Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2017, 02:37 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,241,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by okcthunder1945 View Post
Ok? Did Trump not campaign on trade deals? I live in Texas and OK, NAFTA was good to me.

It's a shame TPP was dead since China will just make a deal with those countries. Us backing out of the TPP only makes us weaker in the long term.
You can consider it a shame all you want but it's not Trump's fault it's dead. It died because no one supported it because the country does not support it.

Trade deals like TPP are only good for Wall Street.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2017, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by okcthunder1945 View Post
Gurl...... coal killed itself as employment peaked under the Bush Jr administration.

Nope. The problem is the deplorables aren't smart, but emotional. Once their medicaid, medicare, and other benefits are slashed they'll get emotional again and do something stupid. It's just history dude, that pendulum swings back and forth...... those deplorables better produce some results sooner than later or they'll be marginalized even further.
It's absolutely amazing that the lesson of how you can't call people names and get them to see your side of things has been completely dismissed.

Old 05-17-2017, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstarling View Post
Hillary Clinton would not have taken away your healthcare to give a massive tax cut to the ultra rich.
She would not have threatened Medicare or Social Security.
I don't know how jobs can ever come back to some rural areas, trade deals or not.
Sanders would have beat Trump. That Trump is president is the fault of the (D)'s for making a really stupid decision.

Old 05-17-2017, 04:52 AM

34,068 posts, read 17,096,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
It's absolutely amazing that the lesson of how you can't call people names and get them to see your side of things has been completely dismissed.
amen.

Also amazed Dems cannot count to 270. Acela Belt and radical West Coast < 270, every single election.

They need the Rust Belt. The inverse is not true.

Old 05-17-2017, 05:05 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,035,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
Ok so first it was hate everyone in the Midwest. But now it's changed to feel sorry for them? And they voted against Hillary because of pizzagate? I'm sure that would be news to most of them. And TPP was the worst trade deal the modern world has ever seen.

I'm not a republican and neither are most of the people who voted for trump. You guys are so far detached from reality it's amazing. Move on. Put your party back together while it still exists.
I missed the 'hate the Midwest' movement. Sure it was a thing?

Old 05-17-2017, 05:07 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,035,206 times
Right now nobody is winning.

Old 05-17-2017, 05:14 AM

8,312 posts, read 3,933,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
Ok so first it was hate everyone in the Midwest. But now it's changed to feel sorry for them? And they voted against Hillary because of pizzagate? I'm sure that would be news to most of them. And TPP was the worst trade deal the modern world has ever seen.

I'm not a republican and neither are most of the people who voted for trump. You guys are so far detached from reality it's amazing. Move on. Put your party back together while it still exists.
Nice straw-man argument, but I don't think anyone is buying it. You would struggle to find anyone that "hated" people in the Midwest for voting Trump, that's just your fantasy - it makes a nice spinning sound though. The rust belt voters were driven by hope for change for the most part. The only real criticism you can make is that they were naive if they really, truly believed that Trump was on their side and that he would somehow miraculously revive the dying industries of the Midwest. Plus, no one in their wildest nightmare ever imagined that Trump would be blundering down the paths he has chosen, or that his ranting, and Twittering on the campaign trail would continue once he became President. Don't blame them at all most people hope for the same things when they vote for a President.

Old 05-17-2017, 08:39 AM

417 posts, read 345,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstarling View Post
Hillary Clinton would not have taken away your healthcare to give a massive tax cut to the ultra rich.
She would not have threatened Medicare or Social Security.
I don't know how jobs can ever come back to some rural areas, trade deals or not.
With all due respect, Clinton would have kept Obamacare which hurt the Midwest and rural areas especially.
In a rural area we are lucky to have one regional hospital 50 miles away. When Obamacare was implemented most people's premiums skyrocketed, so now under Obamacare it's not only really expensive to go see the doctor. Most of the time people who live 50+ miles from a doctor can't even meet their deductible because they can only take time off to go see a doctor once a year.

A huge problem with rural healthcare is lack of hospitals and clinics, lack of doctors, lack of hospice and elder care, hospitals are underfunded and under staffed. Hillary and Trump both don't care about that though.

I have a couple of ideas about how jobs can come back to rural areas 1. More focus on Wind energy 2. Diversifying agriculture with subsidizes 3. Tax incentives for manufacturing already in the area.

Old 05-17-2017, 08:43 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,717,676 times
Hillary wouldn't have been any better. No politician looks out for and can relate to poor people.

Old 05-17-2017, 08:44 AM

39,081 posts, read 51,259,863 times
Both Clinton and Trump opposed TPP in reaction to strong public sentiment against it. TPP was a very good deal for America. It is a shame that the politicians only listen to the voters when the voters have positions based on ignorance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies