Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2017, 09:03 AM

3,366 posts, read 1,614,048 times

Advertisements

It is disconcerting that there is quite a bit of unnecessary vitriol in this thread, yet it seems to be accepted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
To be more specific, they need government intervention to help create high-paying jobs that don't require additional education.
Government does not create jobs or wealth for its citizens, and that is not its purpose. It can however, change taxation, regulation, resource constrictions, allow trade authority, and affect inflation in ways that provide a beneficial environment for our country's actual job creators, its people.

Old 05-28-2017, 09:04 AM

11,522 posts, read 14,696,226 times
Quote:
Serious question. Why aren't we complaining about how their communities don't value education? Why don't we expect them to retrain? Why don't we expect them to relocate, in search of work? Why do we sacrifice the water we drink and the very air we breathe so that a few thousand of them might enter the middle class?
Trump would have had to replace, "Make America Great Again," with:

"Stop Whining and go Back to School!"
"Relocate if you want your Next Best Thing!"
"Stop Poisoning our Water, Get Educated!"

Old 05-28-2017, 09:04 AM

15,665 posts, read 10,445,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Wow, are you truly that incapable of understanding my posts, or is this willful ignorance? I'm not defending stereotyping, I'm pointing out how selectively it is used against only groups you don't like. If you are not able to understand that, there's nothing more I can say.
JAMS, I completely understand your point and disagree with your rationalizations. You fail to see the hypocrisy of defending stereotyping as acceptable when it suits your argument.

Old 05-28-2017, 09:05 AM

6,326 posts, read 6,614,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
When did the rejection of self-pity become narcissism?

"I would do better if the man weren't keeping me down."
I would not consider sticking your head deep down the hole of circular reasoning to be a rejection of self-pity, it is just sticking your head in a hole to hide from the uninspiring complexities around you. You are so desperate for a mental cocoon and afgirmatuon you cannot write even a couple of sentences without relying on obvious circular reasoning.

Old 05-28-2017, 09:05 AM

5,722 posts, read 5,813,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Poor/low income whites believe that the only thing stopping them from taking their rightful place on top of the totem pole is black and brown people. They are masters at playing the blame game as you can even see on this very forum.

But the Republican party need these people to win elections so every two to four years they rattle their cage with the same rhetoric...gun rights, welfare reform (which a huge percentage of these people are on but think that welfare reform means kicking black and brown off only), affirmative action (which benefits white women more than any other group), crime and drugs (the unspoken heroine epidemic in rural white America which no one seems to want to discuss).

So the reason that lower and working class whites aren't required or asked to lift themselves up is because they don't believe that they need to do so. They just need to get 'others' out of their way and then people with 10th grade educations will all have jobs in factories and coal mines making $80k plus per year.
I've never seen a poor white person blame a black person for being poor that's honestly one of the dumbest thing I've ever read on here. Most poor white people and poor black people are poor for the same reasons.

Again people really need to get out of the their little bubble that they live in and actually learn about how people are across the country.

This is one of the biggest problems in our country imo. People that live in a bubble and never leave it.

Old 05-28-2017, 09:07 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,990,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
Why don't people like you leave your little racially segregated white neighborhood in whatever blue county you live in and see the rest of the country?
In case you didn't know, the rust belt was always blue but since the Democrats are idiots and support corporate shills like Hillary, they lose!
I happen to be Black. My neighborhood is about 35% non-white, and I'm three blocks away from a predominantly black neighborhood, where I spend a lot of time. You must have me confused with someone else.

Old 05-28-2017, 09:08 AM

18,982 posts, read 9,112,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
JAMS, I completely understand your point and disagree with your rationalizations. You fail to see the hypocrisy of defending stereotyping as acceptable when it suits your argument.
No, you obviously don't understand my point. I agree that all stereotyping is unacceptable, no matter who is doing it. I'm just pointing out that such stereotyping happens routinely right here on C-D when it comes to minorities--because it suits their argument, and that seems to be perfectly acceptable to a lot of posters here, but they get upset when it is turned back on them.

Old 05-28-2017, 09:09 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,691,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
I would not consider sticking your head deep down the hole of circular reasoning to be a rejection of self-pity, it is just sticking your head in a hole to hide from the uninspiring complexities around you. You are so desperate for a mental cocoon and afgirmatuon you cannot write even a couple of sentences without relying on obvious circular reasoning.
Sorry if I didn't bring a present to your pity party.

For most people who claim they can't improve their situation, it comes down to spending their time coming up with excuses instead of a plan to make a change and working to implement it.

Old 05-28-2017, 09:10 AM

6,326 posts, read 6,614,679 times
Bootstrapping was and is huge among working class whites and whomever color. They were lead to believe that the only way to a "better" life is class escape. Thus everybody stopped fighting and started bootstrapping (themselves or their kids), with mindsets like that the race to the bottom is the the only possible social outcome.

Old 05-28-2017, 09:10 AM

37,961 posts, read 17,937,425 times
Quote:
Serious question. Why aren't we complaining about how their communities don't value education? Why don't we expect them to retrain? Why don't we expect them to relocate, in search of work? Why do we sacrifice the water we drink and the very air we breathe so that a few thousand of them might enter the middle class?
Maybe government can come up with a civil rights act for them and make them a protected group so they'll get advantages when it comes to hiring and education.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies