Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2017, 04:06 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,382,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
They don't want a separate graduation ceremony.

They will be participating in the full graduation ceremony along with everyone else.

The separate celebration is really about networking more than anything else. Graduates from an elite university networking with one another based on something they have in common. Oh, the horror!
That's the puzzling part.

As a criminal justice grad I only wanted to network with folks in that field.

I have no idea what benefit there is to networking with people based on race.

Whatever. As I've stated a million times it's a private matter and no one is initiating force on any one else so have at it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2017, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashes1 View Post
If I was black I wouldn't want to hang around whites for too long, just like if I was white/Asian I wouldn't want to hang around blacks too long.

Self segregation is healthy. Look at San Francisco, NYC, and Boston....the most self segregating parts of the country....and they're doing pretty well.
I have no clue why anyone would self-segregate based on skin color.

In a living situation I want low crime, low noise, and friendliness when I'm out and about. If you qualify regardless of race, color, creed, religion I want you as my neighbor (if I have to have one).

Old 05-09-2017, 04:14 PM

1,584 posts, read 1,975,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
I have no clue why anyone would self-segregate based on skin color.

In a living situation I want low crime, low noise, and friendliness when I'm out and about. If you qualify regardless of race, color, creed, religion I want you as my neighbor (if I have to have one).
I agree, but I think in real world terms it's hard to find people outside your race who share the majority of your people's interests/beliefs/religion, etc. That's why I think just segregating yourself from the start just makes it easier. There's exceptions of course, but very few.

Old 05-09-2017, 04:24 PM

Quote:
I agree, but I think in real world terms it's hard to find people outside your race who share the majority of your people's interests/beliefs/religion, etc. That's why I think just segregating yourself from the start just makes it easier. There's exceptions of course, but very few.
I don't have a people. I'm just me.

I have no recent Asian ancestry (to my knowledge) but I chose to live in one of the highest-concentrated Asian areas in the nation. The low crime, friendliness, and cleanliness are perfect for me. Interests and religion don't really apply to me. The language gap isn't too bad as I've tried to adapt as much as I can.

Of course only certain areas are on the table due to my economic situation (as is the case with all of us). I'd love to be able to afford to live in Malibu or Santa Monica but my wallet won't allow it.

Old 05-09-2017, 04:30 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 27 days ago)

29,573 posts, read 16,560,540 times
Quote:
If I was black I wouldn't want to hang around whites for too long, just like if I was white/Asian I wouldn't want to hang around blacks too long.

Self segregation is healthy. Look at San Francisco, NYC, and Boston....the most self segregating parts of the country....and they're doing pretty well.
Yes, all of those places have black, Irish and or Asian neighborhoods, but they are only self segregated in the context of large cities.

If you go to the deep south, every shopping in the same grocery store does not mean the area isnt segregated. My town is probably far more segregated than New York City, but since we have 1 high school that serves the entire area, and only 1 wal mart, then in the eyes of city people, we are integrated

Old 05-09-2017, 04:33 PM

130 posts, read 71,899 times
I never thought I would see so much argument FOR segregation. Funny how the democrat policies of the past run full circle.

Old 05-09-2017, 04:49 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,715,671 times
[quote=2mares;48099213]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post

What are the different beliefs.

If you say someone is uneducated on a topic it implies you are. If so you should have enough understanding to support your statement and give some understanding. As you said its not rocket science, I'm not asking for an in depth course.
I told you....the beliefs and values that manifest in the vast majority of whites in Tennessee voting republican while the vast majority of blacks, in Tennessee, vote democrat. If you do not know the different beliefs and values of the two platforms......again....that is not my job to educate you. Also, "white supremacy" is a belief.....and its a sad testimony if you blacks in Tennessee believe this too....since you say there is no cultural difference between blacks and whites there....that you know of.

Old 05-09-2017, 05:01 PM

5,661 posts, read 3,525,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atalanta View Post
I don't know if there is an obsession with black people.

Some of the black people are speaking out loudly in groups about how whites are racist on them.

I see it as you can't have your cake and eat it too.
If a group is going to say you shouldn't exclude blacks because it's racist then when something like this ceremony comes up people are going to question it.

Regarding the Asian and Hispanic issues, I don't see them in groups around the country calling whites racists
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
On the bold, that's because you don't pay attention to them. You only pay attention to black people.

There are various groups of Asian Americans and Latino Americans who speak about white supremacy and white racists. Their student unions also hold Asian American and/or Latino American graduation ceremonies and they publish them on their own internet media sites, but white conservative sites like "The Blaze" don't scour those other ones like they do the blacks. They don't because they are obsessed with what black people are doing and are attempting to drive a racial wedge between Americans in order to sell advertising dollars.

ETA: Diverse Graduation Ceremonies:

At Ohio State an Asian Graduation Ceremony - Asian Excellence Awards and Graduation Ceremony : Multicultural Center
At Columbia various "multi-cultural" ceremonies to include black, Latino, Asian, LGBTQ, Native, and First Generation students https://www.cc-seas.columbia.edu/gradzone/multicultural
At Stanford - Asian Graduation Ceremony - https://a3c.stanford.edu/programs/as...can-graduation
At Darmouth various "multi- cultural" ceremonies to include black, Latinx, Asian, LGBTQ, and First Generation graduates - Graduations and Award Ceremonies

Google is your friend, my friend
You saying I don't pay attention to them I only pay attention to black people.

Do I know you other than this forum?
For you to say that's what I do you must know me in everyday life pretty well.

I haven't seen any ALM groups Asian Lives Matter
HLM Hispanics Lives Matter
Running around breaking laws and attacking police and yelling white supremacy

Nor have I seen and heard much talk of the evil whitey. And I am around allot of diverse people.

Old 05-09-2017, 05:07 PM

2,678 posts, read 1,702,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8won6 View Post
you're funny. I'll remember this post during the next "look at this crime a black person committed thread". Somehow the people are experts on "black culture" then, but you're playing stupid now.
This.

This is everything sir.

Old 05-09-2017, 05:12 PM

5,661 posts, read 3,525,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokinouta View Post
I'm black and a women, in the construction business. It's difficult for everyone. If you continue to have the mindset that life is uncomfortable for you because of your skin color or gender you'll avoid taking the risks that will make you an equal. You will also cling to comfort at the dismissal of higher goals. My mother is white, and I can tell you she has suffered from being uncomfortable in my dads family as well. Yet, she continues to endure it without complaint. I get self segregating to a certain degree, but not everyone can do this. White people get condemned for this, black people get embraced for doing this. Those of us who are mixed get a chance to be unavoidably uncomfortable in both groups. There is a clear difference in how each group handles discomfort.

Regardless of what you think, the concept that white people are happy if you as a black person suffer in silence is ridiculous to me. I think you confuse this with white people being use to discomfort and handling it without complaint. I see this as the main difference when visiting each side of the family. One has a built in club that identifies with like members, and one doesn't. Try to keep an open mind and remember, the act of suffering brings people together, but sometimes it's just an act to feel that unity. I know very few black people who actually suffer in 2017 due to the color of their skin. I'm sure there are some, but not enough to warrant self segregation in my opinion.
Awesome post!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies