Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2017, 09:49 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,826,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Both Bill Gates and Mark Cuban recently commented that in the coming age of artificial intelligence, the most useful degree will be one in the liberal arts. The idea is that those degrees produce well-rounded individuals capable of thinking and reasoning clearly. Many of the STEM things will be done by machines, but the ability to apply intuition and judgment and human experience will be a longer time coming.
I agree with this as well.

I've supervised/managed quite a few employees (over 100 in the past 10 years) and those who had a more liberal arts education were also the more resourceful. They could problem solve and they didn't need a lot of hand holding like many of the business majors who I supervised/managed. Many of them, I couldn't even believe they had graduated college lol.

I have an English degree with a concentration in Technical Writing. It has served me well in my career in supply chain. Along with the electives mentioned above, I also took a couple courses on financial accounting as electives because I felt it would be useful for me later on in life. The heavy emphasis on writing with my undergrad along with those financial courses are really the only things I use a lot in life. Those and in high school I took a business software class and learned Microsoft. So I am an "expert" level on Microsoft since I've been using it for 20 years. Many business majors and even people in IT/IS (STEM) don't know how to use various types of commonly used business software outside of downloading and uploading databases. As them to create a macro or make a pivot chart and they'll look at your like

Someone with a liberal arts education is more likely to think of a solution and seek out a source to find out how to do something (my advice is always - google is your friend so don't bother me lol).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2017, 09:52 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,562,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
50 minutes on liberal arts on an unequal society

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GU0nAfbQP7M

Lecture of Social Elite Reproduction

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzQp6B93PMo

Love how after the lecture on social elite reproduction, they have a lecture on socio-economic income inequality.

I just don't understand how $66,000 a year for classes like they is seen as a good investment.
Sounds like someone regrets never getting higher education.

Old 05-15-2017, 09:54 AM

4,178 posts, read 2,649,334 times
If people want to be in debt with student loans and wonder why they can't find jobs, it basically shows Darwinism in a nutshell.

Old 05-15-2017, 09:54 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,446,965 times
This is how they create SJW bullies (useful idiots). Any good Marxist or Communist revolution needs an endless supply of those to succeed.

Old 05-15-2017, 10:00 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,562,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
FYI For those who didn't go to college.....

There is a such thing as an "elective" class. Those classes are subjects that you may have a personal interest in that may not be related to your degree. College/university students are REQUIRED to take a certain amount of elective classes....

I took African History as an elective also a Humanities course that covered social movements and urban development Post WW2 because I had an interest in both. Neither of them were related to my major but served as the elective requirements for my graduation.
These people never got educated, remember? They have no idea how education works beyond high school, if they even graduated that.

Old 05-15-2017, 10:30 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymarkjiz View Post
If people want to be in debt with student loans and wonder why they can't find jobs, it basically shows Darwinism in a nutshell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
This is how they create SJW bullies (useful idiots). Any good Marxist or Communist revolution needs an endless supply of those to succeed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
These people never got educated, remember? They have no idea how education works beyond high school, if they even graduated that.
The two posts above you are perfect illustrations of that.

Old 05-16-2017, 11:01 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
Oh yeah? Where'd you attend college?

Old 05-16-2017, 11:04 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
So, explain why you support degrees and programs that consistently result in minority unemployment and student loan debt?
You say that like you think these courses aren't used to keep athletes passing or for kids to take as an elective when they have a full courseload of more demanding material.

Come on. Yes... some people do get degrees that don't point directly to a job.

But, at the end of the day, not everyone is going to be an engineer or a mathematician.

And, frankly, if everyone tried, we'd suddenly have too many STEM graduates and there'd be demand for artists, historians, and English teachers.

Old 05-16-2017, 11:08 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I agree with this as well.

I've supervised/managed quite a few employees (over 100 in the past 10 years) and those who had a more liberal arts education were also the more resourceful. They could problem solve and they didn't need a lot of hand holding like many of the business majors who I supervised/managed. Many of them, I couldn't even believe they had graduated college lol.

I have an English degree with a concentration in Technical Writing. It has served me well in my career in supply chain. Along with the electives mentioned above, I also took a couple courses on financial accounting as electives because I felt it would be useful for me later on in life. The heavy emphasis on writing with my undergrad along with those financial courses are really the only things I use a lot in life. Those and in high school I took a business software class and learned Microsoft. So I am an "expert" level on Microsoft since I've been using it for 20 years. Many business majors and even people in IT/IS (STEM) don't know how to use various types of commonly used business software outside of downloading and uploading databases. As them to create a macro or make a pivot chart and they'll look at your like

Someone with a liberal arts education is more likely to think of a solution and seek out a source to find out how to do something (my advice is always - google is your friend so don't bother me lol).
Me, too! Well, it's one of mine, along with a BA in Psychology.

Has served me well so far, and I'm working on a PhD here shortly, once my 2nd Masters is done.

Liberal education does indeed teach problem solving and reasoning skills. I think there's still room for technical disciplines, but we need to be sure that with STEM graduates, we're not ignoring communication skills, philosophy, sociology, and the like. It'll be awfully hard to be a good team member if you have zero social skills and cannot string together emails that people will actually read.

Old 05-16-2017, 11:13 AM

1,825 posts, read 1,421,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
When liberals talk about 'an education', this is what they mean. Silly things like business, accounting and nursing aren't necessary. In fact, those disciplines are elitist and ignorant, in their minds. Anything that actually contributes to society is useless in their unicorn world, and anything like underwater basket weaving is useful, even more so, if paid for by others!
Funny. I am in Chicago, and most of the people I know are liberal and vote democrat, and work in business, accounting, and nursing. I know far fewer people who studied liberal arts.

Yes, because liberals don't study business, accounting or nursing.....SMH.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies