Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2017, 09:12 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,541,024 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
I've never seen a poor white person blame a black person for being poor that's honestly one of the dumbest thing I've ever read on here.

Again people really need to get out of the their little bubble that they live in and actually learn about how people are across the country.

This is one of the biggest problems in our country imo. People that live in a bubble and never leave it.
Really? Remember the old 'welfare mom's and Obamaphone arguments? Taking those hard earned tax dollars from the white middle class to give them to the undeserving brown people? Raygun actually perfected that argument but it remains with us today.

I've lived in big cities, and small towns in the south and in Appalachia. They are the ones who are constantly bitching and moaning about the 'coastal elites'. We also see that on this forum.

Getting out of our bubble applies to ALL including poor white people. If you agree to that - then i agree we all need to get out more.

Old 05-28-2017, 09:15 AM

6,326 posts, read 6,595,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Sorry if I didn't bring a present to your pity party.

For most people who claim they can't improve their situation, it comes down to spending their time coming up with excuses instead of a plan to make a change and working to implement it.
repeating the same circular reasoning line several times does not make your point any better. You've made an obviously circular statement, an absurd circular statement considering socio economic reality of ours. If circular reasoning is all it takes to rock your narcissistic boat - enjoy.

Old 05-28-2017, 09:17 AM

5,722 posts, read 5,802,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Really? Remember the old 'welfare mom's and Obamaphone arguments? Taking those hard earned tax dollars from the white middle class to give them to the undeserving brown people? Raygun actually perfected that argument but it remains with us today.

I've lived in big cities, and small towns in the south and in Appalachia. They are the ones who are constantly bitching and moaning about the 'coastal elites'. We also see that on this forum.

Getting out of our bubble applies to ALL including poor white people. If you agree to that - then i agree we all need to get out more.
Most people on the west coast do live in a bubble imo so the people whining about coastal elites have a valid position. Whereas people in other parts of the country travel more and see more of the country.

I've been to the west coast, but I never stumble across anyone in my area that's from the west coast. So I can comment on the west coast, but they can't comment on my area because they've never been here. See the difference?

Old 05-28-2017, 09:18 AM

5,913 posts, read 3,188,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Serious question. Why aren't we complaining about how their communities don't value education? Why don't we expect them to retrain? Why don't we expect them to relocate, in search of work? Why do we sacrifice the water we drink and the very air we breathe so that a few thousand of them might enter the middle class?
They are White.

Old 05-28-2017, 09:18 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,631,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
repeating the same circular reasoning line several times does not make your point any better. You've made an obviously circular statement, and absurd circular statement considering socio economic reality of ours. If circular reasoning is all takes to rock your narcissistic boat - enjoy.
If only you spend this much energy to improve your situation.

Old 05-28-2017, 09:22 AM

1,768 posts, read 1,638,983 times
Quit doing drugs
Quit being entitled
Quit being alcoholics
Learn some skills
Find God

This is what the people need.

TRUMP can't save them as long as they continue to engage in self-destructive behaviors

Old 05-28-2017, 09:23 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,541,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
Most people on the west coast do live in a bubble imo so the people whining about coastal elites have a valid position. Whereas people in other parts of the country travel more and see more of the country.

I've been to the west coast, but I never stumble across anyone in my area that's from the west coast. So I can comment on the west coast, but they can't comment on my area because they've never been here. See the difference?
This is just flat out false. Many people from the west coast came from your area!

I see you want only one side to try and understand the other. Truly, a waste of my time if we aren't ALL going to try.

Most of my friends/family in my former state of WV have never been to Chicago, California, or NYC. They head to Myrtle Beach in the summer and that's it.

IF they aren't going to try - why should anyone else?

Old 05-28-2017, 09:26 AM

6,326 posts, read 6,595,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
If only you spend this much energy to improve your situation.
It is politics not self-help forum, politics deals with society at large. Your circular reasoning may make some sense on the individual level, albeit it is always sad seeing people to turn off their minds and soul, but on the society wide scale bootstrapping circularity you employ was and is unmitigated disaster and it could not be any other way in a class society.

Old 05-28-2017, 09:26 AM

1,768 posts, read 1,638,983 times
Quote:
This is just flat out false. Many people from the west coast came from your area!

I see you want only one side to try and understand the other. Truly, a waste of my time if we aren't ALL going to try.

Most of my friends/family in my former state of WV have never been to Chicago, California, or NYC. They head to Myrtle Beach in the summer and that's it.

IF they aren't going to try - why should anyone else?

A large percentage of us in the Bay Area are from other parts of the country. They are everywhere.
I'm from rural Kansas and my neighbor is from rural PA. just two examples

Why do we move here to the Bay? To work, get educated, and pursue a better life. I would never be where I'm at if I stayed in rural Kansas. People have to make the conscious decision to succeed.

Old 05-28-2017, 09:36 AM

19,652 posts, read 12,239,759 times
Quote:

They cannot afford to leave their bubble. Maybe inner city poor should get out more too?

First time I saw a TRULY poor area, I was confused because the poverty I saw growing up was nothing compared to deep grinding poverty I observed in third world countries and in parts of the southern US. I also experienced bigotry in the deep south for being from the north, to the point of feeling afraid. I learned because I had time and resources to travel and wanted to be exposed to real life in other places. I didn't expect them to "understand" me, they were obviously very poor and isolated and this was what they knew.

To be fair, coastal elites isn't a term rural people made up. Saturday Night Live even parodied itself in the Bubble skit. It's a real thing and this "shock" election proved it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies