Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2017, 10:48 AM

4,491 posts, read 2,233,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
I wonder if the people who were killed by terrorist thought it only happened to the other guy, never them.
Almost certainly.

But again, exaggerating the threat does not make us more safe. Simply being honest about the threat is all it takes. Currently in the Middle East, there is an enormous amount of anti-western sentiment. As such, we should just keep our border secure and craft our foreign policy accordingly. Instead, we exaggerate it and get things like the Patriot Act.

Let's be clear here; the Patriot Act almost certainly did make us safer. But at what cost? See, if the threat is exaggerated, people may be willing to sacrifice their civil liberties for their personal safety. And if the threat were as real as it was made out to be, maybe that would make sense. But that's not the world we lived in. As it stood, the Patriot Act was an overreaction, one who's purpose was primarily to save face. If another 9/11 happened while Bush was in office, he'd either not get re-elected or be impeached in his second term. The Patriot Act kept that form happening, but in all seriousness, it probably wasn't going to happen anyway. We sacrificed our civil liberties for nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2017, 10:49 AM

15,669 posts, read 10,447,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
I wonder if the people who were killed by terrorist thought it only happened to the other guy, never them.
That seems to be the Progressive view in a nutshell. I or my loved ones haven't been maimed or killed so Muslim extremism doesn't really matter and should be ignored and you are a [fill in the blank with insult] if you disagree with me. Screw the people the Muslims kill and their families....."the other guy".

Old 05-27-2017, 10:54 AM

19,890 posts, read 12,179,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
More Americans are buried alive than are killed by terrorism.

You're More Likely to Die Choking Than Be Killed by Foreign Terrorists, Data Show - NBC News

Nearly double the number of people buried alive were murdered last year by a terrorist in just one attack.

Old 05-27-2017, 10:55 AM

15,722 posts, read 9,570,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
That seems to be the Progressive view in a nutshell. I or my loved ones haven't been maimed or killed so Muslim extremism doesn't really matter and should be ignored and you are a [fill in the blank with insult] if you disagree with me. Screw the people the Muslims kill and their families....."the other guy".
That's a gigantic oversimplification on what anyone has said on this thread. It is a knee jerk reaction without the required reading comprehension

Old 05-27-2017, 10:56 AM

15,669 posts, read 10,447,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
That's a gigantic oversimplification on what anyone has said on this thread. It is a knee jerk reaction without the required reading comprehension
I don't agree with you, but you are entitled to your opinion, even if you did include the requisite personal attack in your post because I disagree with you.

Last edited by texan2yankee; 05-27-2017 at 11:06 AM..

Old 05-27-2017, 10:58 AM

Quote:
I don't agree with you, but you are entitled to your opinion. I am entitled to mine, too.
Well, not all opinions are equal. You intentionally or unintentionally (and I genuinely do not know which I think is worse) misrepresent why progressives hold the views they do. Just because you're entitled to that opinion does not mean it's correct.

Old 05-27-2017, 11:01 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,514,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skepticratic View Post
Well, not all opinions are equal. You intentionally or unintentionally (and I genuinely do not know which I think is worse) misrepresent why progressives hold the views they do. Just because you're entitled to that opinion does not mean it's correct.
Care to enlighten us then?

How is it dem politicians like Cuomo, want AR and AK pattern rifles to never exist, make getting a concealed carry an expensive hassle to be declined based on not providing a sound reason, yet enjoy the protections of armed security staff and gated housing

Old 05-27-2017, 11:07 AM

15,722 posts, read 9,570,014 times
Quote:
I don't agree with you, but you are entitled to your opinion, even if you did include the requisite personal attack in your post because I disagree with you.
Yes, I should have taken the word "comprehension" out. Because it does seem you did not read all that I wrote before you replied. My opinion.

Old 05-27-2017, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
Care to enlighten us then?

How is it dem politicians like Cuomo, want AR and AK pattern rifles to never exist, make getting a concealed carry an expensive hassle to be declined based on not providing a sound reason, yet enjoy the protections of armed security staff and gated housing
That has nothing to do with anything I've said. I'm talking about foreign policy; his idea that progressives just don't care about victims potential victims of terror attacks is untrue, at least according to self described progressives. A member of one party or group is generally better suited to explain their own position better than someone outside it, and that's true of whatever group he identified with too. Arguing the effects of progressive policies is one thing, but attributing motivation is something entirely different.

As to your question on guns and Cuomo, I don't know. Ask Cuomo. I personally fully believe people should have the right to bare arms. More powerful firearms, which is a pretty subjective measure in fairness, are a greater responsibility and therefore, the threshold for what constitutes as an abuse of that responsibility, leading to the loss of the right to carry those specific firearms, should be lower. But if you or anyone else can handle owning a AR-15, I don't have an issue with it. If you want to conceal carry, I'm fine with that. Again, anything that looks like you are abusing or misusing that right should result in the right be restricted. And as with any loss of rights, anyone should always have the ability to petition to have the right returned and given an honest chance to do so.

Do not hold me accountable for the view of Cuomo or progressives just because I'm defending progressives against a particularly unjust criticism.

Old 05-27-2017, 11:14 AM

4,279 posts, read 1,911,803 times
Oh look, another Islamic apologist!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies