Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2017, 05:04 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,370,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
I am just an individual - one person with one opinion. I never hated people in the midwest. In fact, I like the people in the midwest, a lot. I realize that people vote for many different reasons and some voted because they really believed that Trump would bring back jobs. Yes, I have empathy for these folks. They were conned. Do I wish they would have realized that Trump was a con-man? Yes. But I don't hate them for voting their choice.
Here is where your disconnect is---most of the people in the Midwest were not conned. They didn't expect anything different with trump. Their vote was just a big **** YOU to the left, the media, etc. and it wasn't just the Midwest where that happened. It may not be on purpose, maybe you actually believe that grown ass adults who have been through presidencies from both sides would ever believe anything a political candidate says, but you insult huge groups of people when you assume they were conned.

Very, very few people who voted for trump believed he would do much differently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2017, 05:09 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,786,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
Here is where your disconnect is---most of the people in the Midwest were not conned. They didn't expect anything different with trump. Their vote was just a big **** YOU to the left, the media, etc. and it wasn't just the Midwest where that happened. It may not be on purpose, maybe you actually believe that grown ass adults who have been through presidencies from both sides would ever believe anything a political candidate says, but you insult huge groups of people when you assume they were conned.

Very, very few people who voted for trump believed he would do much differently.
This is exactly what I'm talking about. Not enough people take stock in actual policy issues anymore. If the "D" was removed from Bernie Sanders name, I'm sure more people would have voted for him. Instead, people who stand to benefit from his policies dismissed him because he was a "commie leftist."

Old 05-16-2017, 05:13 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,370,223 times
Even though the people we are talking about can't relate to Bernie any more than trump, they probably would have elected Bernie. But Hillary and the agenda were in the way.

Old 05-16-2017, 05:18 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,490,585 times
Quote:
most of the people in the Midwest were not conned. They didn't expect anything different with trump. Their vote was just a big **** YOU to the left, the media, etc.
Re-read my post. I was specifically talking about the people in the midwest that voted for Trump because they thought he would bring back jobs. I wasn't talking about the voters that voted for other reasons.

Old 05-16-2017, 05:27 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,912,422 times
Quote:

I know a lot of people in the Midwest, and of the ones that voted for Trump (a surprising amount), many voted for him precisely because they thought (foolishly, sadly) that he would bring jobs back to their region.

Old 05-16-2017, 05:29 PM

12,390 posts, read 7,098,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
Trans-Pacific Partnership: Withdrawing from the TPP was a huge blow the U.S. agriculture industry, squandering an opportunity for a $62 billion market for U.S. farmers. The American Soybean Association, National Cattlemen's Beef Association, and the American Farm Bureau strongly condemned the move that left farmers dismayed with Trump.

Struggling U.S. farm sector faces new threat as TPP dies | Reuters

Trump’s pull-out of TPP deal prompts criticism, anger from ag industry | Investigate Midwest

Opioid Crisis: Jeff Sessions promise to "charge and pursue the most serious, readily provable offense" on "low-level" drug charges left politicians from middle-America angry. Rand Paul responded: "We should treat our nation's drug epidemic as a health crisis and less as a 'lock 'em up and throw away the key' problem." The Trump administrations police-state approach to drug offenses is a return to the failed policies of the last 30 years that left families destroyed and prisons over-flowing.

Appalachia's approach to drugs at odds with Sessions policy

Health Care: Rural areas, especially those will a high percentage of elderly, will bear the brunt of the ACA repeal. Costs have risen under the ACA, but elimination of subsidies will make health insurance completely unaffordable for many.

Trump voters would be among the biggest losers in Republicans' Obamacare replacement plan - LA Times

Its unfortunate that so many rural voters rely purely on fringe identity issues to cast their ballots. In 2016, belief that Hillary was running a sex-trafficking ring out of pizza parlor was as much of a deciding issue as health care. How many times have we heard from these people that Obama is a "Muslim-communist" and refugees will institute Sharia-law. The more our country embraces the "alt-right," the more we devolve into pure idiocy.

Feel free to add to the list.
Sorry, but getting out of the TPP, and being tough on crime is what the voters put Trump in office for.

Another thread fail.

Old 05-16-2017, 05:43 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
In part TPP is why Trump is president. Hillary had to even pretend she didn't support it. She isn't a very good liar.

Old 05-16-2017, 05:49 PM

1,805 posts, read 2,367,774 times
Quote:
Seems the midwest and the rural areas will be hardest hit by Trump's bad decisions. I feel sorry for some of them. They got conned and they really thought that Trump cared about them and thought he would help them. .
No, no, and no. They were not "conned". Rural whites let racism and hatred drive them to vote for Trump.

Quite frankly, their frowns make me smile.

Old 05-16-2017, 05:51 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,906,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
This is exactly what I'm talking about. Not enough people take stock in actual policy issues anymore. If the "D" was removed from Bernie Sanders name, I'm sure more people would have voted for him. Instead, people who stand to benefit from his policies dismissed him because he was a "commie leftist."
THAT you need to blame the Dems for Sanders losing to Hillary in the primary. I'm a Repub and, had Sanders won the nomination, it'd be a real coin toss who I'd pick in 2016. Too; a LOT of other Trump voters also liked Sanders.

Old 05-16-2017, 06:00 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,748,387 times
Quote:

If TrumpCare passes and people can't get health insurance due to pre-existing conditions, they'll be hurt again.
People couldn't get healthcare for pre-existing conditions when the Un-Affordable Care Act was enacted long before Trump was president.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies