE: AGENCY OR BUSINESS?
Until the adoption of the Postal Reorganization Act of 1970, the U.S. Postal Service functioned as a regular, tax-supported, agency of the federal government.

According to the laws under which it now operates, the U.S. Postal Service is a semi-independent federal agency, mandated to be revenue-neutral. That is, it is supposed to break even, not make a profit.

In 1982, U.S. postage stamps became "postal products," rather than a form of taxation. Since then, the bulk of the cost of operating the postal system has been paid for by customers through the sale of "postal products" and services rather than taxes.

Each class of mail is also expected to cover its share of the costs, a requirement that causes the percentage rate adjustments to vary in different classes of mail, according to the costs associated with the processing and delivery characteristics of each class.

According to the costs of operations, U.S. Postal Service rates are set by the Postal Regulatory Commission according to the recommendations of the Postal Board of Governor's
https://about.usps.com/who-we-are/po...cant-dates.htm
1982 - Last year Postal Serviceâ„¢ accepted public service subsidy

https://about.usps.com/who-we-are/po...gs-to-know.htm

Quote:
And most importantly…

The Postal Service receives NO tax dollars for operating expenses and relies on the sale of postage, products and services to fund its operations.
The reasoning behind USPS had to cut back on Saturday deliveries and other such cut backs~~
The Truth About The Post Office's Financial Mess
Quote:
The financial woes of the U.S. Postal System have become a point of contention on Capitol Hill. The Postal Service is supposed to make a $5.5 billion payment to its retiree health care fund by November 18th... but doesn't have the money.

US Postal Service workers have a retiree health care benefit in addition to their pension. Before Congress passed the Postal Accountability and Enhancement Act of 2006, the USPS operated under a pay-as-you-go model for retiree health care funding. The new law requires the Postal Service to pre-fund its benefit obligations.

"The idea is that enough money is saved over the course of a career that the benefit is fully paid for by the time the worker retires.

Thanks to these prefunding payments, the Postal Service has greatly reduced its unfunded obligations for retiree health benefits. At the end of fiscal year 2010, these obligations were under $49 billion – a substantial sum, but much more manageable. If the Postal Service continues making its prefunding payments, its unfunded obligations for retiree health benefits will be around $33 billion by the end of the decade. And the postal service will be on course to pay these benefits over time," a Congressional insider explained.

Old 04-30-2017, 07:59 PM

45,235 posts, read 26,464,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Get rid of USPS and watch prices increase on FEDEX and UPS. And think on how much a stamp will cost if USPS dies.
What do you think the true cost of a stamp is without the taxpayer subsidy?

Old 04-30-2017, 08:03 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,450,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTransplant View Post
If you're recommending they be left to die, I suggest you consider just letting them privatize.

USPS is not really a competitor to UPS and FedEx. Right now they have obligations-such as universal service and funding of pensions-which UPS and FedEx do not have. They also have limits-such as not being allowed to raise stamp rates even when it makes sense-that are stopping them from being competitive with UPS and FedEx.

I doubt they would win head to head competition without limits-but they *certainly* won't win if you keep all the restrictions but fail to give them the opportunity to fairly compete.
Hear, hear. That USPS service is as good as it is with all that is asked of them is actually kind of amazing and somewhat of a miracle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies