Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2017, 07:23 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,660,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I was talking about things like rent or mortgage, cars, savings, etc. Being able to pay for those things without going broke is a luxury any more when it shouldn't be.
Teachers, as an example, that aren't living in expensive areas can.

Old 05-16-2017, 07:25 AM

28,163 posts, read 25,344,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NxtGen View Post
I took the time to call BS on the OPs post.

You see, I refuse to believe that the OP is that stupid, that they can't seem to find out the general position of most conservatives when it is pasted all over the Internet or can be understood by asking an honest question to one. Instead, they have this mental breakthrough that just happens to be a complete false narrative on conservatives?

So again, I pointed out that the OP was trolling with an obvious straw man on a general conservative position.

So you can cut out the victim posting nonsense, nobody is buying that crap.
Another post without clarifying exactly why the OP was wrong in his estimation of conservatives...

Oh and dear? The only one playing the victim here is YOU.

Old 05-16-2017, 07:28 AM

18,471 posts, read 7,112,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
I think this is sort of BS. Well not all BS. You are right. The thing that bugs me is that liberals are not trying to impede anyone's tradition that they should feel free to enjoy for themselves. Conservatives want to force us to live by THEIR traditions, particularly religious traditions. Somehow their freedom to enforce their religious beliefs is more important than our freedom to abstain. It's hypocritical bologna. Christ (good person though probably not historically accurate) said don't fvck with the splinter in someone else' eye when you have a 2x4 in yours.
You (like most on the left) are conflating social conservatism with fiscal conservatism.

Many who think of themselves as Conservatives are not necessarily socially conservative.

But Liberals have to play that game in order to have someone to demonize.

Old 05-16-2017, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
You (like most on the left) are conflating social conservatism with fiscal conservatism.

Many who think of themselves as Conservatives are not necessarily socially conservative.

Don't you play that same game when you say liberals want to boss everyone around and are too lazy to work?

Old 05-16-2017, 07:33 AM

37,963 posts, read 17,908,356 times
Quote:

That's true. The self identify thing came out a long time ago with the neocons. Since when does a conservative vote to raise the budget?

Old 05-16-2017, 07:35 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,660,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
That's true. The self identify thing came out a long time ago with the neocons. Since when does a conservative vote to raise the budget?
Let's not lose sight that in a properly run government, there are times when budgets should be increased.

Old 05-16-2017, 07:43 AM

Quote:
As do liberals. But we have a different view of what constitutes a healthy environment for which labor results in success.
A Conservative's idea of providing that environment: (to government) "get out of my way"

A Liberal's idea: (to both government and everyone else) " do it for me because I can't/won't do it myself".

Old 05-16-2017, 07:47 AM

Quote:
A Conservative's idea of providing that environment: (to government) "get out of my way"

A Liberal's idea to both government and everyone else) " do it for me because I can't/won't do it myself".
That's simply not true.

Liberals idea of government (which is made up of everyone who is a representative, citizen and/or voter) is that we identify those things that are barring people from working to their best ability and come together to fix it.

Example A: American students lag behind their international counterparts in math and science. Since students truly are the future of this country and will define the health of it, we must come together to fix it.

Example B: Americans pay more in health care costs than many other countries, which takes away from discretionary spending that helps the economy. We come together to see how we can fix this issue so people get the healthcare they need without going broke and which helps the economy in the long run.

As far as the conservative idea of getting out of the way, I liken it to stepping out of the way when a person is running headlong into a train going 80 MPH. The person being the working class and the train being an unfettered free market. Yeah, the train doesn't get bound up with having to hit the brakes but then the person gets smashed under its wheels.

Old 05-16-2017, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Don't you play that same game when you say liberals want to boss everyone around and are too lazy to work?
Not really no.

1. I've never met a Liberal who doesn't want to impose their views on society through the force of government.

2. I never said all Liberals were lazy. (They just believe in coddling the lazy for votes).

Old 05-16-2017, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Not really no.

1. I've never met a Liberal who doesn't want to impose their views on society through the force of government.

2. I never said all Liberals were lazy. (They just believe in coddling the lazy for votes).
1. While I know you will say "not true conservatives" or "not all conservatives" you must admit that the current iteration of the Republican Party wants to impose their views on society through force of government.
2. If what you say is true, why are so many red voters poor?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies