Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2017, 09:23 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,502,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Thats not SSI. Thats SSDI (SS Disability Insurance).

SSI is for disabled people with no work history, people who are born disabled, got disabled in their early years as a child or young adult. The maximum payment is about $700 in the rest of the country and about $900 in California.
Official source, please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2017, 09:24 AM

6,354 posts, read 3,652,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
Billionaire Trump. No other Politicians or Billionaires huh. Only Trump. Who makes the f'ing laws, CONGRESS. Who pays CONGRESS, we do and Lobbyists.. Why do you think our tax laws are written the way they are. Because those people write them and send them to the POTUS. Have any been sent there. so far. NOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Trump and every other producing citizen wants lower taxes. Dont you. Do you not fill out your taxes and try to get as many deductions as possible. Hypocrite.. Nothing but a liberal Hypocrite.. Give me free college, free cell phone, blah blah blah.. But when a POTUS speaks of reducing taxes to reduce your liability to the governments bloated programs, you cry foul. Grow up..
And Trump's tax plan will actually increase taxes for more than 1/2 of single parent families.

Trump's Tax Plan Would Hit Single Parents the Hardest | Investopedia

Why do republicans support a tax plan that increases taxes on more than half of single parent families?

Old 05-22-2017, 09:27 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,107,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NxtGen View Post
Oh look, another progressive lecturing Christians on the Bible when they have no clue of what the Bible says.
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Just liberals throwing guilt trips around.

Here are a few scriptures directly from the bible about helping your others:

Quote:
First John 3:17 “But if anyone has the world’s goods and sees his brother in need, yet closes his heart against him, how does God’s love abide in him?”

Quote:
11 There will always be poor people in the land. Therefore I command you to be openhanded toward your fellow Israelites who are poor and needy in your land.
Quote:
Matthew 25:35-40 “For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me.’ Then the righteous will answer him, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you drink? 38 And when did we see you a stranger and welcome you, or naked and clothe you? And when did we see you sick or in prison and visit you?’ And the King will answer them, ‘Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me.”

NxtGen and T-310.....YOU WERE SAYING?

19,608 posts, read 12,210,591 times
Those who are actually committing fraud to receive services will be fine. They are good at it, they know what they are doing. The cuts will affect those who need it and who would have no idea how to scam the system nor would they. They will just quietly be dropped and forgotten, too sick, tired and defeated to fight back. I hope you are happy to support this.

16,345 posts, read 18,050,415 times
Quote:
Oh look, another progressive lecturing Christians on the Bible when they have no clue of what the Bible says.
I've read it. I wouldn't call myself an expert or anything, but I don't remember "Go forth and **** over the poor for they are lazy freeloaders" or "Do unto others as you wouldn't do to yourself because only your 401K is important", but perhaps you could point out the chapter and verse for us.

Old 05-22-2017, 09:28 AM

8,629 posts, read 9,131,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
Official source, please.
PCALMike is correct. SSDI is for workers who became disabled, who have contributed to SS for a number of years and or quarters. SSI is welfare in which contributions are made from state and federal. Last numbers I've read (SSI) is $700 per month on average.

589 posts, read 381,054 times
Quote:
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day, teach a man to fish and he eats for a lifetime.

The first is progressive principals because a progressive is evil and loves the feeling of power, control, and self elevation of being the "giver". They love the need of another, the dependence of another because they relish the power and feeling it gives them.

The latter is the principal of someone who actually wants to help someone. Their solution is not to simply give a hand out, to gain power or control. It is to help the person in a way that allows them to become self sufficient, so that they can eventually pass on the same to another in need of help.

You say demonize the poor? Who is more of a demon to the poor?

The one who keeps them dependent, excuses responsibility?

Or the one that encourages self responsibility?

I would say that the former demonizes the poor for their own worthless benefit.
I'm in favor of creating an agency staffed with fraud investigators who do nothing but weed out the social program connivers, liars & crooks. As a recipient, you don't cooperate with the investigators, you don't get a check. If you are found to be cheating, you get arrested and justice will run its course. It may take awhile, but eventually the social programs will be cleaned up and vast amounts of money will be saved.

16,345 posts, read 18,050,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Just liberals throwing guilt trips around.
More like a statement of fact. I think most of us realize that one has to have a conscience to actually feel guilt, so no danger there.

Old 05-22-2017, 09:30 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,956,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
Boy you are so full of doo-doo. Weakest safety net.
Yes, America's public safety net for the disabled is terrible. Thats the reality. And yes, labor force participation is very low in America compared to other developed countries. Thats not the same as unemployment rate. The labor force participation rate tells us the share of the people who are in the labor force. And it is low in America. And the safety net is weak. Cutting the support for the disabled, the poor and the elderly even further is not the solution. And no, I didnt support NAFTA, but the GOP did. And the ruling donor class who support this agenda of gifts to themselves and cuts in programs for the disabled and the elderly are also strong globalists and Wall Street fat cats. They dont represent you even if you support them.

Old 05-22-2017, 09:33 AM

7,269 posts, read 4,210,249 times
Quote:
I'm in favor of creating an agency staffed with fraud investigators who do nothing but weed out the social program connivers, liars & crooks. As a recipient, you don't cooperate with the investigators, you don't get a check. If you are found to be cheating, you get arrested and justice will run its course. It may take awhile, but eventually the social programs will be cleaned up and vast amounts of money will be saved.
you mean like other countries do. makes perfect sense which is why it likely won't happen. too many votes bought with free handouts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies