Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2017, 08:09 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,906,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Nor did I say it was.

Rap = black music

Many white people, at least in my area and I believe in other areas of the country, actively HATE anything to do with rap - the music, culture, ideas, etc. They HATE it. In 2017. So my point was, which I thought clear, that there are still white people who have a problem with black music.

Number one, I'm not a millennial. Number two, even I were that doesn't mean I don't know about any other black musicians besides rappers.
If we're gonna go there:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDm_ZHyYTrg

That's def "rap" music. ^^^
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2017, 08:54 AM

28,671 posts, read 18,795,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
If we're gonna go there:

I wouldn't say so, unless you're joking.

But something that was country that I can't recall having been translated to black music (per se) were the old comedy song recordings, such as those by Ray Stevens. I'm not including recordings by stand-up comics who might have done some singing in their routines, but rather singer-songwriters who wrote and performed comedy songs among their straight songwriting and performances (Ray Stevens, for instance, had his greatest hit with the straight "Everything is Beautiful").

Old 05-18-2017, 02:01 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Session musicians and such, often providing substantial input. Haven't you seen "Hidden Figures?" Don't you realize such things have gone both ways?
Give me an example of how a white guy in Mississippi could have serious input in the creation of the blues? I just don't see how that could've happened.

Now i do believe that whites have made SIGNIFICANT contributions to blues music since the 1960's...no doubt about it. But in the beginning? I can't imagine such a scenario. Not in that climate.
Quote:
I don't like rap music myself, and I especially don't like what the rap music industry has done to the economic freedom of black musicians to explore other forms and continue to innovate musical idioms.
Hip hop basically created the super wealthy black music executive. Black musicians have more artistic freedom than ever to create whatever they want. Especially with the advent of the internet.

Sure, there were people like Berry Gordy back in the day, but that was an anomaly. P. Diddy isn't an anomaly in the industry anymore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
Oh please, bluegrass comes from Scottish and Irish folk music, no African connection whatsoever.
LOL...yeah, the banjo comes from Ireland and Scotland.

Old 05-18-2017, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Give me an example of how a white guy in Mississippi could have serious input in the creation of the blues? I just don't see how that could've happened.

Now i do believe that whites have made SIGNIFICANT contributions to blues music since the 1960's...no doubt about it. But in the beginning? I can't imagine such a scenario. Not in that climate.

Whites could go wherever they wanted in that climate. If a white musician wanted to sit in with a black group, he had that freedom. It wasn't as though musicians were that high on the social scale anyway. As I've already noted, the only real difference between blues and old-school country were the steel guitar and the base guitar.

Quote:
Hip hop basically created the super wealthy black music executive. Black musicians have more artistic freedom than ever to create whatever they want. Especially with the advent of the internet.

Sure, there were people like Berry Gordy back in the day, but that was an anomaly. P. Diddy isn't an anomaly in the industry anymore.

And yet, black music is less innovative now than at any period in the 20th century. It's not that money isn't there, it's that the industry has programmed the output too closely. And as well, there are fewer "garage bands" than there used to be. Less room for a new Sylvester Stewart to make it to radio play.

The internet has certainly provided the technology to free musicians from corporate music--I rashly predicted the death of the corporate music industry back in '86 when CD burners dropped below $500--but it hasn't happened yet.

Old 05-18-2017, 03:51 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Whites could go wherever they wanted in that climate. If a white musician wanted to sit in with a black group, he had that freedom. It wasn't as though musicians were that high on the social scale anyway. As I've already noted, the only real difference between blues and old-school country were the steel guitar and the base guitar.

And yet, black music is less innovative now than at any period in the 20th century. It's not that money isn't there, it's that the industry has programmed the output too closely. And as well, there are fewer "garage bands" than there used to be. Less room for a new Sylvester Stewart to make it to radio play.

The internet has certainly provided the technology to free musicians from corporate music--I rashly predicted the death of the corporate music industry back in '86 when CD burners dropped below $500--but it hasn't happened yet.
Of course "black music" (i disagree with the nomenclature somewhat, but i'll address that later) is less innovative nowadays, but then, ALL popular music is less innovative nowadays. Technology has substituted
the organic musical development that nurtured innovation in music when musicians sat around and bounced ideas around the studio with each other. Hell, you can create an album without instruments. Timbaland or Max Martin are glorified computer programmers moreso than musical producers. That's the long and short of it.

As to your "black music" nomenclature, i think you'd agree with me that music is more colorblind and genre defying than ever. There is no black music anymore in reality. Ariana Grande and Christina Aguilera can be branded as black music artists just as much as Rihanna is. The only genre anymore on Radio is Pop music. Even the top hip hop artists nowadays are pop artists. Future and Young Thug may be branded as hip hop or urban artists, but the music is glaringly pop. Drake is Pop. When you find Youtube videos of Taylor Swift rapping along with Kendrick Lamar's music in her car, you realize that the lines haven't just been blurred...they've been obliterated.

Personally, i don't think there's been a black music genre since the end of the 90's.

Old 05-18-2017, 09:21 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,906,907 times
Quote:
I wouldn't say so, unless you're joking.

But something that was country that I can't recall having been translated to black music (per se) were the old comedy song recordings, such as those by Ray Stevens. I'm not including recordings by stand-up comics who might have done some singing in their routines, but rather singer-songwriters who wrote and performed comedy songs among their straight songwriting and performances (Ray Stevens, for instance, had his greatest hit with the straight "Everything is Beautiful").
Rap is poetry set to a beat; not singing but, "talking".

Old 05-19-2017, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Rap is poetry set to a beat; not singing but, "talking".

So you agree with me that the country comedy songs have not been done in a black format.

Old 05-19-2017, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Of course "black music" (i disagree with the nomenclature somewhat, but i'll address that later) is less innovative nowadays, but then, ALL popular music is less innovative nowadays. Technology has substituted
the organic musical development that nurtured innovation in music when musicians sat around and bounced ideas around the studio with each other. Hell, you can create an album without instruments. Timbaland or Max Martin are glorified computer programmers moreso than musical producers. That's the long and short of it.

As to your "black music" nomenclature, i think you'd agree with me that music is more colorblind and genre defying than ever. There is no black music anymore in reality. Ariana Grande and Christina Aguilera can be branded as black music artists just as much as Rihanna is. The only genre anymore on Radio is Pop music. Even the top hip hop artists nowadays are pop artists. Future and Young Thug may be branded as hip hop or urban artists, but the music is glaringly pop. Drake is Pop. When you find Youtube videos of Taylor Swift rapping along with Kendrick Lamar's music in her car, you realize that the lines haven't just been blurred...they've been obliterated.

Personally, i don't think there's been a black music genre since the end of the 90's.
I don't disagree with you, but I'll quote this in a different thread for more discussion in concert with some other issues.

Old 05-19-2017, 05:45 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
Oh please, bluegrass comes from Scottish and Irish folk music, no African connection whatsoever.
Bluegrass, string music deeply rooted in African-American tradition | News & Observer

Quote:
The black influence on bluegrass originated in long-ago collaborations between string musicians in Southern communities. That occurred as open-eared players absorbed the most interesting music they heard, regardless of race, said CeCe Conway, an English professor at Appalachian State University who has studied Southern string music for decades.

[MOD CUT/copyright violation]
The History of African American Music - Dictionary definition of The History of African American Music | Encyclopedia.com: FREE online dictionary

Quote:
African American slaves on southern plantations cultivated their own musical styles, which later evolved into gospel, blues, and what is now known as bluegrass and country music. Slave fiddlers often provided dance music for the southern white gentry, and the sound we recognize today as country fiddling is partially the product of the slave fiddler. Most slaves were not allowed to own instruments or could not afford to purchase them. [MOD CUT/copyright violation]
Bluegrass Music: A History

Quote:
Bluegrass music is enjoyed by millions of fans across the nation, and even the world. Its origins are much more humble than that, and extend further into the past than most realize. Some sources state that the influences for bluegrass extend as far back as the immigrations of the 1600's - before our nation even existed as an independent country. The music of Irish, Scottish, and British settlers and colonists, and later, African American gospel and blues, all played key roles in the creation of the unique sound that is bluegrass music. In fact, the banjo is based on the design of an African instrument, probably brought to American musicians by African slaves (Roots 1). Other influences include jazz (Bluegrass 1) and rag-time (Bluegrass 5).

Last edited by Ibginnie; 05-19-2017 at 10:18 AM..

Old 05-19-2017, 05:46 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times
Quote:
If we're gonna go there:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDm_ZHyYTrg

Can you clarify? I'm not sure what the aim of your reply is. Sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies