Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are libertarians conservatives without religious values?
Yes 7 77.78%
Yes 2 22.22%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2017, 05:07 PM

345 posts, read 250,879 times

Advertisements

As a side note, and this is purely an opinion.

A know quite a few big 'L' Libertarians, including some who have run for office.

I can't say that any of them would survive long in an unstructured environment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2017, 05:15 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,914,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corerius View Post
A huge difference between the two, and at this point probably the largest one.

Libertarians = pro open borders.
Conservatives = nationalists, pro US culture.

It's not a thing that I think can be waved away.
I agree with the late Milton Friedman, you cannot have open borders and a welfare state.

There are some pragmatic libertarians in the classical liberal mode.

Old 05-28-2017, 05:15 PM

12,400 posts, read 8,183,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post
The defining characteristic of a libertarian is non-aggression, as in the non-aggression principle. They are against the initiation of force - if someone is acting peacefully, isn't harming anyone else, and is minding their own business, you leave them alone. Otherwise you're the bad guy.

There's a variation in how closely certain types of libertarians follow that idea, but that's the basis of the libertarian philosophy. It's really not even a political philosophy, but one that applies to all human interaction.
And going to the social issues that also includes using a Federal Agent to force you to pay taxes and then using that money for someone else's abortion. Or sending a US Marshal should you refuse to bake a cake for people of the same gender wishing to publicly celebrate a union.

Old 05-28-2017, 05:19 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,914,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
And going to the social issues that also includes using a Federal Agent to force you to pay taxes and then using that money for someone else's abortion. Or sending a US Marshal should you refuse to bake a cake for people of the same gender wishing to publicly celebrate a union.
Libertarians tend to believe that you should not lose any rights when you start a business. The freedom of association should remain.

Old 05-28-2017, 05:51 PM

39,263 posts, read 27,661,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
People who have read, say, Ayn Rand, do indeed know.

Or Mieses. Or Friedman.

I do think it's true that many people who call themselves libertarians are confused.

Then again, it's possible that many people who call themselves libertarian think that libertarian means whatever they decide it means. I've never been to a Libertarian party convention, but from what I can see, they're quite entertaining. As well as a real life demonstration of why the Libertarian party is not even close to gaining any real political power.
yeah, exactly. I agree with everything you posted.

Old 05-28-2017, 08:12 PM

5,302 posts, read 2,360,700 times
Quote:

Or Mieses. Or Friedman.

I do think it's true that many people who call themselves libertarians are confused.

Then again, it's possible that many people who call themselves libertarian think that libertarian means whatever they decide it means. I've never been to a Libertarian party convention, but from what I can see, they're quite entertaining. As well as a real life demonstration of why the Libertarian party is not even close to gaining any real political power.
Another aspect is that a very large number of libertarians don't really want political power, but just want to spread the philosophy and influence people through ideas. Larken Rose is an anarchist libertarian who compares it to joining the mafia, working your way up to the mob boss, and turning it into a good and honest organization. It's never gonna happen.

I think you can see how a guy like Ron Paul had a huge influence and put libertarianism a bit more on the map, even though he knew he would never actually win the presidency or accomplish anything in Congress. He said so himself in his farewell speech when he retired.

Tom Woods and Jeffrey Tucker are two big libertarian figures who have discussed this topic a lot. Woods even had Judd Weiss (libertarian VP candidate w/ McAfee) on his show to talk about behind the scenes issues within the party.

Weiss said he thinks of the party as a place to quarantine the "bad" libertarians, let them fight with each other and never get anywhere, and then the good ones can just work outside of politics. I thought that was an interesting take.

Old 05-29-2017, 07:39 AM

31,292 posts, read 20,773,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jburress View Post
Do you consider yourself a libertarian?
Yes.

Old 05-29-2017, 07:42 AM

31,292 posts, read 20,773,122 times
Quote:

Or Mieses. Or Friedman.

I agree.

Quote:
Then again, it's possible that many people who call themselves libertarian think that libertarian means whatever they decide it means.
Yes, but isn't this true of every political party?

Old 05-29-2017, 07:50 AM

4,279 posts, read 1,908,326 times
Quote:
Are libertarians conservatives without religious values?
Yes
Yes
OP, your poll is stupid.

Old 05-29-2017, 08:16 AM

13,669 posts, read 9,744,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upgrader View Post
I used to think of myself as a libertarian; "Keep your hand out of my wallet, and your nose out of my bedroom".

As I matured, and lived through a couple of financial crashes and some health issues, I realized that we need financial and other regulations, so that now makes me a liberal. ...
Whimsy aside, a liberal would have strong faith in the perfectibility of Man, and in our capacity to rationally build powerful institutions that on the whole aim for (and achieve) good, in particular facilitating this perfectibility. A conservative would be skeptical of Man’s nature, regarding it as being intransigent and corrupt. The conservative would deny the efficacy of perfectibility, and would regard institutions aiming towards that end, as being hopelessly myopic and sinister. Instead, the conservative would rely on tradition, religion and community influence to keep people in check. A libertarian splits the difference, regarding both tradition/community and government/institutions with skepticism, figuring that whether an individual is perfectible or incorrigible, regardless, it is better to leave him/her alone, for the proverbial medicine is worse than the disease.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
...a lot of conservatives who are liberal on social issues (gay marriage, marijuana, etc) and against authoritarianism will call themselves libertarians to distance themselves from the Republicans who want a theocracy.
Somewhat off-topic, but why is there such powerful vein of authoritarianism in the modern Republican party? By way of example, consider John Dean's analysis: https://www.amazon.com/Conservatives.../dp/0670037745

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corerius View Post
Libertarians = pro open borders.
Conservatives = nationalists, pro US culture.
Excellent point. A libertarian would be skeptical of tribalism, in all of its forms - including the nation. A good example would be the pejorative term "granfalloon" on Kurt Vonnegut's "Cat's Cradle" - that is, a phony and artificial bond between people, supplanting genuine bonds. Nations matter in the libertarian sense mostly as right-sizing government.... global government would be too invasive, strictly local government too benighted. But by my reckoning, a modern libertarian would proudly wear the label of "globalist", whether in terms of free-trade and the right of business to move jobs/production to wherever profit is maximized, or the free exchange of ideas across borders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies