Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2017, 08:13 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,368,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Why would Pence speak at an affiliate of the world's most nefarious crime syndicates?
Because Pence is also part of a nefarious crime syndicate: the U.S. government.

That one was easy. Got another one?

Next question.

Old 05-20-2017, 08:15 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,589,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
LOL. You have a good point. They *all* sound like Ben Stein after five minutes to me!
Or like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss2hULhXf04

Old 05-20-2017, 08:18 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,508,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
But isnt that true of the students who are walking out as well, did they not earn the same respect ? Do they not see it as an important event that is now ruined because of the speaker ????

As VP , and as the former governor of the state, there is a grey area there, but lets not pretend like one side is more hurt than the other here.

Everyone will still get their diplomas
I'm sorry, I hadn't seen this til now.

College prepares students for life, and life includes learning the art of diplomacy. In real life, everybody has to suck it up on occasion. Walk out of a business meeting in protest and see what happens. Walk out of your kid's classroom on Parent's Night because the teacher has different political leanings than you. See how fast that builds friendships. Diplomacy is what often keeps us from doing really stupid things. It's a vital life skill. Nobody has the right to force anyone to listen to a speech. They are free to get up and leave. That's the beauty of freedom.

But a person exhibiting diplomacy knows that their own personal feelings aren't a primary consideration at a private event with thousands of others in attendance, and that disrupting an event as important as a college graduation in order to express ones' self is just kind of a dick move.

Old 05-20-2017, 08:21 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,508,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
HA! I knew the sound before I even hit play. Love them Peanuts!

Old 05-20-2017, 08:58 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,473,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
I'm sorry, I hadn't seen this til now.

College prepares students for life, and life includes learning the art of diplomacy. In real life, everybody has to suck it up on occasion. Walk out of a business meeting in protest and see what happens. Walk out of your kid's classroom on Parent's Night because the teacher has different political leanings than you. See how fast that builds friendships. Diplomacy is what often keeps us from doing really stupid things. It's a vital life skill. Nobody has the right to force anyone to listen to a speech. They are free to get up and leave. That's the beauty of freedom.

But a person exhibiting diplomacy knows that their own personal feelings aren't a primary consideration at a private event with thousands of others in attendance, and that disrupting an event as important as a college graduation in order to express ones' self is just kind of a dick move.
Reading your post immediately brought this to mind:

Donald Trump Doesn't Shake Angela Merkel's Hand: Watch | Time.com

Old 05-20-2017, 09:12 PM

51,654 posts, read 25,828,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Oh, for sure. Notre Dame is known for it's violent attacks on speakers.
I had no idea.

MSM sure keeps that under wraps.

Old 05-20-2017, 09:17 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,534,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
With all this Catholicism in your family, it's surprising that you don't hold the words of the Pope in higher esteem.

Oh, well. That's the way it goes.
I grew up in a wealthy community because the other side of my family (the non Catholic side) paid the tab. My parents (mostly just my mother) couldn't afford squat on their own. Catechism, for me, stopped early on because of financial issues. Because of the affluence of the surrounding community, the priest didn't believe them....thought they were just being cheap....and wouldn't let me continue. The non Catholic side of my family accepted that my mother married a Catholic, but they weren't going to go beyond that and pay for Catechism. Whenever my father was around and I did something wrong, he'd say "we haven't given him enough religion", yet he never tried working harder to make that happen. Another one of my Catholic uncles (not the one mentioned in my previous post) worked two jobs to afford a Catholic K-12 education for his three children, and he died after paying for college for the oldest (the others still followed in the footsteps of the oldest). I'm agnostic. I think the concept of organized religion is arrogant....one might be right, and the others wrong, but we can't prove that concretely. If I had completed Catechism, who knows, I might feel differently and 'just believe'. While not being a believer, I do admire the the discipline and respect that are part of that faith, I see those qualities (I believe nurtured by their faith) expressed in the lives of family members, and that discipline and respect is what I was getting at in my post.

Why 'pu**y foot around' so to speak? Why be cryptic? Why not have some guts, and come out and say which words of the Pope you are speaking of, and out of which Pope's mouth they came?

I think the Cardinals made a huge mistake electing the current Pope, but I have to admit.....he doesn't lack guts.

Old 05-20-2017, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
I grew up in a wealthy community because the other side of my family (the non Catholic side) paid the tab. My parents (mostly just my mother) couldn't afford squat on their own. Catechism, for me, stopped early on because of financial issues. Because of the affluence of the surrounding community, the priest didn't believe them....thought they were just being cheap....and wouldn't let me continue. The non Catholic side of my family accepted that my mother married a Catholic, but they weren't going to go beyond that and pay for Catechism. Whenever my father was around and I did something wrong, he'd say "we haven't given him enough religion", yet he never tried working harder to make that happen. Another one of my Catholic uncles (not the one mentioned in my previous post) worked two jobs to afford a Catholic K-12 education for his three children, and he died after paying for college for the oldest (the others still followed in the footsteps of the oldest). I'm agnostic. I think the concept of organized religion is arrogant....one might be right, and the others wrong, but we can't prove that concretely. If I had completed Catechism, who knows, I might feel differently and 'just believe'. While not being a believer, I do admire the the discipline and respect that are part of that faith, I see those qualities (I believe nurtured by their faith) expressed in the lives of family members, and that discipline and respect is what I was getting at in my post.

Why 'pu**y foot around' so to speak? Why be cryptic? Why not have some guts, and come out and say which words of the Pope you are speaking of, and out of which Pope's mouth they came?

I think the Cardinals made a huge mistake electing the current Pope, but I have to admit.....he doesn't lack guts.
^^^^^ After posting the above, I read the link in the OP, etc., and you (GotHereAsQuickAsICould) are obviously talking about Pope Francis, YET neither you nor the article linked to the OP provide any quotes from Pope Francis...any of his words.

Old 05-20-2017, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantiquity View Post
If they know they don't want to listen to possible a different view point, why do they show up in the first place?

I am sure the liberal/progressive teaching staff and their liberal/progressive/fascist agenda has something to do with students walking out. If you don't agree with me your free speech means little too me is the new leftist talking point.

But personally I could care less if they walk out...their lost. Just as long as they don't become anarchists and break and burn things on their way to their safe room.
Yep.

Old 05-20-2017, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
so it is true: parents pay fortunes for their kids to get college degrees and yet no one has taught the kids respect or insisted they grow up. Isn't this just wonderful!!! For those who call this freedom of speech, wouldn't it be better just to not pay any attention than to show rudeness? I sometimes think we use freedom of speech as a cop out.
Exactly. +1

Protest by posting on Facebook, posting on Twitter, posting here, writing letters to the editor of various newspapers, blog about it, or create a podcast. Given the scenario...nothing rude about those choices. Rudely getting up and walking out of a graduation (a graduation isn't a club sponsored political speech, an issue specific conference, etc.) reflects on person walking out, and how they were raised. Some other posts on this thread excuse that disrespect by citing perceived disrespect by Pence or disrespect by Trump perceived to be supported by Pence. IMO, that is 'little kid/but...but...but Joey did it too' logic. IMO, one can only claim the high ground if one is not exhibiting a quality one is criticizing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies