Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2017, 04:31 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,186,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
So you want to force us at gunpoint to help you? That's called armed robbery.
I don't want your help at all. I want Americans to be given the right to buy into a non-profit public option with rates set based on the giant risk pool that would ensue from that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2017, 04:44 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,630,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
I don't want your help at all. I want Americans to be given the right to buy into a non-profit public option with rates set based on the giant risk pool that would ensue from that.
A right doesn't need others to pay or require government subsidies. Plenty of charities available to provide what you need.

What you want is welfare by violence.

Old 06-17-2017, 04:47 PM

18,943 posts, read 8,572,972 times
Quote:
The whole point of the thread was to get you all thinking about the multiple ways that your healthcare dollars are funneled to Wall Street. The reason the public option was shot down is simple. There are some very powerful lobbies representing these companies and they were not interested in losing the big money they are making off of our broken healthcare system.

That's why you and your employer can't buy into non-profit Medicare or something similar. But don't worry about me. I actually work in the industry, so the current system works to my financial advantage. It's still not the right thing for our country, and it does leave small business subsidizing big business with little choice.
Two major factions worked against a public option. HC related big business and most of the Right. Obamacare was as a result a bow to both.

I for one still support a Public option. Both as a doc wanting to retain my choice of HC plans I do business with, and who I take care of. And as a patient wanting more choices in HC plans.

Old 06-17-2017, 04:50 PM

8,104 posts, read 3,977,786 times
Quote:
As part of my compensation when I work, I receive employer sponsored health insurance. My employer pays part of the premium that would otherwise come to me in the form of wages or other benefits, or kept by him to invest as he saw fit, to a for profit insurance company that is publicly traded on Wall Street.

I also pay part of the insurance premium, using my wages that I would otherwise spend, donate or invest elsewhere. My employer must offer this benefit in order to remain competitive in terms of attracting competent employees. It is even mandated to a certain degree, depending on your state and the size of your company.

Now, why should we be forced to buy this product from a for-profit corporation that in turn does business with huge for-profit hospital corporations, and restricts my use of practitioners to their contracted panels?

Can anyone please explain to me why the public option in Obamacare, where my employer could have paid premiums into a Medicare for everyone type system instead of subsidizing some other CEOs multi million dollar salary, was shot down?
Excellent Topic
When it comes to our Health care, the only ones being served is the finance sector while everyone else is punished.

I'll bet every 40 cents of your health-care dollar goes to wall street

Old 06-17-2017, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post
Excellent Topic
When it comes to our Health care, the only ones being served is the finance sector while everyone else is punished.

I'll bet every 40 cents of your health-care dollar goes to wall street
Again, what's wrong with Wall Street getting richer? All our retirement is there.

Old 06-17-2017, 04:53 PM

Quote:
As part of my compensation when I work, I receive employer sponsored health insurance. My employer pays part of the premium that would otherwise come to me in the form of wages or other benefits, or kept by him to invest as he saw fit, to a for profit insurance company that is publicly traded on Wall Street.

I also pay part of the insurance premium, using my wages that I would otherwise spend, donate or invest elsewhere. My employer must offer this benefit in order to remain competitive in terms of attracting competent employees. It is even mandated to a certain degree, depending on your state and the size of your company.

Now, why should we be forced to buy this product from a for-profit corporation that in turn does business with huge for-profit hospital corporations, and restricts my use of practitioners to their contracted panels?

Can anyone please explain to me why the public option in Obamacare, where my employer could have paid premiums into a Medicare for everyone type system instead of subsidizing some other CEOs multi million dollar salary, was shot down?
When I think of the utter corruption and abuse in the health "care" industry, this greedy scoundrel comes to mind.

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/21/b...ests.html?_r=0

Martin Shkreli raised the price of a drug that has been around for decades From $13.50 a Tablet to $750.
His response was you can get a discount through your insurance and will not be paying that much

And this is why our insurance premiums are sky high

Old 06-17-2017, 04:54 PM

24,620 posts, read 19,249,558 times
Quote:
That doesn't answer why the public option was shot down, and self-funded plans are still administrated by an insurance company. So you can " thread fail" me all day long, but you did not answer the question.

Senate Democrats were engaged in a highly contentious debate throughout the fall of 2009, and the political life of the public option changed almost daily. The debate reached a critical impasse in November 2009, when Sen. Joseph Lieberman (I-CT), who usually caucuses with the Democrats, threatened to filibuster the Senate bill if it included a public option.

The Origins And DemiseOf The Public Option

Well, there you go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
Why don't you ask your Democrat reps why it was shot down? Obamacare is 100% a democrat boondoggle.
Good point.

Old 06-17-2017, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
Because America is the only country where political bribery and corruption is perfectly legal,
and the industry has bribed nearly every member of Congress.
Pretty Much
We need to throw all lobbyists out of DC!
The Pharma and Insurance Industries along with the Bankers own Washington DC

https://www.opensecrets.org/lobby/to...=a&indexType=i

Top Lobbying Industries

Pharmaceuticals/Health Products $3,146,090,212
Insurance $2,190,651,832

Electric Utilities $2,013,127,133
Electronics Mfg & Equip $1,823,347,451
Business Associations $1,811,811,643
Oil & Gas $1,715,405,541
Misc Manufacturing & Distributing $1,416,425,661
Education $1,399,862,870
Hospitals/Nursing Homes $1,310,021,801
Telecom Services $1,271,840,866
Securities & Investment $1,264,774,284
Civil Servants/Public Officials $1,216,181,432
Real Estate $1,215,135,758
Health Professionals $1,189,983,794
Air Transport $1,125,384,003
Misc Issues $929,225,311
Automotive $891,793,138
Defense Aerospace $887,354,553
Health Services/HMOs $863,410,051
TV/Movies/Music $851,379,595

Old 06-17-2017, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post
When I think of the utter corruption and abuse in the health "care" industry, this greedy scoundrel comes to mind.

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/21/b...ests.html?_r=0

Martin Shkreli raised the price of a drug that has been around for decades From $13.50 a Tablet to $750.
His response was you can get a discount through your insurance and will not be paying that much

And this is why our insurance premiums are sky high
The med at $13 is not profitable. Would you want all manufacturers to stop making that medicine and all people can die or paying $750 so that some people can stay alive?

Old 06-17-2017, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrat View Post
The public option was shot down because a majority of American citizens voted for representatives and senators whom were opposed to the public option.
There I answered it for you, now feel free to move somewhere with UH, Have fun waiting in line!

Thread closed.

RR
Actually No
The Lobbyists shot it down who own DC
Majority of Americans have no say in it nor did they ever

https://act.represent.us/sign/the-problem

“The preferences of the average American appear to have only a miniscule, near-zero, statistically non-significant impact upon public policy.”

One thing that does have an influence?Money. While the opinions of the bottom 90% of income earners in America have a “statistically non-significant impact,” economic elites, business interests, and people who can afford lobbyists still carry major influence.

Most of the people in DC including lobbyists are financial terrorists
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies