Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2017, 01:31 AM

21,989 posts, read 15,704,977 times

Advertisements

I've heard the recording about ten times. It appears that what angers this man is getting the question about the healthcare bill. He'd deferred any questions about it using the CBO score as the excuse. The CBO score came out today, thus the question. Clearly this angered him and his response was to physically attack the reporter. Of course - he will not be arrested and of course, Republicans will elect him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2017, 01:33 AM

15,408 posts, read 6,193,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy24 View Post
Lock his arse up!
Could not agree more! Everyone posting in this thread would be locked up if we did that. Why should Gianforte be treated differently? Hope he loses by a large margin.

Old 05-25-2017, 01:50 AM

5,277 posts, read 2,798,684 times
wow Banjo Mike

Your writing makes you the Minnesota Public Radio Garrison Keeler of Montana.

I looked up a phrase you said. I found this article.

“Nuttier than a peach orchard boar ” . I have used this one many times and it , too comes from my grandfather ’ s time. It is normally used to describe someone acting crazy or drunk and every time I use it my kids always laugh and shake their heads but it has as its origin a truth that most pig farmers know. You see , when fruit like peaches fall from the tree and lay on the ground without being gathered , the natural sugars and yeasts of the fruit will ferment in the sun . Now there ’ s nothing a pig loves more than sweet fruit and when the pig is allowed to gorge himself on the old fruit on the ground he becomes quite drunk . He will stagger around , charge anything that comes close , and finally fall over … . passed out … and will lay there until he sleeps it off .

Old Sayings....A part of our oral history – Our Salon

Old 05-25-2017, 02:45 AM

29,213 posts, read 22,348,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmaise View Post
wow Banjo Mike

Your writing makes you the Minnesota Public Radio Garrison Keeler of Montana.

I looked up a phrase you said. I found this article.

“Nuttier than a peach orchard boar ” . I have used this one many times and it , too comes from my grandfather ’ s time. It is normally used to describe someone acting crazy or drunk and every time I use it my kids always laugh and shake their heads but it has as its origin a truth that most pig farmers know. You see , when fruit like peaches fall from the tree and lay on the ground without being gathered , the natural sugars and yeasts of the fruit will ferment in the sun . Now there ’ s nothing a pig loves more than sweet fruit and when the pig is allowed to gorge himself on the old fruit on the ground he becomes quite drunk . He will stagger around , charge anything that comes close , and finally fall over … . passed out … and will lay there until he sleeps it off .

Old Sayings....A part of our oral history – Our Salon
Thanks, but I'm an Idahoan. I lived in Montana twice, but I've always called Idaho my home and my family is old blood here, so my roots are deep. I often go there, though, because I have lots of friends and some relatives there.

I do love Montana, but I love Idaho even more. Since they are neighbors, I'm glad its so easy for me to over from time to time. I actually had a trip there planned for this week, but events got in the way.

I expect I'll hear a lot of talk about this when I arrive. One of my favorite places to hang out to learn what's going on is the Oxford Hotel in Missoula. The Oxford opened in 1881, and the owner threw the keys to the bar room's door locks away as soon as it was opened. The bar hasn't closed since then, although the hotel no longer offers any of the rooms above any more.

The Ox is always full of railroad workers, college professors, Basque sheepherders, hoboes, college kids who play poker for their tuition, yuppies and cowboys. Ted Kyzinsky, the mad bomber, used to go to the Oxford and stink up the place. He always reeked of woodsmoke. Everyone knew he was crazy, but no one ever thought he was making bombs in his tiny cabin out in the nearby woods.

They all play poker and pan all night long, drink gallons of beer and whiskey, and have brains and eggs at the bar for breakfast.

If it isn't being talked about in the Ox, it hasn't happened yet.

Old 05-25-2017, 03:08 AM

8,840 posts, read 4,803,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
I expect many will change their votes.
Gianforte lost the Governor's race last year to a Democrat, in part due to his reluctance in supporting Trump, who took Montana.

But this time, he was solidly behind Trump, and held an early lead until the ACA repeal surfaced. Then, Gianforte began struggling afterward.

There are a lot of singular factors in this race; Quist is extremely well known as a singer; he's Montana's Johnny Cash, and as a native born on a ranch, is about as typical a Montanan as it gets.

Quist covered the entire huge state and all its reservations (the only politician in ages who has paid any attention to the large Native American population), and in a state that is all very small towns spread far apart, has out-worked Gianforte, who has mostly courted the wealthy in the state and concentrated on the few large cities.

There has always been a big division between the rich and the poor there. Montana is beautiful, but it's a very hard place to make a living in for the working man, and it has always been a rich man's playground, going all the way back to its earliest days.

The state attracts thousands of people who move there just for the beauty, and most leave within a year or two after they move because it's so hard to make a living there.
But at the same time, the state also attracts a lot of fabulously wealthy people for the same reason, and those folks are sometimes appreciated for the jobs they bring with them or are despised for locking out the working people from some of Montana's nicest lands. Or for their indulgent behavior and lifestyles.

Bozeman in particular has these divisions. It's Gianforte's home town, and even though he's been there 20 years, and brought new hi-tech jobs with him, he's resented for fencing off a section of the Gallatin river that had a fishing public access on it that had an easement. Then he re-routed the river channel so it would run by closer to his house.

Appearances also count. Quist looks totally like every native in the state, while Gianforte has always looked like a button-down Easterner. Quist's campaign speech is only about 10 minutes long- he spends all his time just chatting and answering questions where he appears, and hasn't concentrated on the big towns of Billings, Bozeman, Missoula, and Great Falls, as he didn't need to. Folks have been going to his concerts and shows for years and years.

Gianforte has put most of his efforts in those towns, speaking to party groups and civic groups more often than in informal settings.

Working people detest this stuff, and Quist has used this very effectively. The last poll, released last Monday, had Quist in the lead for the first time.

Outside money has flooded in on both sides, and there's an enormous get out the vote effort being conducted by both sides. Montanans can register to vote at the polls. The state has always swung back and forth between the parties, and has always been about 50-50, but tends to go one way or the other on 20-year cycles.

Montanans are an odd jumble of hippies, cowboys, farmers, movie stars, loggers and miners, hunters and tree-huggers, fundamenatalists and wiccans, criminals and lawmen.

Indians, Italians, Texans, Basques, Germans, Mormons, Mexicans, Canadians, and British royalty all settled there along with opportunists of all kinds.

And they all get along with each other until election time, and then they fight like hell. And then go to the local bar, get drunk, party until the sun comes up and go fishing. And forget about it until the next election.

I think Gianforte was probably already very tense before the Guardian reporter came in unexpectedly, and he just blew up.
The Fox crew was scheduled to interview Quist later, and Gianforte may have been thinking about that- Quist has been very quick to use Gianforte's mistakes against him.

According to some folks I know, he's been on the defensive for the last couple of weeks, and Donald Jr. didn't play very well there, but Bernie Sanders did when he showed up for Quist.

I don't want to make a prediction, but for sure, this incident won't help him tomorrow at all.
Great local perspective- thanks. I've heard some reporting on NPR but didn't know most of what you posted.

I'm headed to MT this summer for the first time to dig for dinosaur fossils- really looking forward to seeing it!

Old 05-25-2017, 04:09 AM

8,518 posts, read 3,752,935 times
He should have been arrested. Lock him up!!!!!

Old 05-25-2017, 04:49 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,623,074 times
Politicians who don't want to answer questions put to him need to find other ways to communicate that. No excuse for taking his hostility out on a reporter. How is it pertinent to the story that the reporter is a liberal? Sounds like the politician was trying to blame someone because he lost his temper and can't control it.

Old 05-25-2017, 04:51 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,901,489 times
This is the sort of candidate you get when the titular head of the party is a bully, someone who incited violence at his rallies. trump has lowered the standards for all candidates on the Repub side.

Old 05-25-2017, 04:54 AM

51,649 posts, read 25,796,708 times
Be interesting to see if the good people of Montana elects this disagreeable man. He ought to be quite the addition to Congress. Nancy Pelosi better start working out.

Old 05-25-2017, 04:54 AM

4,765 posts, read 3,730,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
This is the sort of candidate you get when the titular head of the party is a bully, someone who incited violence at his rallies. trump has lowered the standards for all candidates on the Repub side.
Flat Stanley couldn't limbo under the bar now!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies