Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2017, 08:52 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,615,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
She has no show.
Kathy Griffin's little gig with Anderson Cooper wasn't really a show either though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2017, 09:50 AM

28,675 posts, read 18,795,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Kathy Griffin's little gig with Anderson Cooper wasn't really a show either though.
That's still a contract gig. There are stand-up comics all over the cultural landscape, standing up in front of any audience wherever they can get one. It's absurd to expect who--"society"--to pounce on a run-of-the-mill obscure stand-up compared to someone with continuous television presence.

But notice how quickly they did pounce on Michael Richards--a standup who did have television presence.

Old 06-13-2017, 11:09 AM

Quote:
That's still a contract gig. There are stand-up comics all over the cultural landscape, standing up in front of any audience wherever they can get one. It's absurd to expect who--"society"--to pounce on a run-of-the-mill obscure stand-up compared to someone with continuous television presence.

But notice how quickly they did pounce on Michael Richards--a standup who did have television presence.

I suppose. Personally, I think all these witch hunts and faux outrage followed by faux apologies are absurd. They're meaningless.

I can't compare the Michael Richards incident with Griffin or Lampanelli, however. Their intention is to be funny, though Griffin crossed the line for me, since I think presidents should be treated with some amount of respect. Maher had no ill intentions, nor does Lampanelli. Michael Richards, on the other hand, referenced slavery and used the N word half a dozen times in a rant against a guy who was heckling him.

I don't have a problem with Maher or Lampanelli, but I thought Richards was just revealing who he really is.

Even if Richards had never been on television, given the rant itself I think there would have been outrage.

Of course, this is nothing more than opinion and I have nothing to base it on.

Old 06-13-2017, 12:10 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Why doesn't Lisa Lampanelli get grief for using the n word?

She's probably not a c-level celeb, like Kathy Griffin, but unless I've missed it, I don't think there's been any backlash against her.
She doesn't actually use the word, but she's said much worse TO crowds fulla black folks and they love her to death. It's strange. She's very popular.

Maybe it's like what I've always said about myself...I love racist humor and racial jokes. A LOT! Huge fan. But with one caveat: it has to be funny. That's it. Nothing more.

Black folks like Lampanelli because she's funny. It's that simple.

Old 06-13-2017, 12:13 PM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
She doesn't actually use the word, but she's said much worse TO crowds fulla black folks and they love her to death. It's strange. She's very popular.

Maybe it's like what I've always said about myself...I love racist humor and racial jokes. A LOT! Huge fan. But with one caveat: it has to be funny. That's it. Nothing more.

My daughter just saw her and said she was very funny, with biting social commentary, without being offensive.

Old 06-13-2017, 12:14 PM

28,675 posts, read 18,795,274 times
Quote:

Actually, that is a point. Actually being funny--that is, having made an accurate observation of reality and being on target with skewering its absurdity-- can give a comic a pass even with the n-word.

Old 06-13-2017, 12:23 PM

Quote:

Okay, that makes a lot of sense. I thought I've heard her use the n word, but maybe I'm confusing her with someone else.

What you've written reminds me of Richard Pryor. Man, everybody I knew thought he was funny and nobody was offended by anything he said no matter how blue it got. Funny and no ill intent. I still laugh at his old stuff more than I laugh at anything else.

I remember watching Eddie Murphy - the special where he's wearing a red leather suit and he did the ice cream cone bit? That was funny and we laughed our behinds off, but I still missed Richard Pryor after seeing it.

Old 06-13-2017, 12:49 PM
Jza

259 posts, read 379,850 times
Here Maher discusses acquiring his courage to discuss religion in his material using George Carlin as an example.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLIwE9dRHDs

Fine. I also was a fan of most of what Carlin had to say. But this is also Carlin (warning if you are sensitive and all that stuff):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXWBvB4U-cA

So Maher's icon for comedy Carlin's opinions and views enlightened Bill Maher back then, but now he's a bobble head on his own show when Ice Cube dresses him down. What a sucker. I always liked that Bill Maher spoke his mind whether I agreed with him or not. My participation in this discussion has more to do with what a clown Bill Maher's made himself to be, rather than the gasp...n-word (oh no!).

George Jefferson and Archie Bunker would be killing some feelings today.

Old 06-13-2017, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Actually, that is a point. Actually being funny--that is, having made an accurate observation of reality and being on target with skewering its absurdity-- can give a comic a pass even with the n-word.
Well that explains it all, since the operative word is *funny*.

Old 06-13-2017, 01:47 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Quote:
Okay, that makes a lot of sense. I thought I've heard her use the n word, but maybe I'm confusing her with someone else.

What you've written reminds me of Richard Pryor. Man, everybody I knew thought he was funny and nobody was offended by anything he said no matter how blue it got. Funny and no ill intent. I still laugh at his old stuff more than I laugh at anything else.

I remember watching Eddie Murphy - the special where he's wearing a red leather suit and he did the ice cream cone bit? That was funny and we laughed our behinds off, but I still missed Richard Pryor after seeing it.
Yep...if you're actually funny, you can pull off just about anything. Maher is hilarious, I just think he handled the aftermath wrong.

Black folks will pay good money to see Lampanelli crush them to death on stage because she's really good at it. I've seen her a bunch of times and it's amazing how well she goes over. The stuff she says is way worse than the N-word by a long shot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies