Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 12:30 PM

3,255 posts, read 5,080,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post

HOW DOES THIS SYMBOL MAKE YOU FEEL?

When you see this Symbol, what comes to mind? What are your first thoughts? Why do you think that? Please stay on topic.. and no Personal Attacks, keep this about the symbol and not about the person responding.
Feudalism and defeat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2008, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern_Bred View Post
When i see that flag i remember the stubborn perserverence of all my family that lives in the south. My cousins who work in the tobacco fields in North Carolina or who lay bricks or are firemen or police officers. Every one of them owns the flag and they all fly it in front of their homes. It makes me think that no matter how much the south has changed (for the better i might add), the stubborn perseverance of southerners will stay the same.

Oh, and for those who say its racist, remember the flag which flew over the first slave laden boat sailing for the United States?

god forbid anyone make the same comparison
[
actually, there are many who feel that the founding father's started the nation with a stain, when they did not have the courage to end the practice from the beginning.

Old 08-17-2008, 01:00 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,478,770 times
I see it as divisive. There should be one flag that represents southern pride and that's the flag of the United States of America. I do not see the reason to have the confederate flag except for confederate cemetaries and civil war reanactments. Did the south not lose the civil war? Do the victors not set the terms?

It seems the North won the war, the south won the peace.

In the end, we must respect the first amendment.

Old 08-17-2008, 02:10 PM

3,689 posts, read 10,418,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janeannwho View Post
actually, there are many who feel that the founding father's started the nation with a stain, when they did not have the courage to end the practice from the beginning.
they tried, and had to make a compromise. The compromise was the 3/5ths statement, this allowed the north to get the amount of delegates it needed to eventually end the barbaric practice, if they put the slaves as 1 full person in the constitution then the south would always have the delegates it needed, thus more power in government to hold on to such Barbary

Old 08-17-2008, 02:15 PM

5,922 posts, read 8,066,605 times
Quote:

When you see this Symbol, what comes to mind? What are your first thoughts? Why do you think that? Please stay on topic.. and no Personal Attacks, keep this about the symbol and not about the person responding.
Biggest bunch of LOSERS this country ever created. Also a group of people especially the military leaders who broke their oaths to their country and were traitors who by rights should have been hung. In modern day usage more the symbol of the American Nazi Party.

Old 08-17-2008, 02:39 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,649,226 times
The first that comes to mind is that on any given day, you can still watch "The Dukes Of Hazzard" on cable television.

Old 08-17-2008, 03:56 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,933,771 times
It see it and honestly don't have any feelings on it either way. It strikes me as just a symbol that I have no emotions tied to. <shrug>

Old 08-18-2008, 02:35 AM

144 posts, read 608,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
The first that comes to mind is that on any given day, you can still watch "The Dukes Of Hazzard" on cable television.
Haha, I was thinking Dukes of Hazzard as well or specifically how the General Lee was going to out run Boss Hoggs men again Being born and raised in CA I don't have too much exposure to the south, other than watching one too many episodes of the Dukes of Hazzard growing up.

Old 08-18-2008, 12:29 PM

451 posts, read 835,738 times
Quote:

The Duke's of Hazzard.

Old 08-18-2008, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noahma View Post
they tried, and had to make a compromise. The compromise was the 3/5ths statement, this allowed the north to get the amount of delegates it needed to eventually end the barbaric practice, if they put the slaves as 1 full person in the constitution then the south would always have the delegates it needed, thus more power in government to hold on to such Barbary
all well and good, however the founding fathers were from the north and south, so no matter how you slice it, saying people were only 3/5 people, keeping slavery alive and well was an act of cowardice and it is an historical stain on the good works of those involved
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies