Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2017, 10:43 AM

44,252 posts, read 64,604,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atalanta View Post

Regarding the Asian and Hispanic issues, I don't see them in groups around the country calling whites racists
As a high level professional who happens to be brown, I will tell you the racism is everywhere. It just becomes more subtle in the ways you're slighted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2017, 10:43 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,851,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamban View Post
I don't care if the blacks do a privately funded, invitation only second graduation ceremony. Their money, their choice.

But what if the tables were turned. Howard university is 91 % black and the whites are in the minority at 1.5%. If they decided to do a privately funded, invitation only second graduation ceremony for white graduating students, how will that fly in our media and society?
Wouldn't bother me in the slightest. Private party, they can invite / not invite anyone they please.

The Blaze however might not have tried to hype it, and therefore no one would have posted it to CD, and we wouldn't be talking about it.

Old 05-09-2017, 10:51 AM

15,906 posts, read 21,552,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
The students are attending the main graduation ceremony, so I see no issue with it.
This.

Don't all colleges have affinity celebrations for their graduates? My alma mater has a "Lavender" Graduation for the LGBTQ community, a baccalaureate service for religious students (predominantly Christian), and various other ethnic or racial affinity ceremonies and celebrations, as well as programs for many of the departments.

I participated in a graduation celebration through Hillel that could be called in clickbaity articles as a "Jewish-only graduation ceremony."

Did y'all even go to college? Oy vey.

Old 05-09-2017, 11:03 AM

29,637 posts, read 16,670,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Colleges like Harvard give financial support to people at a much higher income level than, say, the Ohio State.
If you had clicked the link, it breaks down income level for incoming freshmen.

Old 05-09-2017, 11:04 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,755,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Tough to move forward when you are shackled by the past. Perhaps impossible. thank goodness it is the activists and not the entire community who enjoy their death grip on the past.
Well, you would be surprised to learn that it is the most educated who are the most "shackled by the death grip" according to you. Poor inner-city residents are not even thinking about the past.....yet...they are the poorest. It seems to me that poor inner-city blacks would benefit from this knowledge and understanding.

The past was my motivation....not my shackles. Success is the best revenge....if one seeks vengeance. However, I enjoy my life and income and it comes from redemption for my ancestors.

Last edited by Indentured Servant; 05-09-2017 at 11:12 AM..

Old 05-09-2017, 11:11 AM

6,129 posts, read 6,840,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokinouta View Post
Isn't it a bit different if it's based solely on the color of your skin?

Self segregating causes the very problems they'll get upset about later. I understand that comfort is important but it's not productive, it never has been. Discomfort is a basic condition of thinking outside the box.

The thing is, the students haven't been self-segregating. They have been attending classes and socializing with and living with and doing projects with their non-black peers all along. In an elite graduate school especially, they have no choice, since they are often on of a very few (if not the only one) in their grad program.

The reason black grad students seek out each other is not because they don't want to experience discomfort... in fact, they LIVE the discomfort, they EMBODY "out of the box" thinking. Many have learned how to excel in discomfort LOL, that's how they got to Harvard in the first place. And many of them know what they are getting into when they choose to come there to study.

When they get together they are looking for a BREAK from the discomfort they experience every day.

In any case, this is one event coming at the conclusion of the experience, it's not an example representative of the whole experience.

And it's not solely based on skin color exactly, it's more based on a shared experience as a result of the skin color, if that makes sense. Many have experienced people assuming they were only admitted because of Affirmative Action, been hit with casually racist comments and actions from their peers, had faculty that assumed they were not as bright, etc. Not ALL peers/faculty of course, but some. So they have that in common, and like to get together for support and to self-advocate for change.

It's kind of a damned if you do or damned if you don't situation. If they ignore crappy treatment, they are not making it any better for the people who come after them. If they try to handle it all alone, they get extra stress and feelings of isolation, making them more prone to depression. If they get together sometimes for support, they are "self segregating". If they speak up, they are "playing the race card" and folks will argue them down that their problems don't exist, in classic gaslighting fashion.

As a black person I can tell you it feels like some white people are going to complain no matter what we do so after a while we tune them out. LOL. The only thing that will make some white people happy is if you suffer in silence and tell them everything is great and they are perfect. Oh well.

Old 05-09-2017, 11:17 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,880,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
This.

Don't all colleges have affinity celebrations for their graduates? My alma mater has a "Lavender" Graduation for the LGBTQ community, a baccalaureate service for religious students (predominantly Christian), and various other ethnic or racial affinity ceremonies and celebrations, as well as programs for many of the departments.

I participated in a graduation celebration through Hillel that could be called in clickbaity articles as a "Jewish-only graduation ceremony."

Did y'all even go to college? Oy vey.
I thought the same thing as the bold!!

I figured they don't know much about college to know this is a common occurrence for various celebrations during graduations. I went to an HBCU and they had different celebrations as well based on major, religious denomination, and for international students from various parts of the world and even for black American students from certain regions of the country.

Old 05-09-2017, 11:19 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,755,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
The thing is, the students haven't been self-segregating. They have been attending classes and socializing with and living with and doing projects with their non-black peers all along. In an elite graduate school especially, they have no choice, since they are often on of a very few (if not the only one) in their grad program.

The reason black grad students seek out each other is not because they don't want to experience discomfort... in fact, they LIVE the discomfort, they EMBODY "out of the box" thinking. Many have learned how to excel in discomfort LOL, that's how they got to Harvard in the first place. And many of them know what they are getting into when they choose to come there to study.

When they get together they are looking for a BREAK from the discomfort they experience every day.

In any case, this is one event coming at the conclusion of the experience, not an example representative of the whole experience.

And it's not solely based on skin color exactly, it's more based on a shared experience as a result of the skin color, if that makes sense. Many have experienced people assuming they were only admitted because of Affirmative Action, been hit with casually racist comments and actions from their peers, had faculty that assumed they were not as bright, etc. Not ALL peers/faculty of course, but some. So they have that in common, and like to get together for support and to self-advocate for change.

It's kind of a damned if you do or damned if you don't situation. If they ignore crappy treatment, they are not making it any better for the people who come after them. If they try to handle it all alone, they get extra stress and feelings of isolation, making them more prone to depression. If they get together sometimes for support, they are "self segregating". If they speak up, they are "playing the race card" and folks will argue them down that their problems don't exist, in classic gaslighting fashion.

As a black person I can tell you it feels like some white people are going to complain no matter what we do so after a while we tune them out. LOL. The only thing that will make some white people happy is if you suffer in silence and tell them everything is great and they are perfect. Oh well.
Thanks you! That was very well put and apropos. I am feeling what you describe here at work...where I work in a department that is about 2% black, with over 300 people. I get along fine with everyone.....however.....I need an escape....lol

Old 05-09-2017, 11:33 AM

6,129 posts, read 6,840,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Thanks you! That was very well put and apropos. I am feeling what you describe here at work...where I work in a department that is about 2% black, with over 300 people. I get along fine with everyone.....however.....I need an escape....lol

LOL exactly! We can go into these spaces, get along with folks for the most part, do well at the school, and learn to ignore the racists and/or ignorant stuff when it does happen. But just because you do doesn't mean it's not work and sometimes you want a break, and perhaps help change things so it's not so much work for people who come behind you.

But doing that makes you a racist, or something. Apparently. LMAO!

Old 05-09-2017, 11:33 AM

29,637 posts, read 16,670,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
... which means that 23 percent of blacks at Harvard come from very well off families, since the wealthy are the only ones who don't get any financial aid there.

And this caught my eye:
As far as you know, that 23% have scholarships that pay for their tuition outside of the University.

Quote:
So much for the myth of undeserving legacy students getting huge advantages in the admissions process.
And you believe this because ???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies