Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2017, 06:22 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,036,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Again, it is if they are out in public, know how to speak English and don't keep it private. Yes, really, IMO.
When you lived in a different country, you didn't speak English in public? Wow, that's amazing. Literally every ex pat I know speaks their mother tongue with fellow language speakers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2017, 06:25 PM

62,889 posts, read 29,114,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
When you lived in a different country, you didn't speak English in public? Wow, that's amazing. Literally every ex pat I know speaks their mother tongue with fellow language speakers.

I never lived in a foreign country and I have no desire to. As I said, it depends on the tone of voice and if the conversation is kept private or not.

Old 06-12-2017, 06:48 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,036,104 times
So you just want to eavesdrop. Got it.

Old 06-12-2017, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
So you just want to eavesdrop. Got it.

Wrong! And I stated that already in another post. I don't care what the topic of the conversation is in a foreign tongue. I just don't want to have to listen to loud foreign babble out in public when it's evident they know how to speak English or when they refuse to learn English. Drop it already, will you? You're the one who refuses to get it!

Old 06-12-2017, 07:04 PM

25,578 posts, read 56,463,917 times
Non-English speaking is a huge pet peeve for me. This is not Europe where each country is the size of one of our states - where each country has its own language and culture. This is the United States of America, where, up until recently, the question of which language to speak was never an issue. Nor, should it ever be.

The citizens in this country have a right to expect that when visiting stores, restaurants, and making phone calls they can speak English and be understood, and be responded to in intelligible English. Businesses which cater to the public should not hire people who are not fluent in English - I don't care if they are located in "little" [name your country]. Period.

From PBS:
Quote:
The definition of an official language is one that has been specifically designated in the Constitution of a country or territory. Officially recognized languages are often mistaken for official languages.

According to the online reference Wikipedia, half the countries of the world have official languages.
Moderator cut: copyright violation

Do You Speak American . Sea to Shining Sea . Official American | PBS
I am 75 y/o. Great grandparents on my father's side were German immigrants - came here in the late 1880's, grandparents on mother's side were both from Croatia, arrived here in 1910. My Croatian grandmother never could speak English very well, grandfather died when I was fairly young - don't remember him. My maternal aunt, daughter of the Croatian grandparents born in the US in 1913, continually harangued her mother about her poor English until she died in the mid-1960's. All of us kids/cousins, of course, spoke English because our parents did.

I'm not exposed to this issue as much as states like CA, TX, AZ, FL, etc. Nonetheless, it has driven me crazy for years to listen to Espanol #2 before I can begin choosing prompts on a phone. Fwiw, non-US-based tech help has long ago forced me to solve my own computer issues. Google is a great tool. I never call tech support for anything and haven't for years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I just don't want to have to listen to loud foreign babble out in public when it's evident they know how to speak English or when they refuse to learn English.
I agree with this, too. Certain stores I avoid these days for this reason. It is beyond annoying.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 06-12-2017 at 09:16 PM..

Old 06-12-2017, 08:14 PM

1,769 posts, read 1,232,894 times
i have lived in so cal my whole life too and i completely agree chowhound.

in my experience, i see that it is primarily spanish speakers that do not want to learn or speak english, and why should they? look at all of the products that on the package are written in english and spanish. especially food stuff with directions and nutrition information...nearly everything now is written in english and spanish. medications, clothes with washing directions and materials, cleaning supplies, etc. i could go on. we are making it easier and easier for them to not even need to learn or speak english at all.

Old 06-12-2017, 08:17 PM

22,284 posts, read 21,718,518 times
Wondering if Canadians get so bent out of shape about the 22% of them who insist on speaking French. I hear the whole country is a bilingual horror show.

Old 06-12-2017, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachie123 View Post
i have lived in so cal my whole life too and i completely agree chowhound.

in my experience, i see that it is primarily spanish speakers that do not want to learn or speak english, and why should they? look at all of the products that on the package are written in english and spanish. especially food stuff with directions and nutrition information...nearly everything now is written in english and spanish. medications, clothes with washing directions and materials, cleaning supplies, etc. i could go on. we are making it easier and easier for them to not even need to learn or speak english at all.

Exactly!

Old 06-12-2017, 09:22 PM

52,221 posts, read 52,642,422 times
Mrs. Chow's dad like I mentioned was full Mexican and his GF was too. Those two would start in on the illegal immigration issue and not learning English and it almost sounded like a Klan meeting. I'm just joking around but these two were older and old school and really preached integrations and becoming Americans and was flat out was rude toward Mexican Immigrants who didn't bother to assimilate. I was sorta taken back by the militantness for lack of another word to describe it at times.

IDK, I'm not a person that goes overboard with pro-American rhetoric but these two really had a good grasp of the power of being in the nation that provides for you.

Again, I get that learning language is hard, I really do get that. I think it's just that spirit seems to be lacking in these modern times. Decades ago it was all about America, now it just seems like what can America give me... instead of what can I bring to America.....

Old 06-12-2017, 09:46 PM

37,131 posts, read 42,196,846 times
English has been the official language of California for over 30 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies