Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2017, 10:06 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,980,917 times

Advertisements

Just curious, does anyone really believe that the elected POTUS serving these current 4 years is going to accomplish anything (other than maybe SCOTUS nominee(s) ) and if not, do they really believe that Hillary would have been any different?

I ask because I see this as the problem, you have Trump mired in Russia and family member conflicts so it looks like nothing is going to get done, but would we have been in a similar situation with Hillary and more Benghazi, eMail, and Clinton foundation investigations, not to mention whatever would have had Republicans riled up about potential roles for Chelsea and Bill in that administration?

Has the US Federal Government just really become one long drawn out game of drag your feet and beat the clock until you think its your turn to legislate?

The question is how do you break this cycle, my first and admittedly biased thought as someone who leans more Libertarian is to push for stronger third parties and making it slightly easier for them to be involved in the real process. Not looking to have a system with 73 parties, but 3-4 might help alleviate some of the "my team or nothing" mentality.

Any other thoughts on how to fix this mess, or do you not believe it to be the same mess that I'm seeing, which is also fine, just curious to get some thoughts on how you break the cycle of "do nothing" we seem to be stuck with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2017, 08:09 PM

711 posts, read 933,350 times
A great thread. A few items I noticed. Many people chose Trump as the best of two not very good candidates.

1- We have a system which has not brought the cream to the top. Many unethical and flawed people find ways too numerous to mention to get on the ballot.
2- Our electoral system is unfair---the powers that be are entrenched and won't budge. The electoral vote elected the Pres.
3- Third parties need to expand somehow and the political power needs to move the entrenched circles of power out.
4- Some incentive must be found to enable and encourage the capable, but unwilling to be political candidates.
5- We need to establish a way for a less than wealthy person to run. When did a middle-class person last occupy the WH ?
6- I have seen many times when a comparatively honest public servant gets run over and out by the unscrupulous. Familiar?
7- We need to do our homework--check voting records--write letters--try to learn all you can about a candidate. Corruption kills a society eventually.

I'm sure there are many more. However if we fail to improve we will indeed be surpassed. When ethics, manners, and morals are no longer important it accelerates decline to third world status. I hope we can head it off, however the last decade has not looked promising.

Old 06-13-2017, 08:21 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,173,018 times
Burn it to the ground.

Old 06-13-2017, 08:24 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,125,198 times
Bernie was our only hope for meaningful change for the Everyman. Hillary is a joke and Trump is retarded.

Old 06-13-2017, 09:31 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,645,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
Just curious, does anyone really believe that the elected POTUS serving these current 4 years is going to accomplish anything (other than maybe SCOTUS nominee(s) ) and if not, do they really believe that Hillary would have been any different?

I ask because I see this as the problem, you have Trump mired in Russia and family member conflicts so it looks like nothing is going to get done, but would we have been in a similar situation with Hillary and more Benghazi, eMail, and Clinton foundation investigations, not to mention whatever would have had Republicans riled up about potential roles for Chelsea and Bill in that administration?

Has the US Federal Government just really become one long drawn out game of drag your feet and beat the clock until you think its your turn to legislate?

The question is how do you break this cycle, my first and admittedly biased thought as someone who leans more Libertarian is to push for stronger third parties and making it slightly easier for them to be involved in the real process. Not looking to have a system with 73 parties, but 3-4 might help alleviate some of the "my team or nothing" mentality.

Any other thoughts on how to fix this mess, or do you not believe it to be the same mess that I'm seeing, which is also fine, just curious to get some thoughts on how you break the cycle of "do nothing" we seem to be stuck with.

The only thing stagnated is the Democrat party as a whole.
Even with Russia, Russia, Russia, chit is getting argued and done.

Counting the number of laws he’s signed, President Donald Trump has been more productive in his first 100 days than any president since Harry Truman, according to press secretary Sean Spicer.
"Despite the historic obstruction by Senate Democrats, he's worked with Congress to pass more legislation in his first 100 days than any president since Truman, and these bills deliver on some of his most significant promises to the American people," Spicer said at the White House daily press briefing April 25.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-me...any-president/

Old 06-13-2017, 10:43 PM

8,886 posts, read 4,585,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Bernie was our only hope for meaningful change for the Everyman. Hillary is a joke and Trump is retarded.
Retarded? Your use of that slur says more about you than it does about our President Trump. Sad, just sad.

And there is that pesky fact that President Trump outwitted your sainted Bernie, Hillary, the DNC and the RNC. Bigly and Covfefe.

Hoot

Old 06-13-2017, 11:21 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,661,250 times
The witch hunt going on in congress is not going to encourage the best people wanting to get involved in government.

Gov. isn't like instant coffee. Six months and being up against massive democrat obstruction and he is still getting things done.
One of the items under his control, veteran healthcare, and he is making good progress with that bill ( should be signed next week ) to allow people to be fired much easier if they aren't preforming.
He got us out of TPP, and the disastrous Paris Accord.

The democrats slow rolled all Trump appointments and they had to use the nuclear option to get his appointment of SCOTUS.

The Trump administration is actually getting quite a lot done just with EO's.

An order reversing some Obama-era offshore drilling restrictions and ordering a review of limits on drilling locations. *
A memo ordering an investigation into whether aluminum imports are hurting national security.*
An order meant to improve accountability and whistleblower protections for Veterans Affairs employees.
An order directing a review of national monument designations under prior administrations.
An order meant to affirm local control of school policies, and examine certain Department of Education regulations and guidance to determine their compliance with federal law.*
An order directing a task force to review regulations affecting the agriculture industry.*
An order and two memoranda empowering Treasury Secretary Mnuchin to move toward tax reform and end portions of the Dodd-Frank financial reform.
A memo ordering an investigation into whether foreign steel is hurting national security.
An order directing federal agencies to review the use of the H-1B visa program.
Two orders on trade; one requesting the Commerce Dept. report on the factors behind the trade deficit and another seeking to increase collection of duties on imports.
An order establishing the President’s Commission on Combating Drug Addiction and the Opioid Crisis.*
An order initiating a review of the Clean Power Plan, which restricted greenhouse gas emissions at coal-fired power plants.
An order revoking Obama-era executive orders on federal contracting.
An order directing a top-to-bottom audit of the Executive Branch.
A revised order suspending the refugee program and entry to the U.S. for travelers from several mostly Muslim countries, in response to objections from courts. As before, the order will suspend refugee entries for 120 days, but doesn't suspend Syrian refugees indefinitely and no longer includes Iraq in the named countries. In signing this order, the original one was revoked.
An order moving the HBCU (Historically Black College and Universities) offices back from the Department of Education to the White House.
An order requiring every agency to establish a Regulatory Reform Task Force to evaluate regulations and recommend rules for repeal or modification.*
Three orders*establishing three Department of Justice task forces to fight drug cartels, reduce violent crime and reduce attacks against police.
An order directing the Treasury secretary to review the 2010 Dodd-Frank financial regulatory law.
A memorandum instructing the Labor Department to delay implementing an Obama rule requiring financial professionals who are giving advice on retirement, and who charge commissions, to put their client's interests first.
An order instructing agencies that whenever they introduce a regulation, they must first abolish two others.
A memorandum to restructure the National Security Council and the Homeland Security Council.
A memorandum directing the Secretary of Defense to draw up a plan within 30 days to defeat ISIS.
An order to lengthen the ban on administration officials working as lobbyists. There is now a 5 year-ban on officials becoming lobbyists after they leave government, and a lifetime ban on White House officials lobbying on behalf of a foreign government.
An executive order imposing a 120-day suspension of the refugee program and a 90-day ban on travel to the U.S. from citizens of seven terror hot spots: Iraq, Iran, Syria, Libya, Yemen, Somalia and Sudan.
Two multi-pronged orders on border security and immigration enforcement including: the authorization of a U.S.-Mexico border wall; the stripping of federal grant money to sanctuary cities; hiring 5,000 more Border Patrol agents; ending “catch-and-release” policies for illegal immigrants; and reinstating local and state immigration enforcement
partnerships.
A memorandum calling for a 30-day review of military readiness.
Two orders reviving the Keystone XL pipeline and Dakota Access piplines. He also signed three other related orders that would: expedite the environmental permitting process for infrastructure projects related to the pipelines; direct the Commerce Department to streamline the manufacturing permitting process; and give the Commerce Department 180 days to maximize the use of U.S. steel in
the pipeline.
An order to reinstate the so-called "Mexico City Policy" – a ban on federal funds to international groups that perform abortions or lobby to legalize or promote abortion. The policy was instituted in 1984 by President Reagan, but has gone into and out of effect depending on the party in power in the White House.
A notice that the U.S. will begin withdrawing from the Trans-Pacific Partnership trade deal. Trump called the order "a great thing for the American worker.
An order imposing a hiring freeze for some federal government workers as a way to shrink the size of government. This excludes the military, as Trump noted at the signing.
An order that directs federal agencies to ease the “regulatory burdens” of ObamaCare. It orders agencies to “waive, defer, grant exemptions from, or delay the implementation of any provision or requirement” of ObamaCare that imposes a “fiscal burden on any State or a cost, fee, tax, penalty, or regulatory burden on individuals, families, healthcare providers, health insurers, patients, recipients of healthcare services, purchasers of health insurance, or makers of medical devices, products, or medications.”

Old 06-14-2017, 12:32 AM

2,974 posts, read 1,985,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
...yeah, he's the only hope, lol!...the bernster left with that million dollar bag of money he made in '16...laughing his ass off at the nit wits who supported him, even after he took a giant sh*t on them by endorsing hillary...

Old 06-14-2017, 12:36 AM

34,279 posts, read 19,380,515 times
3rd party candidate that wins presidency, who is one of the good ones who focuses on corruption, and is clean as clean can be himself.

Sadly reality will never trend that way.

Or a massively well funded campaign to change our voting system to ranked choice voting. I think that would be insanely good for our country, and could be done state by state.

Old 06-14-2017, 08:31 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,980,917 times
Definitely agree with some of the responses here such as support for legitimate 3rd parties, encouraging better candidates to run, and voter education. Cant really get behind the whole "Bernie was the great hope" sentiment or the "Trump has done more than anyone so far" idea either.

Didn't want this to be about individual politicians and that debate as there are plenty of threads about that, more interested in ideas for what people think can change the current very divided landscape.

Definitely think having more "regular" people run at the local level can start to have some impact down the road though.

Personally I'm on the fence about the whole ranked choice voting. I think it has some good qualities, but overall I'm opposed to an overhaul of the voting system because I don't really think its the election process causing the problem, I think it has more to do with the people entering the system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies