Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2017, 03:40 PM

7,185 posts, read 3,711,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
You are mixing up several things here.

The closing of so many abortion clinics has nothing to do with public funding. It has to do with state regulations that are designed to put them out of business, because said regulations make abortion unaffordable for low-income women - since of course abortions are not covered by federal medicaid. Some states do pay for abortions, but that is from state money, not federal. And of course the states that do this are not the states that are trying to regulate abortion out of existence. Women who can afford private physicians are still getting abortions, since they're not low-income and don't depend on PP for their medical care.

PP, like other entities, contracts with both fed and state governments to provide non-abortion services. PP is not pocketing this money, it is providing the services it contracts to provide. It must meet the same state and federal contracting regulations that any other low-income health provider must meet - such as the many catholic clinics that provide health care for low-income folks.

It is perfectly legal for a not-for-profit to make a profit (income greater than expenses), and the well-run ones do make a profit. They don't distribute that profit to shareholders or a board. What they do with that profit is what makes some of them rank higher than others when watchdogs like GuideStar rate them.

And it's OK for a not-for-profit to have an agenda - otherwise known as a mission statement or a reason for existing. When was the last time you donated money to a not-for-profit that had no agenda?
Probably back when trump didn't want to debate so he did that "fund raiser" for the vets... oh, wait... wrong on both counts, it wasn't a not-for-profit and trump did have an agenda.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2017, 04:09 PM

57,410 posts, read 26,339,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kat in aiken View Post
And, there is also the republican thing about going after women. I noticed that, although there are some (seven?) republican women in the senate, not one of them is on the republican senate committee about the new healthcare law. It is as if there is no healthcare issue that concerns or affects women, so women don't need to have any input into the law, right?
I recall a house hearing on contraception back in 2012, a priest, a rabbi and 3 other men to determine women's health care.

There was meeting on health care back in March, discussing mammograms. Look at that picture, I understand Conway attended the meeting but not captured in the photograph.

Dems mock House GOP over lack of women in healthcare meeting | TheHill

Old 05-06-2017, 05:23 PM

18,412 posts, read 19,064,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyDrew1 View Post
Before there was planned parenthood, there were county clinics that gave free contraception, cancer screenings, and abortions

And they still exist

Along with even more places to get free contraceptions, high schools, colleges, etc...

So we won't notice Planned Parenthood is gone, Trust me.

People still have plenty of options but by Counties who don't profit off of killings and sell baby parts. And they don't encourage pre-marital sex nor promiscuous behavior to make more $$ either. More non- biased healthcare basically

Nothing lost if Planned Parenthood is de-funded
trust you? plenty is lost when PP is defunded. they serve millions with needed health care.

premarital sex and promiscuous behavior is a fact of life, your view of the behavior does not negate the need for services.

Old 05-06-2017, 05:28 PM

18,412 posts, read 19,064,771 times
Quote:
So when murder is legal, as long as you're not the one being murdered, your taxes can fund murder??

No loss to me if you are murdered but I suspect you think differently than you are posting

As long as others are tortured until death, and it's not myself being tortured, then I have no problems funding it??

Such a good guy we have here!
murder and torture? are you talking about our military budget?

abortion is an individual choice. woman have the right to it even if you disagree.

Old 05-06-2017, 05:29 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,347,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
Since Planned Parenthood states no Government funding goes towards abortions, how is they state that women wont have a safe place to do them? There are thousands of abortion clinics in the USA, so I call BS on their part. Truth is, the funding supports all operations of doing abortions indirectly. Correct.
Simply, They take the public funds and put most of it in their pocket. It is a money making venture for them. Without public money they have no profit. Shut them down heath care will be there by real doctors and nurses. Never has PP been about providing any kind of aid. It has always been Agenda driven and profit orientated.
It is a play on words, but its no different than how our politicians do illegal things and get away with it. They wordsmith to their constituents.
They just have to fund it themselves. Too bad.

Old 05-06-2017, 05:31 PM

1,400 posts, read 866,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
They need legally stop providing abortions because you don't agree with something that is perfectly legal.
Driving my elderly neighbors to and from the hospital is perfectly legal as well, but I don't expect federal funding for a new car.

Just because you agree with something that is perfectly legal doesn't mean the entity providing the service should receive federal funding.

Old 05-06-2017, 05:33 PM

42,870 posts, read 26,387,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
Money is like air. If you send it for one purpose then the end user just takes the money that they would have used for that purpose and use it to kill babies
BS go look at PP's audited financials.

Old 05-06-2017, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1grin_g0 View Post
Driving my elderly neighbors to and from the hospital is perfectly legal as well, but I don't expect federal funding for a new car.
Just because you agree with something that is perfectly legal doesn't mean the entity providing the service should receive federal funding.
There is no federal funding for abortions, PP receives federal funding for the other services they provide but I'm sure that since that doesn't fit your narrative you will refuse to believe it.

Old 05-06-2017, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Selling baby parts is very lucrative. That 3% of abortions is likely a lie anyhow.
Remember they are slaughtering human beings and selling their body parts.
It doesn't seem their character lends itself to integrity or honesty, eh?
That's absolutely untrue, I'm surprised that you of all people would believe nonsense like that

Old 05-06-2017, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
I say yes. PP claims no federal funds used for abortion. So why do they have a problem with defunding?
WTF? They are taking the money away from them that they use to provide other services, it's already against the law to use federal funds to provide abortions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies