Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2017, 01:04 PM

19,814 posts, read 9,371,980 times

Advertisements

With all this talk about the proposed new insurance plan, I am just wondering what, from your individual standpoint, would be best for you and/or your immediate family, and what would be the maximum you would be willing to pay for that? If you choose to answer, please state the basics of your particular situation (household members, their ages, and your general socioeconomic group, if you choose to share that). I would also be interested in knowing what would you like to see for the nation, in general, regarding insurance and/or healthcare.

FOR US:

In my case, I am 63 and married, my husband is 60, and we are both in good health with no current medical conditions except that my husband is taking blood pressure medication, and neither of us have had any major or serious past medical conditions -- knock wood. We are middle class with comfortable savings.

For us, for non-major medical, I would like to see co-pays of $50 per office visit, $250 for outpatient surgeries, and $25 for prescriptions. For major medical at 80% (after a $5,000 annual deductible each), plus co-pays of $2,500 per surgery and/or hospital stay with our maximum total lifetime contribution of not more than $50,000 each. (Dental, vision, and hearing needs would be covered, but nursing home stays, mental health services, and cosmetic procedures would not be covered.) For all that, I would be willing to pay a maximum of $500 per month in insurance premiums for each of us -- or $1,000 per month for us both. I would also like all insurance premium and medical payments to be tax deductible.

FOR THE NATION:

I don't think that anyone should be denied coverage altogether because of a pre-existing condition. but I also think that premiums should be based on the individual and his/her history. I also think that insurance should not be mandatory, but if adults choose not to pay for insurance, then I don't think they should be entitled to any kind of medical treatment that they cannot pay for except when treatment is necessary to preserve life* (or in such cases as treating a broken leg, for example); and in those situations, they should be expected to pay as much as they reasonably can for their treatment. (To be clear, I don't think that any child should be denied medical or dental treatment, period.) I also ]think that Medicare should be abolished except for those now 55 or older,with refunds or tax credits given to those now under 55 according to how much they have paid into it. (Those who are now 55+ would have the option of having Medicare as it stands now or choosing private insurance instead.)

Of course, this is just a "bare bones" summary of what I would like from an admittedly very self-centered viewpoint, but I am more interested in reading what YOU think would be best for YOU. My only purpose for starting this thread is to get an idea of what people would choose for themselves, given the opportunity, and to express what they would like to see regarding the U.S. overall; and I respectfully ask that you not insult anyone for expressing their opinions.

*For example, YES to treatment for a heart attack or for injuries sustained in a car crash; NO to consultations for a sore throat unless there is good reason to suspect it might be a symptom of something much more serious than just a cold. I would also support free birth control for those who want it and cannot afford it otherwise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2017, 01:20 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,230,847 times
The plan I had before that jackass lied and took it away from.

I want what I had before ACA that took care of me instead of other people.

I pay my way. Others should too. If they can't, not my problem.

Old 05-07-2017, 01:22 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,373,891 times
A free market.

Old 05-07-2017, 01:25 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,666,314 times
Medicare for all from cradle to grave. It would come from payroll withholding as it does now. It would be cheaper than it is now for everyone as only people 65 and older are on it and these are the sickest demographic in the nation.

Old 05-07-2017, 01:28 PM

9,617 posts, read 6,066,951 times
Just the services and coverage we chose, high deductibles, incentives for good test results, (blood sugar, bp, bmi, those sorts of things). Portability and pre-existing condions possibly, though that area could be a little tricky. Would be more open to pre-existing condition coverage if there was a much heavier emphasis on lifestyle.

Old 05-07-2017, 01:36 PM

5,302 posts, read 2,356,621 times
Purely selfish? Everyone gets taxed and all the money goes to me.

Old 05-07-2017, 01:38 PM

8,894 posts, read 5,375,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post

Same here.

Old 05-07-2017, 01:39 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,072,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post

Actually you don't pay your way. Nobody really does. This is the big myth of the free market, that somehow what you put in is what you get back. You always get back more than what you contribute when it comes to insurance. A government run insurance plan would make sure everybody pays, no exceptions.

Old 05-07-2017, 01:40 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,230,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zortation View Post
Actually you don't pay your way. Nobody really does. This is the big myth of the free market, that somehow what you put in is what you get back. A government run insurance plan would make sure everybody pays, no exceptions.
Uh huh, got some ocean front property in Arizona. Interested?

Old 05-07-2017, 01:56 PM

8,894 posts, read 5,375,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zortation View Post
Actually you don't pay your way. Nobody really does. This is the big myth of the free market, that somehow what you put in is what you get back. You always get back more than what you contribute when it comes to insurance. A government run insurance plan would make sure everybody pays, no exceptions.
How do you plan on that. A large percentage don't even pay income tax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies