Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2017, 02:19 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,275,645 times

Advertisements

The first thing that popped in my head was that "This will help Gianforte."

With all of the crazy things that have happened in the past year, it wouldn't surprise me in the least.

The right has allowed the demonizing of the media to happen and by extension things like this to happen.

Look, the media is a bunch of people asking questions, no more and no less. Most outlets are controlled by corporations; the only real narrative is to make money, I get it. We should all be critical of all news we consume.

But there are real people doing the groundwork, trying to get questions answered and getting paid 25-30k a year, and confronting animals like Gianforte, they definitely don't deserve to be body slammed.

The demonizing has to stop. But I'll assume it's easy for some of you to continue to otherize the media and the real people who work in it. The grand irony is that the media is on all of our sides. It is one of the few things in this society that can essentially stand up to tyrants through the spread of information. And our country allows for that as the very first thing in our constitution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2017, 02:24 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times
Reports out that the Gianforte campaign has raised about 100K since the body slam. Tells you everything you need to know about Republicans.

Old 05-25-2017, 02:28 PM

7,185 posts, read 3,701,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfriqueNY View Post
Actually... It's more like " anybody that disagrees and is different from you is the enemy". It's intimidation. Some of us on CD want liberals purged .
So, because the cons/trumpissts somehow believe that " anybody that disagrees and is different from you is the enemy. It's intimidation. "... They believe that they have the right to "want liberals purged".

Old 05-25-2017, 04:26 PM

24,415 posts, read 23,070,474 times
Doesn't anybody smell a rat here? We have only audio of an alleged attack and the reporter comes across as one of the worst actors ever. It seems to me that Gianforte explodes( pretty good acting though) for no reason and basically tries to throw the election away. Over health care. Whatever. If he wanted to throw the election it wouldn't be the first time. I just wonder what he was threatened with. His opponent comes across as a geek, though. You're not exactly displaying critical thinking skills being a Sanders supporter.

Old 05-25-2017, 04:28 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,532,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
Doesn't anybody smell a rat here? We have only audio of an alleged attack and the reporter comes across as one of the worst actors ever. It seems to me that Gianforte explodes( pretty good acting though) for no reason and basically tries to throw the election away. Over health care. Whatever. If he wanted to throw the election it wouldn't be the first time. I just wonder what he was threatened with. His opponent comes across as a geek, though. You're not exactly displaying critical thinking skills being a Sanders supporter.
You got audio and you got eyewitnesses and you got a misdemeanor charge.

It was hardly an planned 'ambush". It was a perfectly mundane question about the CBO score.

Old 05-25-2017, 04:29 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,532,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kat in aiken View Post
So, because the cons/trumpissts somehow believe that " anybody that disagrees and is different from you is the enemy. It's intimidation. "... They believe that they have the right to "want liberals purged".
I wouldn't mind purging a few backward thinking conservatives myself. They are absolutely un-American these days and praise treasonous behavior.

Old 05-25-2017, 04:29 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,912,422 times
Charged with assault:

Republican candidate charged with assault, roiling Trump's Montana test (Reuters)

Quote:
A Montana Republican running for a U.S. House of Representatives seat was charged with assaulting a reporter hours before polls opened on Thursday for a special election that could test President Donald Trump's political clout.

The incident on Wednesday roiled a tightening race in the Republican-leaning state, where a Democratic political novice aims to pull off a victory in a contest seen as a bellwether for next year's U.S. congressional elections.

It was not clear what effect the assault charge against Republican technology executive Greg Gianforte would have on the Montana race, where 37 percent of the 699,207 registered voters had already submitted absentee ballots, according to state election officials.

Old 05-25-2017, 04:32 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,143,346 times
Okay - I admit it.

I immediately suspected he was a Republican, and am glad to see it confirmed.

Republicans keep trying to claim that violence and violent rhetoric is equal in the parties, but it seems perfectly clear that it isn't. For instance, I don't ever recall Hillary advocating beating up anyone.

Old 05-25-2017, 04:48 PM

4,798 posts, read 3,509,747 times
Its amazing 22 people get slaughtered in manchester UK, and this thread has almost as many posts.
SMH

Old 05-25-2017, 05:12 PM

19,642 posts, read 12,231,401 times
I don't care what party this guy represents, this is disgusting. It isn't an aide or a supporter that did this. It is the candidate. What kind of country do you want to live in?

Oh, sure, he should just apologize. Then we just set the bar to where politicians can beat people up and still possibly get elected, and keep their positions. Ryan says it is alright. Congratulations America, we really are monumental "losers".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies