Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2017, 12:46 AM

1,873 posts, read 2,408,343 times

Advertisements

Lifelong conservative who voted for Hillary (first time I've ever voted for the Democrats Presidential candidate), I just could not vote for Trump with all his obvious too good to be true claims with no underlying substance. And I'm loath to jump to conclusions, but if Trump does fall, I assume Pence becomes President. I have my issues with Pence believe me, but between Trump, Hillary and Pence? The White House admin would be cleaned up quickly, some keepers, some definitely not. Pence and the Republicans can try their ideas (beats gridlock IMO), if they can cooperate with themselves - evidently not a given with the rebranded Tea Party. And Pence wouldn't be an embarrassing controversy machine like Trump so far.

Whatever happens the USA will go on despite the doomsayers on the left.

I read all the blather from both sides railing against politicians, parties, etc. but it says a lot about us that we elected Trump...

Last edited by Midpack; 05-18-2017 at 12:54 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2017, 12:48 AM

15,713 posts, read 9,531,203 times
No one wins with an impeachment. It may have to come to that, but no one wins.

Old 05-18-2017, 01:01 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,854,052 times
we have to be careful what we ask for as we may just get it. we voted for trump to "drain the swamp" of washington. the problem is that the insiders are fighting back as hard as they can to keep their cushy and lucrative jobs.

i dont think anyone anticipated this level of effort by both sides in this issue. this issue is extremely divisive for the country, and one side blames trump, the trump supporters blame the insiders and the media. the media has already proven themselves to be largely in the pockets of the democrats, and we know the democrats are pushing hard to get rid of trump in what ever manner they can.

i think however the real problem is the republicans themselves. trump is doing what he was sent to washington to do, but the republicans in congress are not stepping up and supporting him in this effort. but then republicans in congress have always had issues leading. if the republicans would step up and lead, most of the garbage we see happening today would go away.

if the media in this country would become independent again, and do their jobs as neutrally as possible, this again would have the effect of mos of the garbage going away.

Old 05-18-2017, 01:02 AM

11,122 posts, read 5,595,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Lifelong conservative who voted for Hillary (first time I've ever voted for the Democrats Presidential candidate), I just could not vote for Trump with all his to good to be true claims with no underlying substance. And I'm loath to jump to conclusions, but if Trump does fall, I assume Pence becomes President. I have my issues with Pence believe me, but between Trump, Hillary and Pence? The White House admin would be cleaned up quickly, some keepers, some definitely not. Pence and the Republicans can try their ideas, if they can cooperate with themselves not a given. And Pence wouldn't be an embarrassing controversy machine like Trump so far.

It says a lot about us that we elected Trump...
I'm thinking nowadays that the Trumpists actually may have given us a break, in the long run. Their idol has paralyzed the Republican Majority in Congress, to the extent that they are unable to carry out any of the bad things they had planned. If a respectable and sane republican president had that congressional majority, we would probably have suffered greatly.

He's caused so much bad kickback against the Republican Party, that those in congress are running scared about what might happen in 18 months, in the midterm elections. Even if Trump is tossed out, his successor won't likely be able to pull things back into shape that soon. Trump has literally snatched defeat from the jaws of victory. Maybe I was right a year ago, that Trump was actually a secret agent for the Democrats and his agenda was to trash the Republicans?

Old 05-18-2017, 01:03 AM

15,713 posts, read 9,531,203 times
Tell me again how Trump is draining the swamp? Did it happen before or after he made a guy under investigation the head of the NSA?

Old 05-18-2017, 01:22 AM

3,615 posts, read 2,332,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack;48195699[B
]Lifelong conservative who voted for Hillary[/b] (first time I've ever voted for the Democrats Presidential candidate), I just could not vote for Trump with all his obvious too good to be true claims with no underlying substance. And I'm loath to jump to conclusions, but if Trump does fall, I assume Pence becomes President. I have my issues with Pence believe me, but between Trump, Hillary and Pence? The White House admin would be cleaned up quickly, some keepers, some definitely not. Pence and the Republicans can try their ideas (beats gridlock IMO), if they can cooperate with themselves - evidently not a given with the rebranded Tea Party. And Pence wouldn't be an embarrassing controversy machine like Trump so far.

I read all the blather from both sides railing against politicians, parties, etc. but it says a lot about us that we elected Trump...

Lifelong conservative who voted for hillary?

Ok.

You dont care about a massive demographic change and huge consequences for americas future with enormous illegal immigration and legal immigration , the destruction of the middle class, middle-class incomes have been stagnant for at least a generation, while the wealthiest tier has surged ahead at lighting speed

Outsourcing of jobs and the last republican "conservative" president George W. Bush increased government spending more than any of the six presidents preceding him, including LBJ, a trillion dollar invasion of iraq that has inflamed sunni/shiite tensions, more illegal immigration under W. bush than even under Obama

So what are you conserving?

Dems seem to love the idea of a President Pence, I wonder why?

"The government will remain open until September thanks to a $1 trillion spending bill that cuts nothing. Planned Parenthood and Obamacare programs are funded. The border wall really isn’t mentioned either. No wonder why this is being hailed as a Democratic win. It just proves that Democrats still have a lot of pull up on the Hill

RUSH: If this is what happens, Mr. Vice President, why vote Republican? What is the point of voting Republican if the Democrats are gonna continue to win practically 95% of their objectives, such as in this last budget deal?

THE VICE PRESIDENT: Well, look, respectfully, Rush, I actually think this was, as the president said a little a while ago, I think this was actually a clear win for the American people. Look, you’ve had Washington, D.C., that has been, you know, paralyzed by gridlock and partisan infighting for many years, and in this new president you have someone who was able to bring people together and make a $21 billion increase in defense spending at a time of great challenge for America’s interests around the world. And that’s a — you know, he spoke about that today, surrounded by a lot of great members of the United States Air Force. And it was also a piece for years, Democrats in Washington insisted that any increase in defense spending would be matched with an increase in domestic spending.

So you gotta grow government at home if you’re gonna, you know, invest in our national defense. This ended that. I mean, in a very real sense this was a game-changer because we’re just back to putting the safety, security, and the national defense of the American people first, and I think it sends, having just traveled around the Asian-Pacific representing the president over the last couple of weeks, I think this sends a decisive message to the world that under President Trump’s leadership we’re gonna make the strongest military in history even stronger.

RUSH: If I’m the Democrats, $21 billion, 15 billion for defense that was not originally authorized, that’s a small price to pay for continuing to fund refugee resettlement, continuing to fund Planned Parenthood, continuing to fund sanctuary cities, continuing to fund the EPA, and not build the wall. The Democrats clearly think this is a big win, and they’re confident they can block Trump’s agenda after this spending bill for the rest of Trump’s term. There isn’t anything of the president’s agenda in this budget, and people are beginning to ask, when’s that gonna happen? If you’re gonna shut it down in September, why not now?

THE VICE PRESIDENT: Yeah.

RUSH: If you complain about 60 votes today, why not go budget reconciliation for 51 votes and smoke ’em?

THE VICE PRESIDENT: Rush, Rush —

RUSH: Yes.

THE VICE PRESIDENT: Rush, let me be real clear. The number one priority of President Trump is to rebuild our military, to restore the arsenal of democracy. And I gotta tell you, to get Democrats in Washington, D.C., to agree to a $21 billion increase in a short-term budget bill "

Last edited by floridanative10; 05-18-2017 at 01:31 AM..

Old 05-18-2017, 01:28 AM

38,644 posts, read 26,389,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Lifelong conservative who voted for Hillary (first time I've ever voted for the Democrats Presidential candidate), I just could not vote for Trump with all his obvious too good to be true claims with no underlying substance. And I'm loath to jump to conclusions, but if Trump does fall, I assume Pence becomes President. I have my issues with Pence believe me, but between Trump, Hillary and Pence? The White House admin would be cleaned up quickly, some keepers, some definitely not. Pence and the Republicans can try their ideas (beats gridlock IMO), if they can cooperate with themselves - evidently not a given with the rebranded Tea Party. And Pence wouldn't be an embarrassing controversy machine like Trump so far.

Blah, blah, blah...

If Trump did anything, you would already know about it.

Nothing will come of this and Trump will be reelected in 2020.

https://pjmedia.com/rogerlsimon/2017...inglepage=true

Old 05-18-2017, 03:24 AM

51,654 posts, read 25,836,151 times
Republicans have a president who will literally sign anything, yet they can't get it together to send any of their major reform bills his way.

House's health care bill is so craven that the Senate is starting over.

Tax cuts for the rich? When is that coming?

Balanced budget?

Republicans are showing what they'll stand for. It's all good.

Old 05-18-2017, 03:54 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
I'm thinking nowadays that the Trumpists actually may have given us a break, in the long run. Their idol has paralyzed the Republican Majority in Congress, to the extent that they are unable to carry out any of the bad things they had planned. If a respectable and sane republican president had that congressional majority, we would probably have suffered greatly.
This is all pretty amazing to me. You are right, as it is right now the (R)'s can get little done but the (D)'s want to end that to put in place someone that very well may get things they are very much against.

There is a new Sander's thread where a few of us that pushed for him can rub it in but here we can make new warnings. The way to better Trump is not to get rid of him but to promote better ideas and get people to vote for those ideas.

I noted when Trump picked Pence that it was brilliant. That it created a nice firewall. Never did I think the (D)'s would push to make a guy like this president. If he does the (R)'s win big time. It's why they are not defending Trump. They want Pence. There is no way a person like Pence could have ever become president any other way, and the (R)'s will have pulled off a major win here.

So the (D)'s can continue to push for what they want, it's the same thing the (R)'s want but for different reasons and they win if the (D)'s get it. The (D)'s really are a bunch of myopic fools.

Quote:
He's caused so much bad kickback against the Republican Party, that those in congress are running scared about what might happen in 18 months, in the midterm elections. Even if Trump is tossed out, his successor won't likely be able to pull things back into shape that soon. Trump has literally snatched defeat from the jaws of victory. Maybe I was right a year ago, that Trump was actually a secret agent for the Democrats and his agenda was to trash the Republicans?
Nope. Trump voters aren't going to vote (D). (R)'s aren't going to vote (D) especially if Pence is in there. Pence will solidify the party. With Trump in there the (D)'s will likely make small gains in 2018. Not enough to take over but enough to make sure little gets done. Then in 2020 they could make large gains.

Watch, they are going to blow it and play right into the hands of the far right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies