Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2017, 08:52 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,124,275 times

Advertisements

Another "slap on the wrist"?

Old 05-02-2017, 08:53 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,124,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
They gun down innocent white people too, so it's not race, it's that they're above the law.
They really are, as they are very rarely held accountable.

Old 05-02-2017, 08:56 AM

2,003 posts, read 1,172,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
So instead of looking at the video ourselves and looking at independent evidence when it comes out we should just jump to the conclusion that this was an unjustified shooting?
Well when the police chief negates your report...

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/dall...-balch-springs

Old 05-02-2017, 08:58 AM

6,129 posts, read 6,834,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post

Has nothing to do with wondering why they used an old photo. He looks about 12 there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tb4000 View Post
They used an old photo so he doesn't look, for lack of a better term, threatening. He was probably a very nice kid and did nothing to warrant getting shot, but if he looks like a dangerous black kid people will grasp at any straw.
Quote:
But isnt that also deceitful?

With a breaking story, reporters will use the first photo they can find of reproducible quality. If the family doesn't turn over an updated photo (which they often don't, since it's not really their priority at the moment) the media (usually AP or reuters) will use something from another relative or friend, or grab something of social media if they can find something of high enough resolution. Then everyone uses that photo.

More updated pictures of this young man started appearing yesterday afternoon. I'm assuming they got something from the school (a yearbook photo) or a family member supplied some pictures.

Old 05-02-2017, 09:02 AM

16,912 posts, read 10,640,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurefinder View Post
Well when the police chief negates your report...

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/dall...-balch-springs
During the Obama Administration we had police departments and "higher-ups" telling cops to stand down and not prevent looting and rioting, all for racial and political reasons. So, like I said, I will wait to see the video and more evidence.

Old 05-02-2017, 09:03 AM

36,806 posts, read 31,098,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
With a breaking story, reporters will use the first photo they can find of reproducible quality. If the family doesn't turn over an updated photo (which they often don't, since it's not really their priority at the moment) the media (usually AP or reuters) will use something from another relative or friend, or grab something of social media if they can find something of high enough resolution. Then everyone uses that photo.

More updated pictures of this young man started appearing yesterday afternoon. I'm assuming they got something from the school (a yearbook photo) or a family member supplied some pictures.
Funny that the photos are always from 2 or three years prior.

Old 05-02-2017, 09:08 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,867,920 times
Quote:
My guess is that's an old picture, maybe 12 years old. Why didnt they use a current picture.
On this, I have a 15 year old black son.... Last year he had a baby face like in the OP link. This year though, he looks more mature, but still like a pimply faced teen with the same baby face. Here is a recent picture from the NY Times.

Not sure why you are upset though they used probably an older pic. Do you want the black male child honors student, athlete to look not like an actual child so you can make excuses for him being murdered by law enforcement....

Odd comment from you:

Jordan Edwards
https://static01.nyt.com/images/2017...erJumbo-v6.jpg

My son looks similar to this boy -pimply faced, geeky sort of kid like most black boys I know in this age group.

Last edited by CaseyB; 05-02-2017 at 11:06 AM..

Old 05-02-2017, 09:10 AM

6,129 posts, read 6,834,004 times
Quote:

They aren't "always".

In any case, that was the photo used in the first 24 hours. Now there are more out there, and you can see what he looked like at 15.

But really... what would be the deception here? By all accounts this kid was no menacing thug. A younger picture made him look like an innocent kid... and he was one. Even in his updated picture he doesn't look particularly threatening, he looks like a skinny smiling teen. So I'm not sure what you are getting at here.

Unless this is residual butthurt over the Trayvon Martin photo. LOL

Old 05-02-2017, 09:10 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,867,920 times
Quote:
Many parents don't post recent pics of their teens online and often the media will grab a Facebook photo.

I don't have any recent photos of my teenage son on social media because I respect his privacy and stopped posting without telling him or getting his permission since he was about 12 years old. So 12-13 would be the most current pics of him on my social media page. He doesn't have any pics of himself on his own social media page (I monitor it).

But your issue with the photo is really odd IMO. Are you less apt to feel sympathy or empathy for him or his family based on the picture used...?

Or are you trying to provide an excuse for him being killed - that he might have "looked menacing" just because he is a black teenage male?

Old 05-02-2017, 09:12 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,708,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
100% agree. But what bothers some of us is when the rare bad shooting occurs there's this tendency with police departments to circle the wagons and stonewall instead of being open and forthcoming. Getting information and details of what occurred is like pulling teeth. This shooting is a case in point. Why are we still waiting for the dash-cam and body video to be released?
Unfortunately, that happens with practically every group including doctors, lawyers and politicians. It's a human issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies