Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you believe the government should enforce "traditional values"?
I am conservative and believe that the state should enforce traditional values 3 8.57%
I am conservative and support traditional values but they should be up to the individual and not be enforced 11 31.43%
I am moderate and believe that the state should enforce traditional values 1 2.86%
I am liberal and each person's values is their own. This is America 20 57.14%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2017, 11:40 PM

5,671 posts, read 4,352,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Most conservatives believe that we should return to traditional values as a nation. Things like strong nuclear families, abstinence before marriage, strong cultural Christianity, family-oriented television, rejection of homosexuality and transgenderism, and high respect for institutions such as religion, the government, and the military. Basically, a return to the late 1950s but with modern technology/medicine and less overt racism.

Problem is, the cat is out of the bag and has been since the civil rights movement and sexual revolution of the 1960s. Church attendance is at an all-time low, especially with the Millennial generation. Gays are out of the closet and aren't going back willingly.

The only way we are returning to "traditional values" in our country is if it is enforced by the state. However, there are some big Constitutional problems with doing so. This is one reason that while the religious right has managed to slow social progress they have not been able to stop it.

Would you support the government enforcing a return to traditional values in our country? If so, how far do you think would be acceptable to go to do it?
I'm an independent. I'm probably more liberal, but I don't pay enough attention to politics to know. I think we should scrap traditional values entirely. Church attendance is definitely a negative thing. We also need to pay more attention to eugenics though. There are people procreating who should not be procreating. This should be optional...but they still shouldn't procreate. I think we're already at the stage where nobody cares if you have a family or kids or not, and I think that's ideal. I'd dread our society heading back to that hellhole of the past where everybody was expected to marry and become a parent. I can imagine no greater danger to society than that. I can imagine all the sociopaths and narcissists and antisocial freaks who must have gotten married, made their wives' or husband's lives a living hell, then procreated so their descendants could repeat the cycle. God, I'm glad I don't live back then, and instead live now and can engage in all the freakish stuff I want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2017, 11:42 PM

19,758 posts, read 22,666,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post

The poll seems to be lacking some options
Indeed. One of the most ill crafted I've ever seen.

Old 05-11-2017, 12:07 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Most conservatives believe that we should return to traditional values as a nation. Things like strong nuclear families, abstinence before marriage, strong cultural Christianity, family-oriented television, rejection of homosexuality and transgenderism, and high respect for institutions such as religion, the government, and the military. Basically, a return to the late 1950s but with modern technology/medicine and less overt racism.

Problem is, the cat is out of the bag and has been since the civil rights movement and sexual revolution of the 1960s. Church attendance is at an all-time low, especially with the Millennial generation. Gays are out of the closet and aren't going back willingly.

The only way we are returning to "traditional values" in our country is if it is enforced by the state. However, there are some big Constitutional problems with doing so. This is one reason that while the religious right has managed to slow social progress they have not been able to stop it.

Would you support the government enforcing a return to traditional values in our country? If so, how far do you think would be acceptable to go to do it?
while i believe in traditional values, it is not the governments place to enforce those values. the only thing the governments should enforce is the laws of the land.

Old 05-11-2017, 12:34 AM

14,775 posts, read 8,109,336 times
If America is a free Country, then Government should stay out of people's lives, and they should stay out of their personal
business and choices.

Old 05-11-2017, 01:33 AM

5,671 posts, read 4,352,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
while i believe in traditional values, it is not the governments place to enforce those values. the only thing the governments should enforce is the laws of the land.
good enough

Old 05-11-2017, 03:54 AM

1,940 posts, read 1,028,599 times
No

If the government would enforce the laws in place and stop all the corruption we wouldn't need to have this discussion.

Our government is teaching the next generation that you need to make money and gain power anyway you can regardless of the consequences of your actions on other people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies