Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 04:55 PM

5,661 posts, read 3,529,947 times

Advertisements

This is a study from the Insurance Institute of highway safety.

Looks like driving while high on marijuana can effect ones aunty to drive safe.

It is a long article, I only pasted a little of it. It's a good read.

Are we going to need laws for those who put other people at risk by driving while high?
Like DWI laws are.

I think there should be.

Claim rates go up where marijuana is legal
Legalizing recreational marijuana is linked to increased crashes

Legalizing recreational marijuana use in Colorado, Oregon and Washington has resulted in collision claim frequencies that are about 3 percent higher overall than would have been expected without legalization, a new Highway Loss Data Institute (HLDI) analysis shows. This is HLDI's first report on how marijuana legalization since 2014 has affected crashes reported to insurers.

HDIL conducted a combined analysis using neighboring states as additional controls to examine the collision claims experience of Colorado, Oregon and Washington before and after law changes. Control states included Idaho, Montana, Nevada, Utah and Wyoming, plus Colorado, Oregon and Washington prior to legalization of recreational use. During the study period, Nevada and Montana permitted medical use of marijuana, Wyoming and Utah allowed only limited use for medical purposes, and Idaho didn't permit any use. Oregon and Washington authorized medical marijuana use in 1998, and Colorado authorized it in 2000

The combined-state analysis shows that the first three states to legalize recreational marijuana have experienced more crashes," says Matt Moore, senior vice president of HLDI. "The individual state analyses suggest that the size of the effect varies by state."

Colorado saw the biggest estimated increase in claim frequency compared with its control states. After retail marijuana sales began in Colorado
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2017, 04:58 PM

2,950 posts, read 1,641,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atalanta View Post

Are we going to need laws for those who put other people at risk by driving while high?
Like DWI laws are.

I think there should be.

Claim rates go up where marijuana is legal
Legalizing recreational marijuana is linked to increased crashes

Legalizing recreational marijuana use in Colorado, Oregon and Washington has resulted in collision claim frequencies that are about 3 percent higher overall than would have been expected without legalization, a new Highway Loss Data Institute (HLDI) analysis shows. This is HLDI's first report on how marijuana legalization since 2014 has affected crashes reported to insurers.

HDIL conducted a combined analysis using neighboring states as additional controls to examine the collision claims experience of Colorado, Oregon and Washington before and after law changes. Control states included Idaho, Montana, Nevada, Utah and Wyoming, plus Colorado, Oregon and Washington prior to legalization of recreational use. During the study period, Nevada and Montana permitted medical use of marijuana, Wyoming and Utah allowed only limited use for medical purposes, and Idaho didn't permit any use. Oregon and Washington authorized medical marijuana use in 1998, and Colorado authorized it in 2000

The combined-state analysis shows that the first three states to legalize recreational marijuana have experienced more crashes," says Matt Moore, senior vice president of HLDI. "The individual state analyses suggest that the size of the effect varies by state."

Colorado saw the biggest estimated increase in claim frequency compared with its control states. After retail marijuana sales began in Colorado
There's already laws for driving under the influence of marijuana. They've been in place for decades.

Old 06-22-2017, 04:59 PM

19,731 posts, read 10,160,319 times
Smoking pot is already covered under DUI laws. Maybe a law against driving with the munchies?

Old 06-22-2017, 05:01 PM

31,292 posts, read 20,774,939 times
Quote:

Like DWI laws are.

I think there should be.
I didn't read your link, but nobody should drive while high on any product, legal or illegal.

And BTW, it's already illegal. No new laws needed.

Old 06-22-2017, 05:07 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,519,845 times
3% increase. That's not very much.

Accidents quadrupled (400% increase) in my town when a new traffic circle/roundabout was added.

Safety changes eyed for Venice roundabout - News - Sarasota Herald-Tribune - Sarasota, FL

Old 06-22-2017, 05:15 PM

35,755 posts, read 21,122,405 times
My view. Stupid arrogant self serving selfish drivers cause accidents. Fix that... first

Old 06-22-2017, 05:16 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,595,701 times
So was legalizing alcohol.

Old 06-22-2017, 05:18 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,409,333 times
A 3% increase in that compared to a 25% decrease in opiod deaths.

Hmmmmmm......yeah I'm happy it got legalized here in oregon.

Old 06-22-2017, 05:34 PM

5,661 posts, read 3,529,947 times
What are the legal ramifications if caught driving high?
I don't know.
Alcohol what is that now? I believe it allot of money, license suspended, mandatory alcohol classes. I think.

Is it enforced as much?

Old 06-22-2017, 05:38 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,787,319 times
Quote:
What are the legal ramifications if caught driving high?
I don't know.
Alcohol what is that now? I believe it allot of money, license suspended, mandatory alcohol classes. I think.

Is it enforced as much?
Depends on the state.

Some are a lot stricter and/or more punitive about DWI than others.

Don't know exactly what you mean by "enforced as much". If a cop stops a driver who is being erratic, the cop will make a determination as to what is the likely cause. I can't imagine a cop stopping an erratic driver and saying "we're only looking for drunks tonight, stoners are free to go."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies