Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2017, 11:56 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,730,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
Not necessarily true. The rich often have numerous tax sheltering options and ways of greatly lowering their tax burdens because they can hire the best tax experts to find the loopholes, something the average middle class person does not have.

Trump himself bragged on many occasions he paid almost nothing in federal taxes for years and then he blamed Washington policies for allowing him to do so (this was something he said in one of his debates). His fans ate it up, naturally. Why do you think he won't release his tax returns and only selected one from a year decades ago in which he did pay taxes? And his fans ate it up and asked for more of the same.
Applying the tax code as written is not a "loophole".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2017, 12:10 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,493,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liars Poker View Post
Until you can quantify the dollars lost by fraud or abuse in the programs being cut, it's probably wise to wait-and-see.

"If you're on food stamps and able-bodied, we need you to go to work," Mulvaney said.
To which I'd reply to Mick Mulvaney "I need you to find me a job that pays a liveable wage with health benefits, until then, "eff off" Mick!"

Old 05-23-2017, 12:13 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,078,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liars Poker View Post
Until you can quantify the dollars lost by fraud or abuse in the programs being cut, it's probably wise to wait-and-see.

"If you're on food stamps and able-bodied, we need you to go to work," Mulvaney said.
The majority of people on food stamps are working.

Now what? They need to take second and third jobs?

Old 05-23-2017, 12:14 PM

833 posts, read 521,007 times
According to Democrats, we are now at "full employment," which is the reasoning used by Bill Clinton in signing his welfare reform law. So, unless Democrats are now openly admitting that the real unemployment rate is not 4.5%, then there's zero reason not to cut back on entitlement spending such as welfare, foodstamps, disability, etc.

Old 05-23-2017, 12:22 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,265,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
To which I'd reply to Mick Mulvaney "I need you to find me a job that pays a liveable wage with health benefits, until then, "eff off" Mick!"
They probably also need Mick to babysit their kids while they work, as child care is expensive. From what I've heard, day care often takes almost the whole salary of one spouse. So what happens to single parents? For a country full of people crying about the disintegration of the 'family,' the government appears to be doing their best to destroy them.

Old 05-23-2017, 12:22 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,078,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus Clay Banger View Post
According to Democrats, we are now at "full employment," which is the reasoning used by Bill Clinton in signing his welfare reform law. So, unless Democrats are now openly admitting that the real unemployment rate is not 4.5%, then there's zero reason not to cut back on entitlement spending such as welfare, foodstamps, disability, etc.
Do you understand that people can be working full time and still be living below the poverty level? That the jobs that are out there are no longer the high paying factory jobs with good benefits that people can live well and comfortably off of, but more often are minimum wage jobs with few or no benefits that in no way pay enough to survive on? And that in many cases that's the only job available to many people?

No, you probably have no idea of this. You have your talking point, which you have been posting on other threads as well, and that is as deep as you are capable of thinking.

Old 05-23-2017, 12:24 PM

833 posts, read 521,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Do you understand that people can be working full time and still be living below the poverty level? That the jobs that are out there are no longer the high paying factory jobs that people can live well and comfortably off of, but more often are minimum wage jobs that in no way pay enough to survive on? And that in many cases that's the only job available to many people?

No, you probably have no idea of this. You have your talking point, which you have been posting on other threads as well, and that is as deep as you are capable of thinking.
There's nothing new under the sun. You know that right? What you are espousing is the very same argument made back in 1996. Guess what? People survived. We have not had a mass starvation crisis in America. Sink or swim. People swam. And they will continue to swim.

Old 05-23-2017, 12:25 PM

589 posts, read 381,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
The majority of people on food stamps are working.

Now what? They need to take second and third jobs?
Why not ? They wouldn't be the first to do so.

Old 05-23-2017, 12:26 PM

589 posts, read 381,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
Obviously, I don't know your personal situation but what do you consider to be a livable wage ?

Old 05-23-2017, 12:27 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,108,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
If you're wealthy, making over $200K/year then you'll probably like Trump's Tax plan, which will give tax cuts to the top 10%.

If you're poor, then you're S.O.L.

If you're middle-class, there are few details available but there's not anticipated to be many, if any, breaks for you.

Trump's budget looks like big gifts for the rich, big cuts for the poor - May. 22, 2017
Short version: unless you can afford a Mar-a-Lago membership your effed!

I don't understand how anyone can stand for this. I consider myself to be pro-business and reasonably center-right on most political issues, but we can't balance the budgets on the backs of our most vulnerable because some billionaires want a tax cut to buy their 7th vacation home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies