Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2017, 09:08 PM

26,790 posts, read 22,567,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post
I'm not seeing it. If capitalism was based on having a right to someone else's labor, the laborer wouldn't be able to decline a job offer. The employer would just draft them.
Define to be "able to."
If you have nothing to eat, you are hardly "able to decline a job offer." That's Capitalism 101, the way it started (and progressed) in good ole Europe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2017, 09:12 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,500,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post
I'm not seeing it. If capitalism was based on having a right to someone else's labor, the laborer wouldn't be able to decline a job offer. The employer would just draft them.
So "draftees" didn't have to file 1040's?

Old 05-21-2017, 09:13 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,970,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker15 View Post
....why stop there and not say that housing is a right, college is a right? You have to pay to get housing, you have to pay to get a college education, and not expect someone else to hand it to you for free. It is not free, because someone else paid for it. How is it a right? Entitlement much?
I can't even believe we even have to have this conversation. Healthcare IS an entitlement. People are entitled to be healthy. They have a universal right not to be ill. This is so patently obvious no discussion should be necessary. But we live in the United States, the most powerful country in the world, so we are still behind many other countries when it comes to health care, and some people believe that only the rich are "entitled" to health insurance and benefits

Old 05-21-2017, 09:15 PM

15,640 posts, read 10,398,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
What a bizarre question. Taxation, or the appropriation of funds for the common good, is the basis for how all civilizations have worked since the days of ancient Greece. I don't know where you can go to escape it except maybe the north pole or Antarctica. You will probably freeze to death up there, but at least you will die a free man.
Not at all.

If you think Americans go to work each day to support the "common good" of people who don't work you belong in Venezuela or Bernie's state.

Old 05-21-2017, 09:28 PM

4,019 posts, read 3,954,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I can't rep you again but I do agree. Not that the government does everything right, but I can't see healthcare being delegated to all the separate health insurance companies. They're greedy and this is a case where the government could step in and organize things, put a cap on expenses, do it more efficiently than separate companies telling us they will do it all by themselves. Waste and greed!

Imagine if private companies were allowed to build all the roads and bridges with no national standards or regulations, or the police and fire departments run by private companies. It would be a complete disaster, like healthcare is now.

There are just certain things that should not be left in the hands of private industry. Even computers and cellphones have to meet safety and environmental standards.

Old 05-21-2017, 09:30 PM

5,302 posts, read 2,357,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
The pleasure derived from mocking seems to be predominantly experienced by those who come out with the meme of "stealing" someone else's labour.

Monopolies seriously? Go visit the Amish but don't be surprised if even they learned the hard way to follow some good old technological and medical common sense derived from "other's" tax dollars. They n o longer allow intermarriage due to the horrendous birth defects that crippled many of their young for decades before they listened and followed medical and physiological protocols derived from your tax dollars in action.

When it is for the benefit of the whole, even the most entrenched 'self sufficient' of you isn't above advantaging the fruits of others labours. The capitalistic example is based upon that very premise.

You can raise your own beef, drill your own well, poop down a hole in the ground and avoid using your car on public roads, but do you? NOPE, that would be inconvenient wouldn't it? None of those are monopolies outlawed by government; another overused meme.

"Smugness" exists in those who maintain what untold millions of others in many other countries have arrived at through common sense and referendum as "stealing" or "leeching" or some other pejorative commonly used.

Get it correct before presuming to lecture with condescension in a "smug" manner.
I'm saying we shouldn't need to be self-sufficient. We should be free to work with whoever we want for those goods or services so we aren't stuck with either the government version or doing it all alone. I'd like some private sector options to choose from, personally.

People often assume that I believe in doing everything myself, but far from it. Working together is an essential part of improving all of our lives. I just believe in doing it by choice and respecting those who don't want to participate.

Old 05-21-2017, 09:32 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,422,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
Then instead of health care, I think the "health care is not a right" guys should be able to just shoot us in the head if we dont have insurance. It's cheaper.

I lost my insurance three weeks into a six month stay in the hospital with sepsis where I lost my foot. I'm sorry for being a freeloader who tried t do the right thing by keeping crappy insurance through work instead of using the ACA

I'm curious. If you had private insurance and lost it couldn't you get coverage through the ACA? I thought that was a qualifying event.

Old 05-21-2017, 09:39 PM

5,302 posts, read 2,357,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Define to be "able to."
If you have nothing to eat, you are hardly "able to decline a job offer." That's Capitalism 101, the way it started (and progressed) in good ole Europe.
That's kind of where I thought you were going. Yeah, we're forced by nature to work if we want something, or at least somebody has to do it. That can't be avoided.

Whenever I talk to anti-capitalists I think of something I saw awhile back...

Marxist: Feed my *** for simply existing.
Capitalist: No, but I'll pay you to do stuff for me.
Marxist: OMG I'm being exploited!!

That's pretty much what it all comes down to.

Old 05-21-2017, 09:57 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker15 View Post
....why stop there and not say that housing is a right, college is a right? You have to pay to get housing, you have to pay to get a college education, and not expect someone else to hand it to you for free. It is not free, because someone else paid for it. How is it a right? Entitlement much?
Who said health care is a right? Sounds like I missed something. The US has never signed the UN rights declaration that includes health care and housing, if I'm not mistaken. It's the Russkies who said housing and health care are a right.

Old 05-21-2017, 09:58 PM

45,237 posts, read 26,464,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Then stop sending your kids to public schools, driving on public highways, drinking public utility water, flushing your toilet without considering where that poop of yours goes, eating USDA inspected meat, taking a book from the local library, even visiting the ER when your azz gets hurt because all of those are provided through public funding from other people's taxes as well as your own.

I mean since you're so principled and all; stop doing all the things you've taken for granted your entire life.

Go on, lead that parade and we'll be so enthralled with your stellar example of ethics we'll be right behind you............
If the guv would allow competitors and stop taking my money, you'd have a point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies