Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2017, 02:48 PM

12,021 posts, read 11,657,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
The Arizona Republican slammed the administration and sharply questioned Mattis over why a new strategy has not been developed to help turn the tide of the war in Afghanistan, where the militant Taliban is overwhelming the Afghan government in key parts of the country and other terrorist groups, like Al Qaeda and the Islamic State, have made new inroads.
IS in Afghanistan (Islamic State in Khorasan Province) is actually a pro-government militia sponsored by the Afghan national intelligence service and draws fighters from the Pakistani Taliban (TTP).

https://www.afghanistan-analysts.org...-in-nangarhar/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2017, 02:48 PM

79,910 posts, read 44,435,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
I really agree with you here.

There has to be a way we can make exiting our wars particularly Afghanistan a cross party bi partisan issue.

maybe getting some of the most extreme groups from the left and right to join up for a protest? Get them in full on hate costumes but walking side by side to prove to both parties it is in their interest to end this.
It won't happen because those of one party will absolutely refuse to not vote for their war monger as that might mean the war monger from the other side might win.

Old 06-15-2017, 02:49 PM

21,557 posts, read 10,683,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
Yes we need to leave Afghanistan so the terrorists can have a save haven to endlessly plan attacks on America. America needs to be punished for all its pasted sins.
I must admitted I'm more liberal than I thought but I see no way to win anything there when I put on my conservative hat. McCain wants war with everyone and will promote it with his last breath.
We need to leave and not let any of them come here.

Old 06-15-2017, 02:58 PM

29,250 posts, read 22,551,025 times
Quote:
Yes we need to leave Afghanistan so the terrorists can have a save haven to endlessly plan attacks on America. America needs to be punished for all its pasted sins.
I must admitted I'm more liberal than I thought but I see no way to win anything there when I put on my conservative hat. McCain wants war with everyone and will promote it with his last breath.
We can always do something else.
Going in and getting out fast is about the only thing that will ever work, possibly. It runs against our grain, but it did work in Panama, Cuba, and other places in our past.

There's nothing to be done that can correct our arming of Afghanistan. But we effectively kicked Al Quida's butt there before, and we can kick it again. The only thing we have to realize is they, and groups like them, won't ever stay ass-kicked forever.

We must also come to the realization that these groups can never be completely wiped out. The best we can do is to discourage them a lot, damage them as much as we can within short time limits, get out and leave them to live with the damage, and be prepared to strike them again if they present a threat to us again.

And if they don't present a threat to us, we must be willing to let them have at each other while we stay out of the way. Otherwise, we must plan to stay there for decades to come, watching our great-grandchildren die on the same ground their grandfathers and fathers died on.

Old 06-15-2017, 05:31 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,664,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
We can always do something else.
Going in and getting out fast is about the only thing that will ever work, possibly. It runs against our grain, but it did work in Panama, Cuba, and other places in our past.

There's nothing to be done that can correct our arming of Afghanistan. But we effectively kicked Al Quida's butt there before, and we can kick it again. The only thing we have to realize is they, and groups like them, won't ever stay ass-kicked forever.

We must also come to the realization that these groups can never be completely wiped out. The best we can do is to discourage them a lot, damage them as much as we can within short time limits, get out and leave them to live with the damage, and be prepared to strike them again if they present a threat to us again.

And if they don't present a threat to us, we must be willing to let them have at each other while we stay out of the way. Otherwise, we must plan to stay there for decades to come, watching our great-grandchildren die on the same ground their grandfathers and fathers died on.
many countries have tried that and it does not really work.

the best solution is always the same one. Give the poeple jobs, a say in how they live and they tend to stop fighting, unfortunately we dont really control that part..

Old 06-15-2017, 06:50 PM

24,620 posts, read 19,268,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
Is it time to just leave?
Not yet, according to your Geo-Political Strategy. Just as soon as Assad in Syrian is gone, you've initiated a conflict with Iran, you'll be able to leave.

Quote:
Yes we need to leave Afghanistan so the terrorists can have a save haven to endlessly plan attacks on America.
All of the evidence shows bin Laden was operating out of Pakistan, not Afghanistan.

Old 06-15-2017, 06:59 PM

38,856 posts, read 25,663,216 times
Lightbulb Mattis: ‘We are not winning in Afghanistan’ Is it time to leave?

The time to leave was 12 years ago after they had their first election. We haven't improved things since.

It'll always be Afghanistan. Our presence there changes nothing but the targets of the homicidal maniacs. When we leave, they'll go back to killing each other.

Old 06-15-2017, 07:03 PM

37,954 posts, read 17,975,976 times
Who will protect the poppy fields?

Old 06-15-2017, 07:06 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,343,011 times
Yes we should leave. We have other more important places to occupy!

Old 06-15-2017, 07:18 PM

197 posts, read 263,333 times
How to end this war:
A new law: Volunteer Army disappears after 36 month of armed conflict ,replaced with a draft of all able bodied persons. If we had had a volunteer army We would still be fighting in Vietnam.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies