Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2017, 09:38 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,522,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Charger View Post
Because the salt of the earth rural folk do all the heavy lifting.
Such as?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2017, 09:39 PM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
We also have lakes and rivers. I'm going to the lake tomorrow to go kayaking, only a 10 minute drive away.
In the Atlanta area, if you want to go canoeing or kayaking, the Chattahoochee River is right there. Minneapolis has lakes IN its city limits. Seattle, its existence is related to water. Lake on one side of the city, the Puget Sound on the other side. No need to live in rural areas to have such activities. Just got to pick the right city.

Old 06-08-2017, 10:01 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,026,533 times
Pfft, we're all "real Americans". Us rural folks are just surrounded by more land than people and have crappier Internet.

Although we really do not appreciate being called uneducated, racists, etc just because we live in rural areas, for what it's worth. If the Democrats keep saying that about rural folks, it's going to be hard to win those areas in the future.

Old 06-08-2017, 10:18 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,473,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
In other words, Prole kitsch. Americana, evidently, is not the novels of Herman Melville or the poetry of Emily Dickinson. It’s “Big Boys”, rather than fine restaurants serving freshly-caught fish from the Gulf Coast, or Maine lobsters, with California wine. It’s Harley Davidson, rather than Duesenberg or Tesla. It’s “small baseball fields near cornfields”, rather than, say, a chess tournament.

And let me continue: it’s the high school football team – not the math team. It’s 16-packs of Bud Lite, not craft brew from a local microbrewery. It’s the local country station, rather than the public-radio station, which plays classical music and NPR.

Somehow the Right has painted the Left as being all about gender-ambiguity, mixed-use bathrooms, speech-codes, shrill protesters, stupid tattoos, sexual identity politics, punitive anti-business regulation, welfare and food-stamps, men with ponytails and women with buzz-cuts.

Well, here’s a newsflash: the real Left is John Locke, David Hume, Adam Smith, John Stewart Mill, Robert Ingersoll, and more recently, Bertrand Russell. The real Left embraces human perfectibility and universality, arguing that the lessons of the past, however informative, are not dispositive. The real left embraces innovation and automation, international trade, free flow of capital and labor. The real left values privacy and personal dignity, independent of tribe or nation, church or community, tradition or fashion. Most importantly, the real Left realizes that ossified doctrine, whether in a “holy” book or a political document, is a best a useful guide and a set of examples and counterexamples. It is never infallible, absolute or irrefutable. Ethics, justice and the law are living entities, adapting to time and place, and contingent on the vagaries of circumstance and interpretation.
Bravo!

Old 06-09-2017, 05:59 AM

2,953 posts, read 2,901,347 times
Fortunately I still live in real America untouched by the crooked finger of Leftism. I don't have to remember what once was because what once was still is.

Old 06-09-2017, 06:01 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
And you guys pay attention to Sarah Palin?
well i sort of had to, because she was the Republican Party Vice Presidential nominee for a while. She could've ended up in a position of power had Obama not been elected.

Old 06-09-2017, 08:49 AM

36,530 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorman View Post
You forgot extreme poverty, alcoholism, drug abuse, collecting disability instead of working, poor health care and undereducated. That is the reality of Real America, not your "Leave it to Beaver" BS.
I think everyone is stereotyping a little much. I don't think there is any state or area that doesn't have both the good and bad elements of society. Both urban and rural communities have their distinct advantages and disadvantages. Some are drawn to one and some to another.

Old 06-09-2017, 09:39 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,924,987 times
I grew up in a rural area. All the farming and manufacturing work was gone before I was even born. The residents there (included my parents) all commuted 2-3 hours to the nearest metro for work everyday.

Old 06-09-2017, 10:24 AM

4,750 posts, read 3,567,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansProof View Post
Oh, you mean the Democratic party 100 years ago?

Can't they get anything right
No, Trump supporters now . . . and now . . . and now . . .

Old 06-09-2017, 10:26 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,641,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
I grew up in a rural area. All the farming and manufacturing work was gone before I was even born. The residents there (included my parents) all commuted 2-3 hours to the nearest metro for work everyday.
I couldn't put up with that for long. I couldn't live with all that time taken out of my life while having a HUGE gas bill. My friend got tired of commuting for two hours in a round trip each day to work and after a year was happy to find a similar job in town. Now her daily round trip commute is only around 10 minutes with only one traffic light on the way.

Most of rural America has been declining in population in large part, in order to live closer to where decent paying jobs are. But then some people like my friend, don't have to move to a metro area to get a good job in their field.

Last edited by StillwaterTownie; 06-09-2017 at 10:35 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies