Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2017, 01:36 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,681,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Stupid analogy. If you stab someone with a knife, you go to prison. If you stab someone with a toothpick, you may spend the night in jail for assault if the police feel like it. Actually, it is a good analogy because it shows how utterly ridiculous it is to compare FGM to circumcision.
What happens if a person is stabbed in the eye with a toothpick, and blinded? Does the stabber maybe spend the night in jail, if the police feel like it?

It's a good analogy, because other than self defense, no one should ever stab another person with either a knife or a tooth pick -just like no one should ever mutilate the genitals of another person, just because an invisible friend wills it.

Last edited by Joe90; 06-01-2017 at 02:32 PM..

Old 06-01-2017, 01:37 PM

7,447 posts, read 2,834,440 times
Quote:
I think you believe you made an excellent point, but not in my opinion.
Likewise, your points, in my opinion, are weak and morally inconsistent.

Old 06-01-2017, 01:54 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,593,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Two doctors who have been charged cutting young girls’ genitalia are saying it’s fine because it’s part of their religious freedom.

https://eblnews.com/video/genital-mu...freedom-110302

This is the danger of religious freedom laws such as the one Pence signed in Indiana.

https://iga.in.gov/legislative/2015/...ument-92bab197

The freedom of the mutilated girls to lead normal lives, has no meaning to these butchers. Even if we can do nothing about this atrocity in other countries, we can crack down on it here in the U.S. and permanently put these practitioners out of business. Any parents who request such a thing to be done to their daughters, should be severely punished and their children taken away, to protect them. Deport such parents and provide the daughters a safe haven here. Anyone who would do such a thing to a young girl, has forfeited all rights to parenthood.

The sordid past of our culture here, that people like Pence would like to revive, is fundamentally no different or less brutal to women, than what Islamists do today. Both sides of my family lived in this repressive culture, just two generations back and the carry-over from it, is still haunting many of us alive today. If Pence becomes president, he must be thwarted in all his attempts to impose such things on our nation. How do such misanthropic individuals ever manage to reach leadership positions?

Last edited by Steve McDonald; 06-01-2017 at 02:05 PM..

Old 06-01-2017, 02:20 PM

21,479 posts, read 10,579,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post
Likewise, your points, in my opinion, are weak and morally inconsistent.
Sure, says the person who compares cutting of the foreskin of a penis to cutting off the entire outer genitalia of a female.

Old 06-01-2017, 02:21 PM

21,479 posts, read 10,579,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
What happens if a person is stabbed in the eye with a toothpick, and blinded? Does the stabber maybe spend the night in jail, if the police feel like it?
Did you read the post I was responding to? The toothpick analogy was his, not mine.

Old 06-01-2017, 02:31 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,681,771 times
Quote:
Did you read the post I was responding to? The toothpick analogy was his, not mine.
zzzSnorlax makes a fgood point though - stabbing someone is stabbing someone - just like genital mutilation is genital mutilation.

If the toothpick was intended to blind, while the knife was only intended to cause a scratch, the law would view it much differently -it's intent that matters, not the weapon of choice.

Old 06-01-2017, 02:35 PM

7,447 posts, read 2,834,440 times
Quote:
Sure, says the person who compares cutting of the foreskin of a penis to cutting off the entire outer genitalia of a female.
Sure, says the person that ignores the fact that I have been maintaining this entire time that FGM is far more destructive that MGM, but the consent/autonomy issues remain the same. Straw man me more please I love it.

Old 06-01-2017, 02:35 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,813,132 times
Female genital mutilation is nowhere comparable to male circumcision, but as long as 70% of US males are circumcised, without any medical reason, you have no moral ground to build on.

Old 06-01-2017, 03:00 PM

778 posts, read 339,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Care to elaborate?
The poster stated that one person has no right to take an action that "negatively affects someone else," which is exactly what happens when a woman takes the action of aborting (i.e., ending the existence) of someone else.

Therefore, if you proclaim that circumcision should be outlawed, knowing that the practice of circumcision is a fundamental tenet of the Jewish faith, yet do not say the same when it comes to abortion, then it is obvious that you support the incarceration of Jews who follow their faith, but not others for the same actions you want outlawed.

Old 06-01-2017, 03:02 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipsywicket View Post
The poster stated that one person has no right to take an action that "negatively affects someone else," which is exactly what happens when a woman takes the action of aborting (i.e., ending the existence) of someone else.

Therefore, if you proclaim that circumcision should be outlawed, knowing that the practice of circumcision is a fundamental tenet of the Jewish faith, yet do not say the same when it comes to abortion, then it is obvious that you support the incarceration of Jews who follow their faith, but not others for the same actions you want outlawed.
The problem with your argument is that you are saying that a fertilized egg is "someone else". You do realize that the majority of fertilized eggs are "aborted" naturally?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies