Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Acceptance of evolution vs climate science
I accept evolution and climate science 121 68.36%
I accept evolution but deny climate science 38 21.47%
I deny evolution but accept climate science 4 2.26%
I deny evolution and climate science 14 7.91%
Voters: 177. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2017, 07:04 AM

937 posts, read 699,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
I didn't evolve from a monkey .
Yea, it would be an insult to monkeys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2017, 08:26 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,478,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
So what is causing the current warming in the past century, cycles don't just happen there are reasons.
Why are we warming now if not for the increased CO2 levels.
we have been warming for the last 16000 years since the peak of the last ice age...

the past 1 century is part of that 160 centuries...and we are not to the point of the average peak of the inter-glacial periods of the past.... todays average global temp is about 58'f...the last 20 interglacial periods have peaked about 73'f

man has nothing to do with the natural cycles....

Old 06-11-2017, 08:35 AM

38,643 posts, read 26,371,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
For this poll, "climate science" refers to the overwhelming scientific consensus that the planet is warming and humans are contributing. Evolution refers to Darwinian evolution, not micro-evolution or any other creationist spin on it. Do you accept evolution and climate science? Do you accept one and not the other? Do you accept neither?

The theory of CAGW has evolved from 1980s acid rain and save the whales campaigns, just as Darwin predicted!

It could spontaneously mutate into something more ridiculous and manipulative but that will require a hippie drum circle, a hacky-sack and weed brownies.

Old 06-11-2017, 08:56 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,452,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
The theory of CAGW has evolved from 1980s acid rain and save the whales campaigns ...!
This is a product of your imagination. You could study the issue a little bit first.

From BBC ...

1957 - US oceanographer Roger Revelle and chemist Hans Suess show that seawater will not absorb all the additional CO2 entering the atmosphere, as many had assumed. Revelle writes: "Human beings are now carrying out a large scale geophysical experiment..."

1958 - Using equipment he had developed himself, Charles David (Dave) Keeling begins systematic measurements of atmospheric CO2 at Mauna Loa in Hawaii and in Antarctica. Within four years, the project - which continues today - provides the first unequivocal proof that CO2 concentrations are rising.

1975 - US scientist Wallace Broecker puts the term "global warming" into the public domain in the title of a scientific paper.

1989 - UK Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher - possessor of a chemistry degree - warns in a speech to the UN that "We are seeing a vast increase in the amount of carbon dioxide reaching the atmosphere... The result is that change in future is likely to be more fundamental and more widespread than anything we have known hitherto." She calls for a global treaty on climate change.

1992 - At the Earth Summit in Rio de Janeiro, governments agree the United Framework Convention on Climate Change. Its key objective is "stabilization of greenhouse gas concentrations in the atmosphere at a level that would prevent dangerous anthropogenic interference with the climate system". Developed countries agree to return their emissions to 1990 levels.

Most of us, and I include myself here, did not understand or concern ourselves with climate change predictions for decades. It does require one to be seriously engaged and willing to learn.

Skeptical Science ...

It might be worthwhile to note that no Chinese nationals are revealed in this early research. In case you were wondering.
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
It could spontaneously mutate into something more ridiculous and manipulative but that will require a hippie drum circle, a hacky-sack and weed brownies.
Your bias is showing, better zip up ...

Old 06-11-2017, 09:11 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,478,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
This is a product of your imagination. You could study the issue a little bit first.

From BBC ...

1958 - Using equipment he had developed himself, Charles David (Dave) Keeling begins systematic measurements of atmospheric CO2 at Mauna Loa in Hawaii and in Antarctica. Within four years, the project - which continues today - provides the first unequivocal proof that CO2 concentrations are rising.

1975 - US scientist Wallace Broecker puts the term "global warming" into the public domain in the title of a scientific paper.

1989 - UK Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher - possessor of a chemistry degree - warns in a speech to the UN that "We are seeing a vast increase in the amount of carbon dioxide reaching the atmosphere... The result is that change in future is likely to be more fundamental and more widespread than anything we have known hitherto." She calls for a global treaty on climate change.

1992 - At the Earth Summit in Rio de Janeiro, governments agree the United Framework Convention on Climate Change. Its key objective is "stabilization of greenhouse gas concentrations in the atmosphere at a level that would prevent dangerous anthropogenic interference with the climate system". Developed countries agree to return their emissions to 1990 levels.[/b][/color][/font]

oh please

do we humans pollute...yes
do we humans waste...yes
do we humans overdevelop and cut trees(a natural radiant cooler and co2 user/o2 PRODUCER)...yes

are we humans the cause of the earths climate changes........NO

I live right on the shore on Long Island...long Island was CREATED by the last glaciers.....did we CAUSE the warming 10's of thousands of years ago to melt the glaciers????

The ancient Greek philosopher Plato(427-347 BC), wrote about major climate changes in his day.
when writing to "Timaeus," he argued global warming occurs at regular intervals, often leading to great floods.

Plato's student, Aristotle (384 BC to 322 BC), also recorded evidence of global warming in his work, "Meteorologica."

In the first century AD, an ancient Roman named Columella wrote an agricultural treatise called, "De re rustica." In it, he discussed global warming that had turned areas once too cold for agriculture into thriving farm communities. Columella cites an authority named Saserna who recorded many such cases. According to Saserna, "regions which formerly, because of the unremitting severity of winter, could not safeguard any shoot of the vine or the olive planted in them, now that the earlier coldness has abated and weather is becoming more clement, produce olive harvests and the vintages of Bacchus [wine] in greatest abundance."

In the Middle Ages, people began recording the temperature and climate-related phenomena, such as the dates when plants began to blossom annually.

We know that during a warm period, the Vikings established settlements in Greenland where perpetual ice had previously covered the land. Ancient Norse records tell us these settlements were abandoned after 1250 when falling temperatures made farming less viable and spreading ice in the sea made transportation more difficult.

sorry but your fascist rhetoric about the natural cycles being man-made is false

Old 06-11-2017, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
oh please

sorry but your fascist rhetoric about the natural cycles being man-made is false
I never stated that the natural cycles are man made. Perhaps you do not understand the science.

The problem is what we humans in our modern economy are adding to the natural cycles.

I will not stoop to calling your willful ignorance fascist, or anything like that.

Old 06-11-2017, 10:02 AM

Quote:

man has nothing to do with the natural cycles....
But, that doesn't mean man has nothing to do with speeding up change.

Republicans only care about $$$. If something costs them more, they are against it. Period, no matter how justified it is.

Old 06-11-2017, 10:04 AM

Quote:
I live right on the shore on Long Island...long Island was CREATED by the last glaciers
When your island is swallowed up by the ocean, we will have the last laugh.

Old 06-11-2017, 10:16 AM

Quote:
I live right on the shore on Long Island...long Island was CREATED by the last glaciers...
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post
When your island is swallowed up by the ocean, we will have the last laugh.
Well, I hope it doesn't come to that, but yeah.

I wouldn't want refugees from New York pouring into my part of the country, roaming the streets and begging for handouts. Talk about SHTF!

Old 06-11-2017, 10:21 AM

You might have a point there, especially the snobs from Long Island.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies