Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2018, 01:11 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,375,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbernard View Post
It was more than just a few facebook ads. All we heard last year was constant lies about hillary being a criminal, killing people, lock her up, etc.
None of that comes from Russia. It's Vince Foster and other supposedly suspicious deaths (I'm not saying she was involved, but it's an opinion that's been out there for a long time) plus the very real mishandling of government e-mails which she doesn't deny plus all the apparent corruption of the Clinton Foundation. None of that comes from the Russians, and the last two, at least, aren't speculation. They're 100% real.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2018, 01:29 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,912,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
Except no one will ever explain what this fake news was. And your link doesn't even pretend that there were any Russian bots. It talks about bots and says that "many" were "likely from Russia". Just wishful thinking, apparently. And like everything else, it's deliberately decontextualized. How many bots were pumping out pro-Hillary messages? Who was behind them? Your claim is meaningless without that context.

Anyway, fake news from the Russians is no worse -- and it's obviously FAR less effective -- than fake news from the New York Times etc.

The contention that Russian interference is worse than internal interference is obnoxiously stupid.
There are a multitude of examples of the fake news stories in the various links in that thread.

Just read through these for examples of content shared by troll-farm bots:

Alt-right Twitter darling Jenna Abrams turns out to be Russian bot
Jenna Abrams: the Trump-loving Twitter star who never really existed
How Russian bots appear in your timeline

Other interesting information:
Trolling for Trump: How Russia Is Trying to Destroy Our Democracy
Quote:
We have been tracking Russian online information operations since 2014, when our interest was piqued by strange activity we observed studying online dimensions of jihadism and the Syrian civil war. When experts published content criticizing the Russian-supported Bashar al Assad regime, organized hordes of trolls would appear to attack the authors on Twitter and Facebook. Examining the troll social networks revealed dozens of accounts presenting themselves as attractive young women eager to talk politics with Americans, including some working in the national security sector. These “honeypot” social media accounts were linked to other accounts used by the Syrian Electronic Army hacker operation. All three elements were working together: the trolls to sow doubt, the honeypots to win trust, and the hackers (we believe) to exploit clicks on dubious links sent out by the first two.
This site tracks Russian Troll-farm-run bot accounts: Hamilton 68: Tracking Putin's Propaganda Push... To America

Other articles from the same folks:
Extremist Content and Russian Disinformation Online: Working with Tech to Find Solutions

Insinuation and Influence: How the Kremlin Targets Americans Online

Misinformation and polarizing content seemed to target swing states, according to research by Oxford University researchers: Social Media, News and Political Information during the US Election: Was Polarizing Content Concentrated in Swing States?
http://comprop.oii.ox.ac.uk/wp-conte...ing-States.pdf

Abstract (much more about their conclusions and methodologies at the link):
Quote:
US voters shared large volumes of polarizing political news and information in the form of links to content from Russian, WikiLeaks and junk news sources. Was this low quality political information distributed evenly around the country, or concentrated in swing states and particular parts of the country?
Quote:
In this data memo we apply a tested dictionary of sources about political news and information being shared over Twitter over a ten day period around the 2016 Presidential Election. Using self-reported location information, we place a third of users by state and create a simple index for the distribution of polarizing content around the country. We find that (1) nationally, Twitter users got more misinformation, polarizing and conspiratorial content than professionally produced news. (2) Users in some states, however, shared more polarizing political news and information than users in other states. (3) Average levels of misinformation were higher in swing states than in uncontested states, even when weighted for the relative size of the user population in each state.

Old 01-03-2018, 01:30 PM

14,489 posts, read 6,100,100 times
Quote:
It was more than just a few facebook ads. All we heard last year was constant lies about hillary being a criminal, killing people, lock her up, etc.

Funny how she was a shoe in to win....and at the last minute, Comey came out with that nonsensical "we're investigating more" (only to say there was nothing there after it was too late).

A year of constant attacks based on lies and "fake news" played into the minds of many voters. So much so, that many just stayed home and didn't bother voting.

Was it due to Russia's involvement? Who knows....but as an american, don't you want to know how much the influence worked and want to avoid Russia influencing us again? I mean, all of security agencies even say there was Russian attempts at social engineering. If you don't social media, and the constant barrage of fake news doesn't play into the mindsets of voters....then you're not paying attention. Even know, with easy facts at our finger tips, many still choose to believe in what isn't true. The C-D forums is a prime example.

Wait Hillary's bad reputation is because of Russia?

Now I've heard it all

Old 01-03-2018, 01:31 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,174,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
Libs here are flat out saying the Russians "stole" the election from Hillary
This is the second time you’ve bumped a thread about Hillary for no apparent reason.

Seriously, get help.

Old 01-03-2018, 01:33 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,912,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
Except no one will ever explain what this fake news was. And your link doesn't even pretend that there were any Russian bots. It talks about bots and says that "many" were "likely from Russia". Just wishful thinking, apparently. And like everything else, it's deliberately decontextualized. How many bots were pumping out pro-Hillary messages in this election? Who was behind them? And how many bots were there in 2016? How many from Russia? Whom did they support?

Your claim is meaningless without that context.

Anyway, fake news from the Russians is no worse -- and it's obviously FAR less effective -- than fake news from the New York Times etc.

The contention that Russian interference is worse than internal interference is obnoxiously stupid.
Two wrongs have never made a right.

Other sources of disinformation should also be looked into, of course - but we are discussing Russia's methods currently.

I have shared information with you that answers many of your questions about context. One group has been looking into Russian-backed troll farm bots since 2014. Trolling for Trump: How Russia Is Trying to Destroy Our Democracy

An excerpt:
Quote:
Russia’s desire to sow distrust in the American system of government is not new. It’s a goal Moscow has pursued since the beginning of the Cold War. Its strategy is not new, either. Soviet-era “active measures” called for using the “force of politics” rather than the “politics of force” to erode American democracy from within. What is new is the methods Russia uses to achieve these objectives.

We have been tracking Russian online information operations since 2014, when our interest was piqued by strange activity we observed studying online dimensions of jihadism and the Syrian civil war.

Old 01-03-2018, 01:34 PM

11,558 posts, read 12,055,996 times
Quote:

Funny how she was a shoe in to win....and at the last minute, Comey came out with that nonsensical "we're investigating more" (only to say there was nothing there after it was too late).

A year of constant attacks based on lies and "fake news" played into the minds of many voters. So much so, that many just stayed home and didn't bother voting.

Was it due to Russia's involvement? Who knows....but as an american, don't you want to know how much the influence worked and want to avoid Russia influencing us again? I mean, all of security agencies even say there was Russian attempts at social engineering. If you don't social media, and the constant barrage of fake news doesn't play into the mindsets of voters....then you're not paying attention. Even know, with easy facts at our finger tips, many still choose to believe in what isn't true. The C-D forums is a prime example.
And ain't it amazing that President Trump won even with all of the lies and constant bashing by the liberal-biased media? My oh my.

Old 01-03-2018, 01:38 PM

693 posts, read 357,257 times
Quote:
Wait Hillary's bad reputation is because of Russia?

Now I've heard it all

Kudos for taking the entire post out of context. My post was in response to whether or not Hillary lost due to just a few facebook ads. I said it was more than just a few facebook ads.
I even added at the end, "who knows" if her loss was due to russian involvement. However, we know there was involvement....as americans, don't we want to know what that involvement was, or how much it influenced voters?

Old 01-03-2018, 01:44 PM

14,489 posts, read 6,100,100 times
Quote:
Kudos for taking the entire post out of context. My post was in response to whether or not Hillary lost due to just a few facebook ads. I said it was more than just a few facebook ads.
I even added at the end, "who knows" if her loss was due to russian involvement. However, we know there was involvement....as americans, don't we want to know what that involvement was, or how much it influenced voters?

What more was there?

Hillary had the entire mainstream media in her pocket and a billion dollar campaign

Please explain what could compete with that?

Old 01-03-2018, 01:49 PM

693 posts, read 357,257 times
Quote:
What more was there?

Hillary had the entire mainstream media in her pocket and a billion dollar campaign

Please explain what could compete with that?

Don't underestimate the power of hot button topics intended on dividing us. Russian influence via social media is a fact.

Again, I can't say it determined the election results....but don't you think we should investigate whether or not it did....or better yet, how we move forward to combat the foreign influence?
Or do we just sit back and ignore it, and just allow a foreign entity to continue to influence us?

I find it a bit disturbing that so many people don't even care enough to find out how deep this influence goes.

Old 01-03-2018, 01:59 PM

21,430 posts, read 7,459,324 times
Quote:
... My post was in response to whether or not Hillary lost due to just a few facebook ads. I said it was more than just a few facebook ads.
I agree.

We want to know.

The big issue is that there was interference in our election process. It would be a crime no matter if there was collusion with Americans or not. It would be a crime whether Trump won or Trump lost.

It's a crime against our republic, a crime against our sovereignty. Anyone who believes in our United States, anyone who wants America to be a great nation, wants this assault on our sovereignty dealt with swiftly.

If there was cooperation between American citizens (with any possible motivation) and the Russian hackers in this escapade, we should bring them to justice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies