Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2017, 04:19 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
They are trying to make it sound better and convince them to share more things and own less, because it's green. It seems to promote dependence, and we are supposed to think that owning things is uncool and materialistic. Only the rich are ok to own things. We can all just rent from them, and be all hip and communal. Not only that the apartments are getting smaller, not small and confining, but "tiny", as in cute.
I guess. I mean, one of our apartments seemed to have about 10 people in it half the time, and we were communally having dinner, sleeping, etc.

Going on vacations and sleeping on hotel floors... etc. It was fun. We all liked each other.

Until we decided to get really serious about stuff like marriages and families and just wanted space.

I have seen people living in tiny houses who are married and really think they'll like it, but these people often don't have kids yet... the ones with little babies amuse me because I cannot imagine anything more miserable than trying to live in one room and a single bath with a tiny infant once they hit toddlerhoood.

Old 05-18-2017, 04:38 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,165,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridanative10 View Post
"In 1975, only 25 percent of men aged 25 to 34 had incomes of less than $30,000 per year. By 2016, that share rose to 41 percent of young men," according to the report.

"That is a product of a shrinking blue-collar economy," said Anthony Carnevale, director of the Center on Education and the Workforce, a non-profit institute at Georgetown University."

https://twitter.com/bronzeagemantis/...00532532736000
So, your Standard of Living is declining. I predicted that way back in 2008. What of it?

If two families need to share a 3 bedroom apartment to make ends meet, then that's what they need to be doing, because I'll be damned if I'm going to subsidize the Life-Styles and Standard of Living for others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2017, 05:11 PM

1,204 posts, read 872,859 times
I got a chuckle out of the thread title.

Most of the living with roommates we did and the same for others we knew--- it was like communal living
And when you are 25 or so and younger, everyone needs to try as a way to get out of the house and learn something.

Old 05-18-2017, 06:22 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,903,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
It's getting harder though...Phoenix Metro rents have shot up sky high this year.
To be fair: I haven't been any where near the Phoenix area in years.

Old 05-19-2017, 07:01 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,923,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Pick your poison.

No jobs and 400 rent
50K job sharing 5K rent with 3 others on a 2 BR.

So you do what much of the country does, and commute a couple of hours to work everyday. I know some people doing 2-3 hours a day road commuting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies