Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you support California being it's own independent nation?
NO 77 41.62%
YES 108 58.38%
Voters: 185. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 11:58 PM

290 posts, read 570,162 times

Advertisements

Would you support California being it's own country? Why or why not?
The nation of California would be the US state of California and the Mexican states of Baja California and Baja California Sur.
That way we would have access to the Gulf of California and all its riches. What I want to know is how many people support the California Republic and how many people support staying in the Union. So with that being said, VOTE NOW!!!!

Last edited by Ibginnie; 05-24-2017 at 09:07 PM.. Reason: we don't support/publicize pages for petitions

Old 10-11-2009, 12:26 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,264,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goonzy View Post

Would you support California being it's own country? Why or why not?
The nation of California would be the US state of California and the Mexican states of Baja California and Baja California Sur.
That way we would have access to the Gulf of California and all its riches. What I want to know is how many people support the California Republic and how many people support staying in the Union. So with that being said, VOTE NOW!!!!
I didn't vote because with all the recent seismic activity it seems to me that the big break off is due soon. Become an island nation.

Old 10-11-2009, 12:38 AM

1,020 posts, read 2,754,743 times
You know, I used to joke with my dad about how California should break off from the Union, reform the Bear Flag Republic, and be it's own country along with a few of the other Western states. But, in truth? No. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense, really. California's diversity already gives it fits as a state, it would be even worse as a nation (and don't give me this crap about the rest of the country being better off without California...trust me, you wouldn't be, California is the most productive economy in the country).

Ironically though, Russia has already offered to recognize California as an independent nation, should we request it.

Edit, just for posterity, California's first proclamation of independence:
Quote:
To all persons, citizens of Sonoma, requesting them to remain at peace, and to follow their rightful occupations without fear of molestation.

The Commander in Chief of the Troops assembled at the Fortress of Sonoma gives his inviolable pledge to all persons in California not found under arms that they shall not be disturbed in their persons, their property or social relations one to another by men under his command.

He also solemnly declares his object to be First, to defend himself and companions in arms who were invited to this country by a promise of Lands on which to settle themselves and families who were also promised a "republican government," who, when having arrived in California were denied even the privilege of buying or renting Lands of their friends, who instead of being allowed to participate in or being protected by a "Republican Government" were oppressed by a "Military Despotism," who were even threatened, by "Proclamation" from the Chief Officer of the aforesaid Despotism, with extermination if they would not depart our of the Country, leaving all of their property, their arms and beasts of burden, and thus deprived of the means of flight or defense. We were to be driven through deserts, inhabited by hostile Indians to certain destruction. To overthrow a Government which has seized upon the property of the Missions for its individual aggrandizement; which has ruined and shamefully oppressed the laboring people of California, by their enormous exactions on goods imported into this country; is the determined purpose of the brave men who are associated under his command.

He also solemnly declares his object in the Second place to be to invite all peaceable and good Citizens of California who are friendly to the maintenance of good order and equal rights (and I do hereby invite them to repair to my camp at Sonoma without delay) to assist us in establishing and perpetuating a "Republican Government" which shall secure to all: civil and religious liberty; which shall detect and punish crime; which shall encourage industry, virtue and literature; which shall leave unshackled by Fetters, Commerce, Agriculture, and Mechanism.

He further declares that he relies upon the rectitude of our intentions; the favor of Heaven and the bravery of those who are bound to and associated with him, by the principle of self preservation; by the love of truth; and by the hatred of tyranny for his hopes of success.

He further declares that he believes that a Government to be prosperous and happyfying in its tendency must originate with its people who are friendly to its existence. That its Citizens are its Guardians, its officers are its Servants, and its Glory their reward.
– William B. Ide, Head Quarters Sonoma, June 15, 1846

Last edited by Widowmaker2k; 10-11-2009 at 12:49 AM..

Old 10-11-2009, 12:40 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,423,187 times
Why is it so important to some people? Who cares? Wont happen anyways. I didn't bother to vote, because of its absurdity.

Unless they care to give it and Texas, back to the Mexicans (just as absurd, but still a thought imho)...

Old 10-11-2009, 12:48 AM

13,778 posts, read 9,661,538 times
I'd vote for California to be it's own country but only if they promised to secure the border and keep illegal californians from entering america.

Old 10-11-2009, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
I'd vote for California to be it's own country but only if they promised to secure the border and keep illegal californians from entering america.
Good one!!

Old 10-11-2009, 12:53 AM

689 posts, read 742,954 times
Maybe we could sell/lease it to China and pay off our debt. Then they can set up their businesses there, avoid all that shipping and employ Americans.

Old 10-11-2009, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDTD2.0 View Post
Maybe we could sell/lease it to China and pay off our debt. Then they can set up their businesses there, avoid all that shipping and employ Americans.
Another great idea. I honestly like it.

Old 10-11-2009, 01:43 AM

2,250 posts, read 1,395,792 times
As a Californian unfortunately, I say No, California does not need to be its own country, the politics here are horrible and the budget is wrecked the state is broke, make it a country, and the U.S.A would just be sending money to the new country, horrible idea, I'd rather see Texas become 4 states [East,West,North and South], the Dakotas become one as well as the Virginias and Carolinas.

Old 10-11-2009, 02:01 AM

841 posts, read 2,260,955 times
Yes. Please..... No-more-dead-weight
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies